• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] deflashing

nash2000

Bogey Member
Ok, I've been reading up a lot today on seasoning/breaking in a disc and I kept coming across the term "deflashing". I wasn't familiar with the term so I research it. After reading many articles, some from here I found out that it's the excess plastic left on the disc from birth. I also read that innove is bad in this way whereas discraft isn't. After reading up a bit, the only things that stands out on my 2 new star discs are the belly buttons and the sharp little edge the lip has as it rolls down near the inside. Is this the flashing most speak of? Stories I read talk about "removing a half inch of material, and using grinders".

A half inch of plastic??

The only innova discs that I notice with much flashing is some pro and most champs. Stars seems good when new, in my experience. Take it to a parking lot and toss a couple low drives off the blacktop. Flashing removed. Or high grit sand paper.

High speed drivers with flashing will be more overstable than the numbers. Unusable for me. I use an exacto knife.

While not totally absent of flashing, Prodigy has done a much better job of removing their discs flashing than when they first started out. Some of their early runs where ridiculous. I like to 'carpet burn' off any flashing, but will use the pavement if need be.

MVP and Axiom discs don't have flashing anywhere that would be problematic. Just one of those things they've got figured out.

It's all new to me, maybe because my discs have never had much of any. I forget the make but yea, some dude said he removed a half in with an xacto knife. I think I'll leave the belly button alone but I think I'll run it around the carpet or maybe the driveway.

It's all new to me, maybe because my discs have never had much of any. I forget the make but yea, some dude said he removed a half in with an xacto knife. I think I'll leave the belly button alone but I think I'll run it around the carpet or maybe the driveway.

The same dude probably tells girls he's got 12" when he's barely got 6.

A half-inch of flashing is a lot. Throw a few flat skip shots against your driveway, and it'll be gone.

I would have sent the disc back if it really had half an inch. given the dimensions of the rest of the disc, half inch is massive. I'd bet it was 1mm lol

One of its many benefits.

Out of curiosity, where is the overmold on the Atlas and Nova? I don't have any on hand to check out.

Where MVP has core that extends to the inner part of the rim, Innova's overmolds comprise the entire rim. The way I heard it explained, the flightplate has an extra bit of thickness around the outside to help give it some firmness, but it doesn't really extend down into the rim.

I'll admit the MVP I've thrown will stay straighter longer, presumably because of the extra mass in the overmold, and I struggled with them in the woods. They just don't fade when I expect them to. It kind of shocks me that people can mix their bags with MVP because of that. I can definitely see its benefits for power players. As a finesse player, I've struggled with hitting lines. Perhaps I just need more time to adjust to them. I do like how flat the molds I've thrown of theirs are though. Seems to be very consistent in that regard.

Last edited:

I use carpet for cleaning up flashing too, works pretty good.

I've had to remove over a 1/4" of flashing before, but the disc wasn't deflashed at the factory.

I use carpet for cleaning up flashing too, works pretty good.

I've had to remove over a 1/4" of flashing before, but the disc wasn't deflashed at the factory.

Did this disc come direct from the factory,or did it actually make it in the someones inventory like that?

On old Ions there was usually flashing on the "bead." I wonder if they changed how they mold them or if they just got better at deflashing.

On all of their current molds there is very small flashing on the edge of the wing, which is a great spot for it to be because it doesn't affect a throw like typical flashing on the bottom. Like this:

AYgBXzs.jpg

The bead is perfectly smooth. I'm not sure what they changed but I do have an old 2nd run Ion with some flashing on the bead. It's the only MVP disc I've owned that had that, and I never threw it much for that reason.

...I struggled with them in the woods. They just don't fade when I expect them to.

I think part of that may come down to people that throw with a "Let the disc do the work for me" mentality. I didn't play with you enough to see if that's how you play, but either way MVP's overmold seems to help the discs hold the angle of release, regardless of what that angle is. So someone who throws with a wide variety of hyzer angles will probably adjust easier than someone who throws everything flat for the most part.

I think part of that may come down to people that throw with a "Let the disc do the work for me" mentality. I didn't play with you enough to see if that's how you play, but either way MVP's overmold seems to help the discs hold the angle of release, regardless of what that angle is. So someone who throws with a wide variety of hyzer angles will probably adjust easier than someone who throws everything flat for the most part.

Despite carrying what feels like 100 discs right now (to keep things fun for me), I definitely would rather work release angles. I will admit I released the MVP flat in the woods though so I could get a feel for its usefulness. Even at low power, I really couldn't get a feel for the fade. When I find something that suits my game, it'll be in the bag. I am liking the Inertia even though I throw the Patriot a lot more. It's been the most predictable mold of theirs I've thrown even though it's too fast for my current meager arm speed (it's getting better).

Eh I used to remove all flashing, but nowadays I very rarely do. I did find that if the flashing protrudes quite far from the bottom edge of the disc then removing it is usually not a great idea unless you want it to fly significantly less overstable.

The only time I mess with flashing is when it has a sharp feel on my throw. A light sanding with a nail file does wonders. I've literally had flashing rip open my fingers.