• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critters on the course you ran into...

seen tins of bunnies on my home course lately not to mention a hairy beaver in the middle of the woods with no lake or water around. It was really odd and threw my off my came

you got hairy beaver up there?!

no hairy beavers around here. in fact hardly any beaver at all. hairy beavers need nair.:\

You're telling me it was an added penalty for going past the basket on number one. You seen that razor comercial? Wow I got superpsyched out on my putt

We've got copperheads at my home course. A guy recently saw one with a rabbit halfway down his gullet, totally vulnerable, but he left it alone. That was probably the rabbit that my dog has been chasing around between holes 8 and 9. I've also seen a snake skin while walking in the woods with my dog, probably a copperhead as well. Some folks killed a copperhead recently that was on the course (not in the woods near it), presumably to protect the families, especially the kids, that play on the course. I made sure the group I played with pulled the dead snake body out of the creek when we found it so it wouldn't contaminate the water. Please, people, if you kill your local snakes, at least don't dump the bodies in the creek. My dog drinks out of that water. :thmbdown:

Venom is non-toxic if/when swallowed.

A full grown Copperhead can only eat the smallest, nesting baby rabbits. A large Copperhead is only about 30 inches long. Rarely reaching 36 inches. Still not large enough for the average rabbit. Spring and fall are the most common time of year to see a Copperhead. Warmer months push Copperheads to a nocturnal lifestyle.

Copperheads play a pivotal role in controlling rodent populations. Without copperheads and other rodent eating snakes there would be a drastic increase in crop/food damage and rodent spread diseases. While Copperheads are venomous they are very placid snakes that only bite if stepped on or otherwise threatened. If you see a copperhead, leave it alone and rest assured it will do its best to avoid you.

Copperheads vs. species most commonly misidentified as copperheads

Northern Copperhead vs. Eastern Ratsnake (A.K.A. Blackrat Snake)

Probably the most common snake misidentified as a copperhead is the harmless juvenile eastern ratsnake (formerly called the blackrat snake). The eastern ratsnake starts life with a strong pattern of gray or brown blotches on a pale gray background. As the eastern ratsnake ages the pattern fades and the snake becomes black, often with just a hint of the juvenile pattern remaining.

Lewis, this post isn't directed entirely towards your post. Ever since I could read, I have studied all animals, especially reptiles. When I hear anyone with little biology or herpetology background say "Copperhead", an image of a Ratsnake instantly pops into my mind. Cause I know... 99.9% of the time, the animal has been misidentified.

woody.jpg

I guess it's a Red Bellied Woodpecker. Lives in the big dead tree, right in the driving range/hole 9 fairway area at the Z.

I played a round with Jukeshoe on Friday and we saw a doe just snooping around the fairway. I've never been that close to a deer that wasn't in captation.

Lewis, this post isn't directed entirely towards your post. Ever since I could read, I have studied all animals, especially reptiles. When I hear anyone with little biology or herpetology background say "Copperhead", an image of a Ratsnake instantly pops into my mind. Cause I know... 99.9% of the time, the animal has been misidentified.

And I don't claim to know my snakes either. Much of my post was hearsay anyway; I'm only witness to a nondescript snakeskin in the woods and a headless dead body by the creekside. I figure even without any risk from venom, a dead body in the water is still going to contaminate it. With her antiseptic mouth, my dog may be at less risk than humans would be, but there are also children who play in that creek. :gross:

I had a lie about 3 feet beneath a copperhead perched up on a rock at Jorden Creek. Of course I noticed the snake after I was already bent over picking up the disc. Boy, was I lucky he didn't bite me.

Didn't get any pics, but we saw a huge red fox at TC3 last Thursday evening. And then we saw a much smaller one Monday afternoon at Como Lake Park.

Saw a cool turtle next to hole 10s basket at Foothills last Saturday, he was just chillin, head out and everything and just look at us when we holed out.

Last week at Cat Hollow, A buddy and I had crazy encounter with a Doe, a Fawn and a very scared dog.

We were on hole 14 waiting for the mob that was putting to hole out. I had walked up to make sure the hole was clear, since you cant see the basket from the tee. Suddenly this tiny fawn bolts out some cedars to my left almost running into me. I look back to see if my friend saw it and was laughing at me only to see a paniced dog running towards me and a Doe about 10 feet in the air. I started clapping my hands because I did not want the doe to charge me. I moved off the fairway and watched the doe hunt down the dog chasing it back to hole 12 where the dog finally lost the deer.

My friend said he was sitting on the little bench and saw the dog run out of the rough and then the deer jump almost over him and land 30 feet away. He said it was close enough that he ducked. We laughed about it but one of could have really been hurt. Good times though

I nearly stepped on this guy while searching for my destroyer that I tossed about 200 feet beyond the hole on #17 at Giants Ridge in MN. Didn't see an adult anywhere (it was probably chasing my dog!) but seriously, I'm glad my dog didn't find the fawn before I did, I have no idea what he'd do with it, but I can't imagine that it would be pretty.

IMG_2377.jpg

Now I was about 20 ft from the hawk that I have seen taking down magpies left and right. He is a beast, should have a disc named after him...maybe a millenium??

Latest posts