• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critters on the course you ran into...

Let me walk right up onto it before it flagged and ran. I don't thing it moved when the disc landed at its feet haha.

Attachments

• IMAG0128.jpg
    IMAG0128.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 247
Earlier this season, I drove a disc very badly and watched it as it skipped off a gravel path well short of the basket and straight into a small stream. When I took off my socks and shoes and started wading for my disc, I found this small goldfish swimming underneath. This is about as close to a disc golf trick shot as I will ever get.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 229
I also play the Root River course in the south suburbs of Milwaukee early on a lot of Sunday mornings and I encounter this family quite often, most of the time right off of Hole 1.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 162
wild turkey on hole 17 Tuthill Sioux Falls, SD

544916_10205244587218818_1657365552868664435_n.jpg

Well let me start off saying that I had a GREAT day doing fieldwork. So... after 10-15 min. of throwing warm ups, nature calls. The soccer field pota potty had been removed earlier in the week because of Winter coming. I ended up going into the woods to do my duty. While in there, I heard a noise to the right of me so I looked and there was a huge phesant walking like it didn't have a care in the world. I stood up and the bugger skwalked and took off. Wish my phone was in my hand rather than azzwipe.

No disc golf yet, but I mountain bike single track trails right near disc golf courses in Rowlett, TX and ROckwall, TX. Someone posted in this thread back in 2010 about seeing a mountain lion, so far that's the highlight of my sightings, saw him a few years back on a trail in the early morning hours. I've also come across a bobcat, river otters, beavers, a few deer, of course possums, armadillos, squirrels and rabbits with an unlimited amount of snakes of all kinds. Today I get to start my actual disc golf adventure though, pretty stoked about that. Only played a few times but today setting up my own starter bag and getting underway.

No disc golf yet, but I mountain bike single track trails right near disc golf courses in Rowlett, TX and ROckwall, TX. Someone posted in this thread back in 2010 about seeing a mountain lion, so far that's the highlight of my sightings, saw him a few years back on a trail in the early morning hours. I've also come across a bobcat, river otters, beavers, a few deer, of course possums, armadillos, squirrels and rabbits with an unlimited amount of snakes of all kinds. Today I get to start my actual disc golf adventure though, pretty stoked about that. Only played a few times but today setting up my own starter bag and getting underway.

Good for you!! You will find this an amazing sport. Lots to learn but it's worth it.

Y'all are freaking nuts grabbing snakes. There are way to many poisonous snakes around here to be jacking with. I play a course at least once a month that is on a venemous snake preserve. I've seen quite a few out there but I ain't gonna walk up and grab them.

I friggin hate snakes. I've been struck 4 times. Two copperheads and two rattlers, all boot strikes. I'm contemplating living indoors because my luck will eventually run out.

If you've been struck 4 times you really need to open your eyes , not move so quickly when your out on the course and don't tread so lightly. Snakes don't like you any more than you like them and most times will feel you approach and move off rather than risk confrontation. Snakes are not territorial and they don't see us as food so the only reason they strike at us is if they are startled or feel trapped.

Turkeys pretty common
seems like a banner year for squirrels and chipmunks they are everywhere
but within 3 holes last week on our newer "still a work in process " highest course-
saw a pair of moose and then a bear- def got the heart beating...
the moose checked me out from about 200' away then ran off when I made noise
the bear I saw from about 100 yds middle of the fairway- scary part came after I
backed away then looked again & he was gone but I had no idea which way he went-
I still played the hole but whistled/ yelled loudly , never heard or saw him again...

I used to see this albino squrriel all the time at a local course. Then one day I found its tail on the ground. So I think it died :(.

I also remember hearing a story of a beaver killing someone on here.

Not that unusual to see a squirrel in the woods, but, what was unusual was that after I threw my Suspect and watched it worrying if it was going to clip the tree, at that moment, a squirrel ran up the tree and my Suspect clipped its tail! The critter did a 180, screeched and tore off across the ground!

Not an unusual critter in and of itself, but unusual due to the circumstances. Got a full grown Doe in our park that likes to roam around near holes 1 to 3... but the Roanoke Rapids Lake Park is entirely fenced in. There's 2 front gates and nowhere else to get in or out except if you swam in the lake. Doubting that she's coming in swimming, I don't know when or how she slipped in through the front gate. The park maintenance guy said when they close for winter maintenance in 2 weeks if she's still around he's going to do his best to scare her out through the front gate.

By far the rarest was a pair of bald eagles that had a nest near the course at a reservoir. They liked to stand near a basket, a few people actually suggested to throw through just saying "they'll move"

Had a disc land close to a skunk once, and he kept circling the disc. I think he was waiting for me.

One of my first ever times ever throwing a disc, I saw someone knock out a nest of 4 Robin eggs.

At Colchester's University of Essex course there are crazy amounts of rascally little rabbits that roam the campus. They're pretty cute, until you see hundreds of their rotting corpses all over the course. Apparently, the campus poisons their water supply each summer for one reason or another.

Well, being that Fall is ending up in Minn, I wwnt to a local small but technical course in Stillwater, MN. I played 3 rounds at Brekke Park ( takes around 20 min. per 9 holes). After playing I went to my regular soccer field for some practice in a rather windy day. While my practice was going well, I noticed 2 Bald Eagles soaring overhead. What I witnessed is something I hqve read about and seen videos of. One on the Eagles was pestering the other and went and turned upside down and both birds locked talons and did somersaults heading for the ground. This display is called "whirling" and from what I gather is something they do as a form of play and dominance.
I sure wish I had a camera with high powered lens to try and capture the event. They locked up 3 times until they glided out of sight.
Great time out hucking today!!

These little guys were messing up the field on 18 at Hornings, but this one got flushed out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 226
I was doing some field work today. I had thrown most of my bag and was down to my last two discs, very overstable, that I use to practice forehand rollers. I threw the first one and when it was about halfway down the field a coyote comes tearing out of the bushes chasing after it. The disc runs out of steam before the coyote can get to it, so he runs up and just looks at it. I throw my last disc. He sees it coming and starts chasing it down. He catches it before it stops and grabs it in his mouth, holds it for a few seconds and drops it. He then notices one of my other discs lying in the field, picks it up and runs off into the woods. I had to chase the little bastard for a quarter of a mile before he finally dropped it. Fortunately, my bag and all my other discs were still there when I got back.

Last month at Fiddleneck DGC in Valley Springs, CA we saw a big bird and a guy asked me if it was an eagle. I told the guy it was an osprey. Two seconds later, here comes a bald eagle chasing the osprey out of its territory. Another couple seconds later a great blue heron flew by like it was following the action. Three different giant birds all in a row was pretty cool.

Last edited:
Hudson Mills Monster, #14's basket in the background.
Pic was taken from the road as I was leaving the park this evening.
picture.php

Latest posts