• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critters on the course you ran into...

Focus fail, due to time/daylight contraints....

Attachments

• 2012-10-10 18.17.22.jpg
    2012-10-10 18.17.22.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 226
buddy and i were playing a local round of glow about 2 weeks ago and he landed this great forehand 10 feet from the pin. you hear some rustling and through the light two coyotes take off running from right near his disc. that was only half of it as they took off running right at the next basket. luckily we did not encounter them again.

other than that most recent, i have seen skunks, turtles, a beaver, stung by a wasp, freakishly big hawks/falcons, a possum or two, armadillos, and lots of snakes. and that is just this year. fun times.

White squirrel when we were at Belmont DGC in Dayton. We also ran into a gnome with no pants at the local krogers but that is a whole other story!!:popcorn:
white.jpg

Kind of tough to see, but there is an immature hawk chowing down on squirrel in the center of the pictures. This was yesterday at Joseph Davis SP (aka JD or the Dizzle) The hawk was about 20 feet from the basket on #24.

63790_4193573632425_2092815884_n.jpg

28740_4193570472346_178468021_n.jpg

I could see it from the teebox, from 300 feet away I couldn't tell what kind of bird it was. Goose? Turkey? Buzzard? All 3 are very common at JD. My buddies said it looked like a goose. Watching its actions I wasn't sold. We all took our drives. As we got closer we realized it was a hawk! It seemed unconcerned about us and continued to eat. We walked within 15 feet of it. Every once in awhile it'd turn to look at us. We watched in awe for awhile and eventually putted out. The first cha-ching of the basket slightly ruffled the hawk's feathers but other than that it just kept eating.

At the teebox for #26 one of my partners almost got a black ace on #24 hitting the top of the basket. Our other 2 drives also went wide left right in the direction of the hawk. None of our activity bothered it.

Its feathers were a nondescript, mottled pattern of browns, blacks, greys, and whites. It was certainly an immature hawk. First season. As soon as I got home I looked it up in my Peterson's and still couldn't tell the species. Pretty cool nonetheless.

Very cool, Simpletwisty! :cool: :thmbup:

I saw several deer two weekends ago playing at Arcadia Lake DGC in Edmond, OK. One of the reasons I love this sport is it gets me out into nature to see these kinds of things.

Last edited:
White squirrel when we were at Belmont DGC in Dayton. We also ran into a gnome with no pants at the local krogers but that is a whole other story!!:popcorn:
white.jpg

Very cool! I stayed in Pensacola Fla. one winter,at the house we stayed at there was a pair of white squirrels,never spotted any since. I too have pics somewhere,I'll have to look for them.

A few months ago a guy I was playing a round at Buffalo Ridge in Phoenix with said he felt something crawling on his back after we finished our round.. He shakes out his shirt and out falls a "spider scorpion." Didn't take a picture (he stepped on it as soon as it hit the ground so wasn't much room for a picture) but this is what it looked like
Solifugae%20%20Richard%20L%20Coviello%20UC%20Davis%20IPM.jpg
. Thing was friggin' gnarly, he's lucky it didn't bite!

thats a sun spider. those things are crazy lookin

Jim Barnett Park in Winchester, VA. I totally forgot about these pics until I saw the white squirrel pic again. How about an almost completely black squirrel? These were taken in August or September of 2010.

picture.php

picture.php

Not to be a d!ck or anything, but are black squirrels rare?

First of all, the thread isn't titled "Rare" Critters on the course you ran into. :p I just thought that it was cool so I posted it.

But to answer your question... Yes. Around here, (WV near Cumberland, MD) they are. We have dozens of grey squirrels around my house. We used to have red squirrels, too. I'm 45, and have lived in the woods my entire life, but I don't remember ever seeing a black squirrel until I saw this one in Winchester, VA.

So my friend and I are playing some new courses today in our quest to conquer Wisconsin. It got late but we wanted to finish to mark off the course. Were playing the last hole in complete darkness, I tee off in the middle of the fairway and my buddy goes to shoot. Right as he releases his disc, three whitetail deer jump up 10 feet in front of us. Crazy! My friend whipped out his phone and turned the flashlight on so we got a good look at 3 does.

Latest posts