• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critique my backyard course

Nemmers

Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
I have a bit of land behind my house. Not too awful much, but enough for an addict with a dream and a Discatcher Sport to be dangerous. I'm planning on hosting a BBQ at my house for some of my fellow throwers in the New Hanover Disc Golf Club sometime in the next few weeks to break it in. I could make a pretty sweet 9-hole ace run course, but I wanted to try my hand at making a few legit holes, incorporating the land as much as possible. I was able to fit six holes, incorporating four baskets:

6holes-4baskets.jpg

I'm fairly limited in basket placement because I don't want to place them in a location that would make neighbors' houses, vehicles, children or other associated toys vulnerable to an errant shot. That's why there are a couple shared tees and baskets.

I'll post pics of the actual layout later if anyone is interested. Hole #2 is shaping up to be particularly challenging because it'll be situated on a six-foot drop-off in front of a tree, with water on either side. (The pond has come up significantly since this satellite image was taken.)

Take a look and let me know what you think.

Nice work!
And you have a recent satellite map. Google Earth still has older images of my courses. A lot can grow and change in 3-8 yrs.
Have fun

If hole 6 is 372' total, it can't be a 372' water carry. Just eyeballing the map, looks like you have to throw about halfway to carry the water. I'd guesstimate about a 190' water carry, give or take.

If hole 6 is 372' total, it can't be a 372' water carry. Just eyeballing the map, looks like you have to throw about halfway to carry the water. I'd guesstimate about a 190' water carry, give or take.

Hole 6 is carries over the water about 150'. You're not throwing over the water completely. There's no OB (except for the obvious water) and there are several lay-up choices available.

Hard to tell just from this view, but it looks like you've got all straight shots, and a couple of trees that aren't involved as obstacles. Is it possible to tweak things so that those trees force hyzers or anhyzers, or perhaps a low-ceiling tee or approach shot?

I like it but it sure looks to me that it's farther than 150' especially if this is true. (The pond has come up significantly since this satellite image was taken.) Nice home course..........

Here's a video from the player's view:

Yeah....I'm new at this whole video making/editing thing....

Th video shows off the elevation well, and helps to explain the risk/reward you've got, especially on holes 2/6. I like the multiple usage of baskets and tees on a private lot. Are the woods to the left on the map a possibility, to make a tight green on 3 or a forced line off a tee out on 4?

edit...ps: you could go 7, 8 & 9 by shooting from #2 tee to #5 basket, #4 tee to #2 basket & then #2 tee to #1 basket.

Last edited:
Nice little course to get out and do a little practice. I'm sure as your game progresses you'll want to lengthen and toughen up the course a lil. For example hole 1 to 2s basket would work fine for a nice 350 or so hyzer (a very common and useful shot). If I was you I'd just keep changing it up for fun. But as for a lil get together it's a nice short course to run through with a beer or two and maybe some dollars to bet.

Nice little course to get out and do a little practice. I'm sure as your game progresses you'll want to lengthen and toughen up the course a lil. For example hole 1 to 2s basket would work fine for a nice 350 or so hyzer (a very common and useful shot). If I was you I'd just keep changing it up for fun. But as for a lil get together it's a nice short course to run through with a beer or two and maybe some dollars to bet.

+1. Some of my friends would undoubtedly end up in the water after a few beers and I'm sure I would be the one that would have to pull them out, lol.

Hard to tell just from this view, but it looks like you've got all straight shots, and a couple of trees that aren't involved as obstacles. Is it possible to tweak things so that those trees force hyzers or anhyzers, or perhaps a low-ceiling tee or approach shot?

It's hard to incorporate obstacles with the little bit of land at my disposal, but considering the location and the courses available locally I didn't take too much time worrying about obstacles what with Castle Hayne six miles away. :D

Nice little course to get out and do a little practice. I'm sure as your game progresses you'll want to lengthen and toughen up the course a lil. For example hole 1 to 2s basket would work fine for a nice 350 or so hyzer (a very common and useful shot).

I agree. There are tons of possibilities on and around the backyard, and I plan on using all of them as long as I'm here. Of course, I will probably need a lot of help from my local club throwers to get their perspective on what constitutes a great course....but therein lies the fun! :D

If I was you I'd just keep changing it up for fun. But as for a lil get together it's a nice short course to run through with a beer or two and maybe some dollars to bet.

Verily I say unto thee....this to shall pass...

:p

Thanks, brother!

Six miles away from Castle Hayne? I am now very jealous! I love CH........

That's exactly what I was thinking. It's on the way back to the house anyway.

True....and this occurred to me too. I'm going to have a few guys over from the club to drink some beers and design & set up the course before we play. I've gotten enough responses that it sounds like there will be enough extra baskets for a full 9. However, I don't think a square acre (and change) could handle that.