• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critters on the course you ran into...

got bit or clamped on by something in the water today...either a crab or turtle but i freaked out because there are cotton mouths in those waters

Spotted a deer on hole #8 at the brand new Pine Ridge DG course in Blairsville, PA. She wouldn't move, even as I was about to tee off. So I was thinking to myself "I could either get an ace or hit the deer -- either way, something could end up on my wall!"

d8f31697.jpg

8:00 am, hole three at the local frisbee throwin' park: i throw my first shot up into the start of the woody area. it lands about 80 feet in past the clearing, i walk up through the clearing. suddenly, i notice a buck watching me from the right side off a way behind some trees. i kept staring at him, he kept staring at me. it was almost as if he was waiting for me to throw...

so i take the aero out of my bag and get ready to make my second throw. before i do, i check the buck again. still staring at me. i crank back, make my throw...goes about 30 feet before it ricochets off a tree, and right as this happens, i look over at the buck again and he's still looking at me for just a second, before he goes back to sniffing around on the forest floor.

at that point, i realized that not only was that deer waiting for me to throw, but he was also unimpressed by my effort.

Shawnee Mission Park, deers run rampant. Its insane. Also, I've seena large increase in woodchucks around, particularly at Rosedale.

I saw a yellow racer near the tee pad at hole 4 at Orchard Park. I almost stepped on him :(

I haven't seen any garter snakes since I was a kid.

A couple of years ago at Northwood Park Morton, IL. my wife, son and I were trying to squeeze in the rest of a round before dark, when we heard pop pop pop-pop-pop-pop. I thought at first it was fireworks, but, after the first couple I looked at my wife and said, that's gunfire...let's get the heck out of here!!!
As we're driving out, on hole 17 there is a Morton cop standing there over a dead deer. Turns out that the deer had been hit by a car and was in pretty bad shape and the cop was just putting it out of it's misery.
The sad thing is it took him like 7 SHOTS TO GET THE JOB DONE....
Back to the practice range buddy!!!

I got to see the owls on our home course's A-F holes last night. I love owls and had heard that they were there, but never got to see them. The smaller one sat in a tree and watched my group of eight go right by.

Then, on 18, a bat swooped my disc just after release and put it into a tree. Well, the bat swooped the disc, and it was found in the tree, so I'm sticking with my story :)

Almost stepped on a big snake a week ago. He was not happy at all!

Biz
Team Bert

P.s. Shore Acres has a legend of Mellon Heads, humanoids that have terrified people for years, even before it was dg course. True story.

I got to see the owls on our home course's A-F holes last night. I love owls and had heard that they were there, but never got to see them. The smaller one sat in a tree and watched my group of eight go right by.

Then, on 18, a bat swooped my disc just after release and put it into a tree. Well, the bat swooped the disc, and it was found in the tree, so I'm sticking with my story :)

what kind of owls? course?

I ran into several of these today at Renny while out on the course. Needless to say I wasnt stupid enough to pick one of these suckers up.....
cowkilr.JPG

It's called a Cow Killer....(and no, they cant kill cows)....They supposedly have a nasty sting that is extremely painful. They are basically a "wingless wasp" so to speak. So if you ever see one of these DO NOT try and pick it up! LOL! Red means,

!WARNING!: I will straight sting yo a**!

I ran into several of these today at Renny while out on the course. Needless to say I wasnt stupid enough to pick one of these suckers up.....
cowkilr.JPG

It's called a Cow Killer....(and no, they cant kill cows)....They supposedly have a nasty sting that is extremely painful. They are basically a "wingless wasp" so to speak. So if you ever see one of these DO NOT try and pick it up! LOL! Red means,

!WARNING!: I will straight sting yo a**!

Man, those things just look mean. Of course, we have these all over my home course. They have a nasty bite, but you really gotta piss them off. They are all over the course, so you have to watch where you walk:

spiderondisc.jpg

I was playing a course down in Baton Rouge, LA and a snapping turtle took a nice chunk out of my disc. It was a found disc so I wasn't completely heartbroken. Nature giveth and nature taketh away.

Yeah ZBOAZ, I had read that article as well. In fact supposedly these things are supposed to have the longest stingers on record of the "wasp/hornet" family. I picked up a twig and held one of those cow killers against the ground so I could provoke it to let its stinger out. Its stinger was pretty long.

I had never seen one before until yesterday. I stopped and just watched it for awhile. It mostly was just in a hurry to get the heck on down the way.....