• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critters on the course you ran into...

zbscorp.jpg

Striped Bark Scorpion, Z-Boaz today.

Those things are all over the hill country. That thing wasn't still alive was it?

Got stung by bees playing Old Coachman. Never saw them but had to start running. They kept stinging. I am wondering if they were africanized. I tried playing a few more holes and my scalp started itching. Then my ears felt like they were full of fluid. Then my whole body started itching. I went to my car, looked in the mirror and I had the "Hitch" look...face all swollen and unrecognizable! I had no idea I was allergic. I ran and grabbed some benadryl. Fortunately everything worked out great. Just broke out in hives from head to toe.

Once I threw an Eagle and a hawk crossed its flight path.

I was playing at night (glow disc is awesome, its so easy to find your discs). Anyway I found this creepy crawly thing that was glowing like a lightning bug. I thought that I had found a new bug, so I took it home. It turns out that lightning bugs are creepy crawlies before they mature.

I got stung by a scorpion on the last knuckle of my pinky finger, 5 or so years back, at Circle C in Austin. I was grabbing a rock to knock my disc out of a tree on hole 18 when it popped me. I'd been stung on the side before and it only felt like a bee sting. On the knuckle felt like someone drove a hot nail through my finger. Not fun.

Thomas just reminded me of a time, hole 15 @ the Z: Large Redtail Hawk, under the canopy. Interesting. Cameraphones start getting close. WHOOF! Hawk takes off in a fast b-line to... SQUIRREL! LMFAO you shoulda seen that squirrel freak out. Hawk missed, flew thru the trees in a semi-circle and appears to land on a nest. STOMP! STOMP! STOMP! Hawk begins tearing apart the nest. Apparently a sqirrels nest. Then someone got too close, and the hawk left.

This particular hawk is one of a pair that call Z-Boaz DGC home. We see him all the time.

I seen a hawk do that at the USDGC last year down at Winny Gold. It came from across the lake and tried to scoop up a squirrel right near hole #2 teepad.

Krazy Kritters

Water Mocassin. My buddy lost a dx Viper (ha) and almost got bit by one that was sleeping. It was at Spring Valley in Spring, Texas. Love the course tho

Those things are all over the hill country. That thing wasn't still alive was it?

Yeap, it's alive. Depending on how your body reacts, she could be slightly dangerous. I've handled many venomous animals, this one was freakish to pick up at first, but she was very calm. My team mate actually said "Don't come near me" and back-stepped several feet away, lol. I moved her to a safer location.

For what it's worth... don't wear sandals at Z-Boaz.

I saw a Coyote jogging across the course at Bijou park in S. Lake Tahoe.

While on Vacation back in March, I was out in Reno and went over to Tahoe and played Zephyr and Bijou, at Zephyr on one of the holes we heard these dogs barking and going crazy, we looked up as 4 coyotes came charging right up over the ridge at us. When they seen us, they abruptly changed directions and went the other way, meanwhile these two blood hound looking dogs continued the chase. It was the strangest thing I had ever seen. But it was cool, wild life in one dirction and Lake Tahoe the other direction, really great site.

Btw, Bijou is an awesome course, even though some places we were throwing crotch deep in the snow.

I have a few stories from my home course, since its 100% wooded, but I will start with this one. This was the worst experience I have ever had on a disc golf course:

I was playing with my brother and two other guys and I had shanked my second throw between the #17 fairway (the hole we were on) and the #10 basket. I put my bag down near my disc, and reach down to get the disc.

All of the sudden, my hand felt like it was on fire, and I looked down and saw something black and yellow on my hand. I first thought I had just gotten bitten by those big spiders, but then I noticed things buzzing around me. I had set my bag down on a yellow jackets nest in the ground.

I hauled ass out of there, but not before I got stung 3 more times. Then, they swarmed my bag, and we couldn't get with in 15ft of it. My brother found a very long tree branch, probably 20ft long, and hooked my bag and drug it away from the nest. We then dumped everything out and started to beat the yellow jackets that were still inside.

We finished up at 18, and sat down and talked about what just happened. They wanted to play another round, so I made 9 more holes, and I just didn't feel good after that, so I went home and recovered. I hope I never go through anything like that again.

Sat my bag down in a yellow jackets nest before, only got hit once but still sucked :(

We have some kind of huge hornet that burrows in the ground here, alot of times in tree cavities. If I ever get into one of their nest I might have to rethink this sport, those things are vicious

Seeing poisonous snakes, Spiders and insects in some of these places makes me think I am only going to play further north where that crap doesnt live.

Yeah, my brother lives down in Texas and he said he doesnt even pay attention to those huge spiders. I would probably be fine but thinking about it would bother me.

Just part of the "natural obstacles" here in the south:eek:

I have a hard enough time watching out for the fire ants in the south, those guys suck!

Big Eau Pleine County Park in Mosinee feels like a petting zoo for deer. You can't get them to move out of the way. I've had to "shoo" them of a box before after waiting a minute or two about five feet away.

I had the pleasure of living in Yellowstone National Park for 2 years and there are about 6 courses in the park although only one is identified on DGCR.
My home course was at the Old Faithful location and my friends and I got to see some of the most amazing things on the course. Most common were herds of Elk or Bison but we also got to see Golden and Bald eagles eating an Elk carcass, a grizzly feeding on a bison (right on hole 10's tee), coyotes, and black bears.
It is a pretty awesome course but dangerous, geyers and hot springs right near some of the pins. I have third degree burns on my foot where I broke through thin ground to scadling hot water while putting out on hole 5.
That is why nobody has ever listed it on here because you need to play the course with someone experienced to show you what is safe and what is dangerous.

are you sure these are "6" permanent courses with permanent baskets? pretty hard to believe that someone would design a course and put a basket or tee anywhere near geyzers or hot springs...let alone be allowed to do it.

Tacitus and I and two others were playing Windwood Church today. I shanked my shot on number 6 and it landed near the creek. I went to look for my disc and notice a 3ft Water Moccasin going back and forth in the water. He swam away, and I ran over and got my disc before he came back. Then , on hole #8 we ran into a Ribbon Snake.

I will have to wait till I get home from work to see this picture, as it appears to be blocked at my job, just shows a white box with a red X.

Isn't that a banana spider? Those are supposed to be pretty wicked.

Funny how every snake in the water is a Moccassin. It (Water Snakes) is the most wrongfully persecuted snake in the world.

Years ago we had a Yellowbelly Water Snake that had lived on Z-B #18 for many years. Of course one day some kids killed it. :(