• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critters on the course you ran into...

When I was playing at Crown College two days ago, I saw one of the biggest Alligator Snapping Turtles that I have ever seen. He must have been sunning on the island between the bridges for hole 2. We both spooked each other, but he went charging into the pond whereas I just stood there hahahaha. He had to be in the upper 70 pound range. I noticed lots of bullheads live in the pond too when I was on the bridge, so that turtle will probably get bigger hahahaha.

Last edited:
I played a round at Reef DGC in St. Croix (U.S. Virgin Islands). In two hours of play, I saw two deer, two iguanas, a weasel, and a pelican. I haven't read through this entire thread, but I dare to wager that it was one of the top critter-sighting rounds of disc golf ever!

Yesterday, at Wellspring, we were searching for a lost disc in some trees and bushes and one of my playing partners screamed and started running. As he had started to enter the little copse of trees, he saw a huge snake right at face height. Turned out to be a larger than average garter snake, very sluggish from having just raided a bird's nest a couple of feet above him in the tree. Pretty scary, then pretty funny, then pretty cool. We grabbed the disc and left Mr. Snake alone to enjoy his post-prandial rest.

So far this season

1 snake, tiny gardener
1 woopecker
4 snapping turtles, I rolled up on 2 of them near a water filled ditch looking like they were gonna mate
2 foxes, 1 full grown and one baby to adolescent both just cute at as hell

Biggest snapper I ran into, maybe 1.25-1.5 feet long. I'm surprised cuz I've swam, partied, chilled in that area they have the course at now for decades and only started seeing them this last 2 months.

Last edited:
I played a round at Reef DGC in St. Croix (U.S. Virgin Islands). In two hours of play, I saw two deer, two iguanas, a weasel, and a pelican. I haven't read through this entire thread, but I dare to wager that it was one of the top critter-sighting rounds of disc golf ever!

Or, at the very least, one of the most eclectic.

Biggest snapper I ran into, maybe 1.25-1.5 feet long. I'm surprised cuz I've swam, partied, chilled in that area they have the course at now for decades and only started seeing them this last 2 months.

There's a good chance you swam, partied, and chilled with them many times, and didn't know it.

I was playing at East Carolina University recently. I decided to wade into the drainage ditch behind hole #16 where I had lost a couple discs over the past month to see if I could find them. I instead found a copperhead swimming in the water and decided maybe I didn't really need to find those discs after all.

Those are some big snakes! Glad we don't have those around here. Wouldn't want my dog to go sticking her nose near snakes.

Craziest thing I ever saw was tarantulas on a course in Moraga CA. I have no pics but they were very big and very creepy.

Since some of y'all are posting pairs of snakes, here's one. But it's no peep show. I did post this in the Snakes thread, but will post it here also for your enjoyment.

I heard rustling in the leaves near the 14th basket at Alexander Park in Lawrenceville, Ga. Saw what looked like Mr. Black and Yellow snake having a mouse or bird for lunch. It was partially obscured, so I took a pic and went about my disc golfing way.

When I got home, I looked more closely, and the tail at left is not black and yellow, but brown and gray! So Mr. Black and Yellow Snake is having Mr. Brown and Gray Snake for lunch. Literally.

Attachments

• DiscGolfSnakes.jpg
    DiscGolfSnakes.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 400
Mr. Black & Yellow is a kingsnake. Not sure what he's eating here, but they kill and eat venomous snakes. If you can't bring yourself to love and admire all snakes, you should at least grant some affection for this one.

At am World doubles this past weekend, cardmates found this in the grass right by a trail after i had passed it myself pushing our cart. Turned around and watched Steve Irwin here wrangle it and get a hold of it. We took a few pictures, then relocated it too a more secluded spot away from other golfers.
90MNNmGl.jpg

qn9qNsyl.jpg

Ended up seeing many more swimming in on Lakeside at Selah. A few of those were moccasins, whom i didn't wish to mess with even if i could.

There's a good chance you swam, partied, and chilled with them many times, and didn't know it.

Ya most likely cuz I've seen them in other woods in my area, just never that specific spot and I spent a lot of my youth that specific spot. Just surprised I never seen one till this year lol.

Last edited:
Ya most likely cuz I've seen them in other woods in my area, just never that specific spot and I spent a lot of my youth that specific spot. Just surprised I never seen one till this year lol.

We've got a pond I swim in. I never saw any snapping turtles until 2 or 3 years ago, and now we see them once a year, when the fever hits them. But my research, and talking to people more knowledgeable than myself, says that they're (1) secretive, mostly hiding out on the bottom of the water, (2) common, probably in all the waters I've been swimming in all my life, and (3) timid in the water, preferring escape over confrontation. Apparently, it's mainly when they're on land that they're dangerous.

All of which is of limited comfort, when I'm swimming, feeling the bottom with bare feet for hard round objects, and hoping they're discs.

Yesterday we saw a baby deer on the course! We were looking for a disc in some tall grass and pup flushed a lil baby deer out! I hope she found her mommy alright afterwards.

Latest posts