• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

December 11th to 14th Dayton to Jacksonville to Tampa

lion

I'm feeling frisky.
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
So I have a trip planned for december in Florida. Land on the morning of the 11th and fly out the evening of the 14th. Please let me know the must play courses in the areas listed below plus must hit food, beer, sites, or anything pertinent.

December 11th

Dayton Beach area

December 12th

Jacksonville area

December 13th

Gainesville to Dunedin area

December 14th

Tampa Bay Area

would like to get in 12-20 courses if possible. Trip is mostly relating to disc golf. Ideas?

You're only getting one day in Tampa? Play Cliff Stephens in Clearwater, then go play Picnic Island in Tampa. Cypress is also a good selection, and it's right next to the airport.

Jonesville and Northside are the two best Gainesville has to offer.

New World in Jacksonville.

Tuscawilla in Daytona

I have personally played some of the courses in the Tampa area. Others are just what I have heard. Those places are at least 4 good hours from Ft Lauderdale.

So I have a trip planned for december in Florida. Land on the morning of the 11th and fly out the evening of the 14th. Please let me know the must play courses in the areas listed below plus must hit food, beer, sites, or anything pertinent.

would like to get in 12-20 courses if possible. Trip is mostly relating to disc golf. Ideas?

It was very easy to play a lot of courses in one day around Daytona and New Smyrna Beach. The courses are all close together and it is very flat so it doesn't require a lot of effort to "play them all." My favorite might have Tuscawilla because of the on site zip lines.

I really enjoyed the two courses I played in Ocala! They are also flat, close together and easy navigating.

It was very easy to play a lot of courses in one day around Daytona and New Smyrna Beach. The courses are all close together and it is very flat so it doesn't require a lot of effort to "play them all." My favorite might have Tuscawilla because of the on site zip lines.

I really enjoyed the two courses I played in Ocala! They are also flat, close together and easy navigating.

Second the Ocala recommendation although Ocala Greenway is "less flat" than most of the Florida courses.

I also enjoyed the two River City Nature courses in Debary. But that might not be on your route. Two courses from one parking lot is always a plus.

For reference: La Mirada has more elevation changes than any course I played in Florida. :cool:

Ocala Greenway and Floral Park both have at least 1 hill. :)

The Canyon (Da Canyon?) has elevation similar to Hawk Hollow but is seldom playable. My former inlaws lived about 5 minutes from it- only course I have played in Florida that I would specifically travel to play.

Good advice so far. New World is a great facility and Maggie is also a good choice for Jacksonville.

Jonesville and Northside are indeed the two best Gainesville has to offer. I prefer Jonesville, though both can be knocked out on the same day.

Tuscawilla is probably the most popular course in the Daytona area but I would also recommend Holland Park paired with S. Glenco.

For the Tampa area Cliff Stephens and N. E. Coachman make for a good combo as they are decent (although old school and seem to be in the middle of some needed upgrading) courses and very close to each other. Picnic Island is OK but best played on a weekday morning. Taylor is also an option and there are many others in the greater Tampa area worth a toss.

Ocala does have two nice courses but might be out of your range.

Lake County is the new hotspot in Florida and is quickly becoming a destination for DG. It features two courses on the Florida top 25 list: The Green Gauntlet at #2 and Lake Hiawatha Preserve at #7 and also has the 6th highest rated 9 hole course in the country (Mt Dora). I highly recommend these courses!

Most of these courses I have played as recently as last Sunday to a month or two ago and most in the last year. The Debary courses are also worth mentioning and there is a full-service disc golf store across the street from the park.

Have a safe and enjoyable trip and trust that the disc golfing in Florida has been getting a lot better lately!

If you want to see hills in Florida play The Green Gauntlet and Nature Park in Lake County NW of Orlando or the quirky winery course Daggum Dingo in the middle of nowhere between Ocala and Tampa. There are some other courses like Ocala Greenway that have some el changes on them or have man-made hills like the one at Estero.

Ocala Greenway and Floral Park both have at least 1 hill. :)

The Canyon (Da Canyon?) has elevation similar to Hawk Hollow but is seldom playable. My former inlaws lived about 5 minutes from it- only course I have played in Florida that I would specifically travel to play.

Gran Canyon. It's a private course only open to the public once a year for a very popular tournament and public play for a short time right before the tournament. It's listed as a temp course on DGCR but if it were open all year as a pay to play it would prob shoot to the #1 Florida and maybe even make a run at the DGCR top 25

things are changing. Might need to skip dayton beach, might play this schedule backwards do to my ride not being available day 1

What happened:

Hit it hard for a short 3.46 day trip out in Florida. My Xmas gift to myself. Played 16 courses, 15 new courses. Hit 3 breweries, one sandwich spot and a Thai restaurant. The rest is a blur, favorite course of the trip was Moonlight Meadows followed by Floral Park. Little john had the most metal hits and chain outs of the trip.

Picnic Island DGC
1411 - Showmen's Disc Golf Course
1412 - Oldsmar DGC
1413 - Ocala Greenway
1414 - Sawmill DGC
1415 - Northside Park
1416 - Barr System s DGC
1417 - Jonesville Park
1418 - Whispering Pines White Course
1419 - Floral Park
1420 - Daggum Dingo DGC
1421 - Moonlight Meadows