• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Denver/Boulder "must play" courses and leagues

spinachd

Eagle Member
I'll be in Denver and Boulder this week for work, and will be back frequently.

What are the must play courses?

Are there any weekday night leagues that a non-local can participate in?

Thank you in advance for any replies.

First off, welcome to Colorado and I hope you enjoy your time here!
In my opinion, the actual Denver/Boulder disc golf scene is a little disappointing, the best stuff is up in the mountains!
As far as Denver goes, Badlands is my favorite course. I would print a map or download UDisc if you have a smartphone to ensure you find your way around.
Bird's Nest is OK. Expo Park in Aurora is a pretty good course, but there is a lot of standing water in a couple "ponds" on the course which can make for some interesting smells.
I've only played one course in Boulder and it wasn't worth the drive.

If you have the time and you really want to see an excellent mountain course, make the 45 minute drive to Conifer and play Beaver Ranch! That course is excellent!!!

If you have the time for any other mountain courses, let me know and I'll get you more recommendations.

Thank you. I usually have plenty of time so anything that is worth the drive I will go.

I may have to go to Fort Collins as well

Personally I would head Southwest if I were you, seem to have more of the nicer courses in Colorado. I agree 100% with Wayne on Beaver Ranch in Conifer, just an amazing Disc Golf experience from start to finish. It is one of the Top 20 or so courses in the USA and worthy of that rank. A disc shop, players lounge and putting challenge right at the base of the mountain, then the 23 hole course plays up it. Currently the best course I have ever played out of the 56 courses on my resume.

Another fun mountain course I enjoyed was Jellystone, small disc shop/general store and they even rent out goats to caddy for you. Yeah, Goats! Nice elevation changes, great scenery and multiple pin placements. Fairly easy to navigate as well with decent pads. Not as beautiful as Beaver Ranch but a pretty fun mountain course regardless.

The city courses are nice but nothing special. Expo, Interlocken, Village Greens, Ken Caryl, Lighthouse, etc... Mostly open park courses with very few obstacles. At least Expo has some ponds/small streams and waling paths to make it more challenging. Oh man do I miss Johnny Roberts (RIP/redesign).

Have fun and remember to pack your Understable discs as that altitude messes with stability.

I was just in Fort Collins last weekend to play! Edora Park is a pretty cool course. Again though, I would download UDisc to help find your way from hole to hole.
I also played the Hughes stadium course...it wasn't great, but it wasn't busy and laid out pretty well...also it's right next to the CSU football stadium, so you can get some good pics.

The mountain courses are amazing. If you go to Fort Collins play Edora avoid Hughes stadium its mostly a large field with lots of grass and some standing water. If you are in the boulder area on Wednesday nights Long Peak Disc Golf has a fun league on those nights starting a 6pm. The two nine hole in Longmont are fun. Also check out the Mile High disc golf website it will give you lots of good info on Denver area disc golf.

Did I just hear that there's a course that will rent goats to caddy for you?!?!? I'm sold!

Did I just hear that there's a course that will rent goats to caddy for you?!?!? I'm sold!

That is what the sign said when we visited last year. Jellystone in Larkspur, Co was the place. :thmbup:

They must also use them to keep the course clean as they turned the Goats loose on hole 4 or 5 when we hit the back 9. Saw a pack of goats munching away on the weeds and cleaning up the tee pad area. Was a sight to see for this Michigander.

What??? Nobody has mentioned Colorado Heights U. yet? Probably the best course in the Denver metro area. I know you have to buy a season pass, but if you maybe send a PM to one of the 3 course guides on the course homepage, they are allowed to take a friend along. Also, I think one night a week they have a (dubs?) tourney (or they did in the past) and if i'm not mistaken they waive the pass requirement. Give that a shot. Otherwise, go to Conifer. It's only about an hour.

Good call Jeff! I've only played CHU once, but it was nice...I need to get oer and get that season pass! They need to do something where you can get that online...for the workin' folks!!!

http://www.mhdgc.org/

Check on the left side of the page for weekly "Tags" matches. You don't have to buy a tag to play. I think they are sold out anyway. Interlocken, Badlands, and Expo have large turnouts. Brighton and Springvale may have a dozen. Springvale does modified skins in which you can participate without a tag. All have ace pools. FYI- it rains/hails/blows almost every afternoon this time of year so be prepared.

What??? Nobody has mentioned Colorado Heights U. yet? Probably the best course in the Denver metro area. I know you have to buy a season pass, but if you maybe send a PM to one of the 3 course guides on the course homepage, they are allowed to take a friend along. Also, I think one night a week they have a (dubs?) tourney (or they did in the past) and if i'm not mistaken they waive the pass requirement. Give that a shot. Otherwise, go to Conifer. It's only about an hour.

Great, now I need to send money to my brother out in Colorado and have him buy a season pass before my next visit. I have heard great things about CHU but he hasn't ponied up the cash for us to play it. :doh:

Thanks Jeff, going to make him take me there on my next week out in Colorado.

http://www.mhdgc.org/

Check on the left side of the page for weekly "Tags" matches. You don't have to buy a tag to play. I think they are sold out anyway. Interlocken, Badlands, and Expo have large turnouts. Brighton and Springvale may have a dozen. Springvale does modified skins in which you can participate without a tag. All have ace pools. FYI- it rains/hails/blows almost every afternoon this time of year so be prepared.

I'll try to show up at expo tonight if I get back from Boulder in time. How much are bag tags? I'm usually happy to buy a tag and support local clubs if there is someone there selling them. Theoretically I could play 3 bag tag rounds this week and I will be back often.

Now that you know where Beaver Ranch is, head further south on 285 and check out Bailey.. Not as polished as Beaver Ranch, but still epic with some par 4s as well.

You should hit the Longmont League next time you're in town. We've had a steady 50 people showing up weekly, with great prizes and a fun crowd!

Latest posts