• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critique My Bag

Qbert

Birdie Member
Hello everyone this is my first post but I have read quite a bit on this forum. I would like some feedback on my current bag setup and some suggestions on what discs I might want to add to the bag. Currently I am definitely a minimalist only carrying 6 discs on the average round. I have always been a fan of discing down and I like to take time to get to know a disc before I attempt to add it to my regular line up. So here are my stats and the contents of the bag, feel free to give feedback/suggestions/critique/whatever.

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: DG 1 year and a few Months; 4 years of Club Ultimate
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: LHBH (I dont know how it ended up like that but when i first picked up a disc it just felt right in my left hand haha)
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: Wizard: 250/280'; Buzzz: 275/315'; Leopard: 360/395

Optional:
Sex: Male
Injuries/handicaps?: None
Other sport proficiencies?: Soccer, Ultimate
What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: I feel like my bag is pretty well balanced at the moment and I am very confident with all the discs I keep in the regular line up.
Specific areas of desired feedback: I know that to continue to progress I will need to add some longer discs in and I'm looking to add one more (probably understable) mid to my bag. I have been thinking about a x comet for the midrange and maybe a champ Valk for the driver.
Immediate and long-term goals: I would like to add some drivers to my bag for some added distance and add another understable mid that i can add a little more distance to.

Bag:
Drivers:
169 Champ Leopard 10/10 - Any Drives over 350' I can throw it super strait, hyzer flip, or nice anny lines. This disc has great glide and is very controllable for me.

Mids:
174 Z Buzzz, 8/10 - main mid
172 X Stratus, 6/10 - hyzer flips, annys, rollers(very rare). I love the glide on this disc and I can throw it in all sorts of different situations but it isn't the longest disc so I have been thinking about switching it with a X Comet.

Putters:
175 S Wizard, 7/10 - drives/approaches This disc is by far my favorite. It will hold whatever line I put on it and I can rip it with plenty of distance and control. When in doubt I go for the Wiz.

174 Glow Wizard, 7/10 - When I'm making a run at the chains this disc is in my hands. Soft, grippy, and it holds lines real well like my other Wizard.

Random/Experimental Discs(Not in the Bag):
174 Star Aviar BB Driver 10/10
172 Pro Wraith 8/10
173 Star Monster 10/10(Found this, I have only thrown it in field practice a few times XD)

So after that wall of text lemme know what you think. Anything and everything is appreciated :thmbup:

Try a TeeBird, TL or a Valk if you are getting that D with the leo...

I would suggest an eagle x as a complement to the leopard, another buzz to have the same mold but in different stages of wear, and if you really want a faster driver like your leopard then valk is what ya want

if you like the buzz, try a meteor for understable mid. a comet will not be longer than a stratus, necessarily. it is slower but has more glide. depending on the line and vertical space you have, one may be longer than the other. maybe try a new stratus to compliment your worn one and see what you can do with it.

since the leopard is very versatile for you, a good stable control driver like a champ/star teebird or star eagle would be a good choice. for pure distance, try a star or pro valk instead of champ. they will have more turn and glide.

since the leopard is very versatile for you, a good stable control driver like a champ/star teebird or star eagle would be a good choice. for pure distance, try a star or pro valk instead of champ. they will have more turn and glide.

x2. pro valk is a great disc.

pro anything really, valk/orc/wraith/destroyer. valk is a good place to start.

i'd compliment the leopard with an eagle x or tbird. you might also want to look in to an overstable putter or mid for upshots like a zone, drone or pig. you could even add in something like a banshee or whippet as well for utility purposes.

well you've seen it a dozen times. Teebird to compliment the Leopard (or eagle.....pick teebird ;))

Put the monster in your bag for when you need Large turns until you get something like a Pred/Firebid/Banshee/XXX. You need something overstable.

Try:
Champ or Star TB around 170g
Z Comet around 170g

You probably have enough arm to try out the Pro Wraith you already have - if its too overstable for your preferences, I would agree with the Valk suggestions

You could also probably make use of a very OS driver (Your monster or Firebird, Pred, XXX or similar) for hard fading or high wind shots

if you like the buzz, try a meteor for understable mid. a comet will not be longer than a stratus, necessarily. it is slower but has more glide. depending on the line and vertical space you have, one may be longer than the other. maybe try a new stratus to compliment your worn one and see what you can do with it.

The Meteor would be a good choice for an understable mid to throw, I'll the Fuse b/c the rim, IMO, feels more like a Buzzz rim than the Meteor, but the glide may make it overlap with the Stratus.

well you've seen it a dozen times. Teebird to compliment the Leopard (or eagle.....pick teebird ;))

Put the monster in your bag for when you need Large turns until you get something like a Pred/Firebid/Banshee/XXX. You need something overstable.

The OS driver is a key, but I think you could kill two birds with a max weight Eagle-X and either a regular Eagle or lighter Eagle-X

I think a Hornet/Drone/Gator (Overstable mid) would be a good choice also.

I'd also throw in a Wasp or Pain, not quite as overstable as the others, but seeing as you don't throw much OS plastic it might be a easy place to start.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. The next discs on my buy list are a new stratus and after doing some more research I think I'm going to pick up a TL. One of my friends has a Pro Eagle he can lend me so I should be able to get a nice comparison. Any thoughts on the plastic for the stratus and the TL?

Also I have really been thinking about getting an X or ESP Comet to keep tabs on my form and one of my buddies rips one so I kinda wanna try one too lol. Any thoughts on plastic for this? I believe I have read that the X is more understable and better for working on form.

TL plastic depends on what you're looking for, if you want a longer leopard type disc go Star TL, if you want something more stable go with champ. If you do look in to champs I recommend finding some CFR champ TLs and not the new production champ TL+ molds, they're domey and no fun.

At the distances you're throwing I recommend the champs and if you do get a CFR champ TL it'll be pretty stable at first but once you beat it in good it'll be a very accurate straight flier. The drawback is they don't have a ton of glide in champ, if you're looking for more of a max distance disc with less accuracy grab a River. They're not as accurate for me but they have more distance potential.

Thanks for all the feed back peeps. I have added the Pro Wraith to my bag and it was a great addition. I haven't done any real measuring for my drives with it but i can probably put it another25-30' farther than the Lep (eyeballed the distance of course though so? XD). I also like how its not super stable and I can manipulate the lines fairly well. I'm in the process of getting another couple discs, a new X Stratus and a DX Teebird. Changed my mind from the TL cause I didn't really feeling like spending ~$15 on a champ or star disc when I can get 2 pro discs for 8. I might get a fresh pro wraith or a more overstable distance driver to even the bag out a little.

Its been a couple months since I have posted up the contents of my bag so here is an update.

Putters:
Eraser Wizard - Go to putter
Eraser Wizard - New stable driving putter with some fade at the end
Soft Wizard - Beat flippy driving putter
SS Glow Wizard - Super strait driving putter

Mids:
X Stratus - Super Beat now and extremely understable. Specialty and roller disc
X Comet - Longer turnover and anny shots
Z Buzzz - Still super strait and holds lines like a champ. I can tell its getting a little more worn in but still my go to mid.

Drivers:
Champ Leopard - Utility driver, annys, hyzers, lazer beams. Love this disc.
Pro Leopard - Flatter and more stable than my champ but I'm in the process of beating it into the perfect spot. I like how it is more glidey than the champ.
DX Teebird - Classic leo/teebird combo. Longer shots with more fade at the end.
DX Destroyer - Its lighter weight so its not as stable as others I have thrown but I have been digging it alot more than the wraith that I use to throw. Its a straighter disc for me with some added distance.

Comments and criticisms are all welcome. Thanks :thmbup:

i like how minimalist you are at driver/mid... but whats going on with putter? you have three driving putters? are these roles you couldn't accomplish with one of the mids by powering back or throwing one putter on an anny/flex shot?

Yeah I have honestly been thinking about taking out the glow wizard. I can throw the soft super strait but I have a problem with my wizards lol. Once I need some more room in my bag it will probably be the first thing to go.

I'm wanting to get a teebird and destroyer in higher end plastic but I'm not sure what kind yet. I saw pro teebirds on the innova proshop website and the though of that is amazing. Any disc in pro sounds amazing to me actually haha.

Another few changes to the bag after a few weeks but I feel like I am really finding the discs that fit my arm.

Putters:

Mids:
X Stratus - Almost too beat to keep in the bag and soon the X Comet will be broken in enough to cover its shots.
X Comet - Longer turnover and anny shots. Super strait shots that I want to end anny or want to glide for miles.
Seasoned Z Buzzz - This is the mid I grab more than any other. No fade left in this thing. Holds anny lines and will finish flat when thrown flat. Absolutely love this disc.
Fresh Z Buzzz - Same as my seasoned but has some fade at the end and will flex out of softer/higher anny shots.
Ti Buzzz - Experimenting with this at the moment. It has the same flight characteristics as my fresh Z Buzzz. I feel like the Ti plastic is more grippy than the Z but I still need to spend some more quality time with it before I can make any real verdict on the new plastic.

Drivers:
Pro Leopard - Super strait fairway. Holds lines very well now that it has been beaten in some. My go to when I want some added control but still want some nice distance.
DX Teebird - Classic leo/teebird combo. Now super flippy, used for long hyzerflips
11x Champ Teebird - Headwind fairway driver. When I need that reliable right hand fade at the end of my shot.
DX Destroyer - Its lighter weight so its not as stable as others I have thrown but I have been digging it alot more than the wraith that I use to throw. Its a straighter disc for me with some added distance.
Pro Destroyer - More stable version of the DX. Long headwind driver and can skip well when I throw it on a hyzer line.

Got rid of the champ Leopard and soon I will more than likely remove the stratus from my bag and get a new X Comet to compliment the broken in one. I will also be getting a new DX Teebird to compliment the beat one and start rotating them.
I would like to find one with the same flight characteristics as my DX but with more life in the disc. I have thought about getting a Pro Teebird but all the reviews I have found have lead me to seek another type of plastic. Maybe star but I dunno at this point.

New bag setup again. Got rid of the Pro Leopard and X Stratus, and added a Blizz Destroyer.

Putters:

Mids:
X Comet - Longer turnover and anny shots. Super strait shots that I want to end anny or want to glide for miles.
Seasoned Z Buzzz - This is the mid I grab more than any other. No fade left in this thing. Holds anny lines and will finish flat when thrown flat. Absolutely love this disc.
Fresh Z Buzzz - Same as my seasoned but has some fade at the end and will flex out of softer/higher anny shots.
Ti Buzzz - Experimenting with this at the moment. It has the same flight characteristics as my fresh Z Buzzz. I feel like the Ti plastic is more grippy than the Z but I still need to spend some more quality time with it before I can make any real verdict on the new plastic.

Drivers:
Beat DX Teebird - Super flippy fairway driver. Anything I want to finish left but I need to go farther than the Comet.
Mid DX Teebird - Throw flat with alot of snap will finish left but with enough air it will fade back flat. Also nice for long hyzer-flips.
11x Champ Teebird - Headwind fairway driver. When I need that reliable right hand fade at the end of my shot.
DX Destroyer - Long distance drives. Has a good turn and predictable fade. My go to flat out distance disc for the time being.
Blizzard Destroyer - Fits in between the DX and Pro well. Can bomb flat and it stays flat and has the nice destroyer fade that I like. Great addition to the bag.
Pro Destroyer - More stable version of the DX. Long headwind driver and can skip well when I throw it on a hyzer line.

For the past couple weeks I have felt out of time on my drives and have had poor performance while throwing my Destroyers so I have taken them out of the bag for now. Once I find that natural rhythm again I will put them back in the bag but discing down again for now.

Some other changes I have made are:
Replacing my 11x Champ Teebird for a new 12x. Better color and more stable. I also would like to really get to know a Champ Teebird from fresh to broken in.
I also replaced my super flippy beat to death DX Teebird with a First Run Pro. My more stable DX will get beat in and the Pro should stay in that sweet spot that I like so much. (Got the Pro used)

Removed my very beat Glow Wizard and added a G9 Wizard which should make a much better addition to the bag. The G9 is much more stable than my others so it will be a perfect windy/overstable putter.

So this is what my Current line-up is looking like:
Putters:
Eraser Wizard - Strait Driving
G9 Wizard - Headwind driving and putts

Mids:
Fresh Z Buzzz - Strait with a stronger fade than my other 2 Buzzzs. My wind shot Buzzz.
Ti Buzzz - Fits nicely in between my two Z Buzzzs. Strait but with a tad of fade at the end.

Drivers:
7/10 DX Teebird - Throw flat with alot of snap will finish left but with enough air it will fade back flat. Also nice for long hyzer-flips.
First Run Pro Teebird - Perfect for long hyzer-flips like my DX but it wont beat in as fast. Awesome for tailwind drives and dead strait shots.
12x Champ Teebird - Headwind fairway driver. When I need that reliable right hand fade at the end of my shot.