• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critters on the course you ran into...

Not all that much braver. Like riding a rollercoaster or flying in an airplane (for those with a fear of flying) or swimming at the beach, I had to convince myself that I've probably been swimming with those critters all my life, and they weren't going to bother me. If I'd seen one while swimming, I'm not sure I would have stayed in.

Last year we had a blue-green algae bloom. That kept me out of the pond almost all year.

Yea, nothing to be scared of. I love me some snakes and my favorite wrangling technique is to catch them while swimming underwater in the clear streams I float in the spring/summer. My wife is not a fan, but I love swimming after them and waiting for them to go under. I swim after them underwater and usually grab them about mid way up the body and come crashing through the water's surface with my arm up and the snake wiggling about. I then let it swim away after my wife screams and onlookers wonder what is wrong with me. I don't typically disturb snakes unless it's a local species that has yet to meet my caught list, then I will catch it so I can take a look at all it's feature's/patterns close up. But swimming after them underwater and catching them is too much fun to pass up.

This weekend at Granbury DGC in Granbury Tx I spotted this little foxy fella poking his head up out of a big tree. There arent many Fox out and about around here so I was very happily surprised.

Attachments

• 20170513_123920.jpg
    20170513_123920.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 121
  • 20170513_123544.jpg
    20170513_123544.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 96
Yea, nothing to be scared of. I love me some snakes and my favorite wrangling technique is to catch them while swimming underwater in the clear streams I float in the spring/summer. My wife is not a fan, but I love swimming after them and waiting for them to go under. I swim after them underwater and usually grab them about mid way up the body and come crashing through the water's surface with my arm up and the snake wiggling about. I then let it swim away after my wife screams and onlookers wonder what is wrong with me. I don't typically disturb snakes unless it's a local species that has yet to meet my caught list, then I will catch it so I can take a look at all it's feature's/patterns close up. But swimming after them underwater and catching them is too much fun to pass up.

They're not the only ones wondering that. :|

What the actual **** did i just read?

Lazerface, you should come visit, play some disc golf, and do your Steve Irwin imitation here. Lord knows, we've got the snakes for it. Bonus points if you come up with one of the snapping turtles.

Seriously, I wish I were a little more comfortable with the snakes---enough to catch and handle them. As it is, I prefer to admire them from a reasonable distance.

This weekend at Granbury DGC in Granbury Tx I spotted this little foxy fella poking his head up out of a big tree. There arent many Fox out and about around here so I was very happily surprised.
Love that 1st pic

19787466_1697870843565178_6412149431857269649_o.jpg

Alexander Clarke Park in Logan, Australia

From my visit to Hiller Park in Biloxi. I arrived at sunrise and had the good fortune to see tons of wildlife on the course. That rooster and I almost had a donnybrook on our hands/wings. Lucky for him, I can run like the Welsh.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 56
Other than the usual squirrels/chipmunks/birds there's a course in Boulder, CO that has prairie dogs running all over the place. Also, once in Mobile, AL I had a gigantic black vulture swoop low under the canopy near hole 3 and perch on a low branch. That thing was completely quiet while flying and a sight to behold.

We have oodles and oodles of these at Lake Township Park:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphecius_speciosus

They are terrifyingly HUGE but are quite docile compared to other bees and wasps. I've seen hundreds of these on the middle of several fairways and you can walk right amongst them without bother so long as you're not stepping directly on them or their little borrows.

Walked to within 50' of a red-tailed hawk on the ground today, which startled us both. I froze and we stared each other down for a minute or two, before he flew off.

Crazy as it seems, we found a hedgehog on the course 2 weeks ago. Then the next week we found another one! Unreal! They are considered an exotic animal which you need a special permit to even own.

Attachments

• IMG_1682.jpg
    IMG_1682.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1683.jpg
    IMG_1683.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 73
We have a wedged tail eagle on site here...hard to get photos of them but we found the nest next to a proposed expansion hole...an amazing par 5 through a canyon into a forest, around a jungle gym looking tree into an open area...one day

Latest posts