• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critters on the course you ran into...

Caption this:

picture.php

"I'll get you, my pretty! And your little disc, too!"

I don't have any pictures to prove it, but we saw a mom and a few of her baby armadillos at Selah Ranch Creekside in May. They ran across the fairway (safely) 30 feet in front of our golf cart. I want to say it was somewhere on the front 9, but it's been long enough that I don't recall.

Found this on the course yesterday. Never see a spider with these markings before.

hRM82O8.png

I don't have any pictures to prove it, but we saw a mom and a few of her baby armadillos at Selah Ranch Creekside in May. They ran across the fairway (safely) 30 feet in front of our golf cart. I want to say it was somewhere on the front 9, but it's been long enough that I don't recall.

... and I saw a 32 foot Reticulated Python at Kensington Black Locust last January. :p

POIDH! ;)

I saw an eastern ribbon snake on the University of South Alabama course the other day.

Was it really big? I've seen lots of these big yellow and black spiders and have heard them referred to as "garden spiders".

That's what I generally hear them referred to here as well. My first encounter with one was in the cab of a tractor, and it built its web about half an inch away from the armrest of the seat, so they creep the hell out of me.

After Hurricane Irma, the Hillsborough River flooded a little making USF Riverfront course kind of swampy. It also encouraged this gator to venture out. I'm not an expert on measuring gators but I imagine maybe 8 feet long. The Tees there are a little short here.

Attachments

• USF Riverfront Gator.jpg
    USF Riverfront Gator.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 124
After Hurricane Irma, the Hillsborough River flooded a little making USF Riverfront course kind of swampy. It also encouraged this gator to venture out. I'm not an expert on measuring gators but I imagine maybe 8 feet long. The Tees there are a little short here.

That photo should be captioned, "Go ahead, throw more than 1 tee shot"

Will retrieve discs for food.

We put in baskets last May. Since then the indigenous coyotes and humans have moved elsewhere. :)

Still get the occasional bald eagle hunting and the ants are thriving. :thmbup:

Couple weeks ago, Hudson Mills MetroPark in Dexter, Michigan. Monster course #17. Yep, that's a rattlesnake. First time I ever saw one IRL. No fear of humans, just sat on the tee-pad sunning with zero f's given, and got snappy and aggressive when we came near.

My buddy used a disc gator to get her off the pad, gently I might add, no need to hurt the snake, I'd imagine she's eating her share of tick infested rodents out on that course and doing far more good than harm. Top is up close, the bottom pic you can see her near the top of the pad.

254zp8g.jpg

2430llf.jpg

Couple weeks ago, Hudson Mills MetroPark in Dexter, Michigan. Monster course #17. Yep, that's a rattlesnake. First time I ever saw one IRL. No fear of humans, just sat on the tee-pad sunning with zero f's given, and got snappy and aggressive when we came near.

My buddy used a disc gator to get her off the pad, gently I might add, no need to hurt the snake, I'd imagine she's eating her share of tick infested rodents out on that course and doing far more good than harm. Top is up close, the bottom pic you can see her near the top of the pad.

I was there a few years ago and I remember seeing a sign warning about the rattlers. I thought maybe someone may have mis-identified the critter...apparently not.

254zp8g.jpg

2430llf.jpg

She is a beauty. I have seen about a dozen out there, over the years. More Massasauga than I have seen anywhere. They are supposedly far more common further West, but seem to love HM.

Walking off the course, I saw a fellow disc golfer walking on to the course. I raised my hand to acknowledge the guy, and then heard something I didn't immediately recognize.

It was the sound of a swarm of bees. And they were coming straight at me. There was no place to run, as I was in a wide open field. No exaggeration, the swarm was at least twenty feet across, and ten feet high.

From my recollection, the wind changed direction just in time to divert them from going right through me. Thank God.

I froze. Hand still in the air after they blew by. Mouth wide open, like a still photo of someone being sworn in on a witness stand. (Or should I say 'bee-ing' sworn in?). I dunno.

Very mesmerizing and thankfully, a cool experience.

Walking off the course, I saw a fellow disc golfer walking on to the course. I raised my hand to acknowledge the guy, and then heard something I didn't immediately recognize.

It was the sound of a swarm of bees. And they were coming straight at me. There was no place to run, as I was in a wide open field. No exaggeration, the swarm was at least twenty feet across, and ten feet high.

From my recollection, the wind changed direction just in time to divert them from going right through me. Thank God.

I froze. Hand still in the air after they blew by. Mouth wide open, like a still photo of someone being sworn in on a witness stand. (Or should I say 'bee-ing' sworn in?). I dunno.

Very mesmerizing and thankfully, a cool experience.

Swarming bees are actually docile and no danger. They are simply moving or splitting their colony. When there is no hive they have nothing to protect. That's still an awesome sight to see.

I saw a baby copperhead last week. It was perhaps 5 inches long with a chartreuse tip to its tail. I thought about skinning it for a bookmark but my morality to over and I let it be.

Latest posts