• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Definitive shoe thread

I appear to be dragging toe less often now, my carbon fibre reinforced Bites have not required repair recently (the CF is fine but I had already damaged the sole before modifying so they still seperate occassionally).

Any suggestions for some good sandals. More specifically with toe protection. Sort of want some five fingers, but still not sure if I'm going to get some.

I wear DCs and I didnt even know shoe wear was a problem till this thread...
(Yes I play on concrete tees and yes I have played a good number of holes)

Any suggestions for some good sandals. More specifically with toe protection. Sort of want some five fingers, but still not sure if I'm going to get some.
I have some Five Fingers (KSO's) for tooling around. I can't see how they would last very long on cement tee's, but I also hear they've made a new model with thicker soles.

I have some Five Fingers (KSO's) for tooling around. I can't see how they would last very long on cement tee's, but I also hear they've made a new model with thicker soles.

So far mine show very little signs of wear. And thats coming from a 250lb clydesdale and our cement tees are pretty 'textured.' I think the soles on the KomodoSports would last a long time on any surface.

I have a wide foot (2e), but a narrow heel.

Caroll+BB+Feet.jpg

Merell's with Vibram soles. They have gotten pretty worn over the years because I wear them for everything, but they are great off any style tee. I love a low-top (below the ankle) hiking show because it gives me added flexibility. The downside is there is higher risk of rolling your ankle, but I haven't had that problem yet.

I played the local 9 hole ball/disc course last Sunday. Since it was wet and the only pair of shoes I have that are waterproof are my golf shoes, that's what I wore. They work nice on slippery wet grass tees and are great for walking up and down wet slopes. That's probably the only time I'd wear them playing disc though. On dry days I usually wear Vans, Simples or my Adidas Response X trail shoes.

Looking for a summer time, very breathable durable comfortable shoe. I have the Milo 2's. I'm not thrilled about them, waterproof yes, good durability? Not really.

At the moment I don't need waterproof. These NB's with Vibram sole look cool, but the soles seem super thin and I want comfort and support to the maximum.
http://www.newbalance.com/products/MT10/

These look sweet, just wonder how tough the sole is.
http://www.newbalance.com/products/MT101/
My friend has some Ecco trail shoes that are holding up very very well. They are supposed to be 'elite' and super comfy.
Suggestions?

Last edited:
They're Vibram, so they should hold up pretty well. And I don't think NB would put anything out that wouldn't. I will say, the only issue with Vibram soles is they will wear down quickly if you play a lot of concrete tees. They don't handle the sliding/spinning on concrete well, but they seem to handle anything else superbly. I wouldn't worry about them being thin. Mine were very thin, and lasted several years with moderate play on concrete tees in addition to wearing them as my go-to shoe. Not to mention, those NB's look pretty nice. I might get myself a pair now that I have seen them. I need some new treads.

My gf plays in soccer shoes all the time, indoor soccer shoes (no cleats) for courses with concrete tees, and sometimes the cleated soccer shoes for muddy/icy days, it really seems to work well when the ground is slippery.

I'm seriously thinking about trying out some indoor soccer shoes when my Merrell Moab Ventilators give out (they are not long for this world). Anybody else want to chime in?

I have a pair of Columbia hikers that I have been wearing for 2 years. I used to drag my toe like you do. Have stopped doing that but was going to buy a pitchers toe to attach to my shoe. They sell them on ebay for 5 bucks. It's metal and attaches to your shoe through an eyelet and is shoe gooed to the front of the shoe. You could also just epoxy a small piece of bike tire to the front of your shoe as a replacement for the worn area. Better than buying new shoes all the time. Hope this gives you some ideas

I'm seriously thinking about trying out some indoor soccer shoes when my Merrell Moab Ventilators give out (they are not long for this world). Anybody else want to chime in?

Not sure what "they are not long for this world" meant, but I've had my Gore-tex MOAB's for around 3 years now I think. Other than the insoles wearing out they're still fine, and until this past winter it's the only shoe I've worn year-round. Definitely worth the extra buck paid for them, especially compared to the 2 pairs of newbalance shoes I had before them(probably $40 a pop) which lasted maybe a year each. I probably could have kept them going for a bit longer, but one of them didn't have a chance since some plastic piece in the heal was digging right into my heal.

Just got some keen Detroit mids before winter and they're nice and spacious, but definitely wouldn't be a summer shoe. Also never heard of indoor soccer shoes, I always just used whatever shoes I had at the time for that...when I still played. Reminds me I hated that rule, I think it was called the 3 line rule or something, where you couldn't kick the ball past some lines that were probably 2/3rds of the field. It would be interesting to get some friends together one day and play some indoor soccer, it has to have been since middle school since I've played.

Last edited:
Recently (4 months ago) got a pair of La Sportiva Wildcats and am thoroughly impressed. Comfortable like Salomons, but are holding up much better. Still look brand new. Maybe I'm just staying on the fairways more this year...

Adidas tr5's baby! I've had every run of them and love the durability, breath ability, and second to none traction. Love all the foot support

Latest posts