• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Destination cities for quality AND quantity?

yup, my sister did one based on a 29 mile radius from singluar points that created the best score within, counting only courses that were 3+ and with at least 5 reviews. after it was sent through the fire of DGCR the resulting list was...

1. 975 - Dallas - Fort Worth, TX
2. 926 - Charlotte, NC
3. 812 - Farmington Hills, MI (Ann Arbor, MI)
4. 737 - Minneapolis, MN
5. 693 - Kansas City, MO
6. 690 - Augusta, ME
7. 680 - Denver, CO
8. 647 - Austin, TX
9. 632 - Hubbardston, MA (Worchester, MA)
10. 619 - Tulsa, OK
11. 612 - Allentown, PA
12. 579 - Portland, OR
13. 555 - Orlando Park, IL (Chicago, IL)
14. 552 - Johnson City, TN / Linville, NC
15. 537 - Atlanta, GA
16. 526 - Oxford, PA (Lancaster, PA / Wilmington, DE)
17. 522 - Cincinnati, OH
18. 503 - Hart, MI
19. 494 - Des Moines, IA
20. 485 - Augusta, GA
21. 460 - Highbridge, WI
22. 452 - Houston, TX
23. 431 - Kalamazoo, MI
24. 419 - Lake Tahoe, CA
25. 409 - St. Louis, MO
26. 405 - Louisville, KY
27. 403 - Los Angeles, CA
28. 399 - Memphis, TN
29. 392 - Auburn, CA
30. 388 - Cedar Rapids, IA
30. 388 - Bowling Green, KY
31. 376 - Seattle, WA
32. 371 - Oklahoma City, OK
33. 370 - Raleigh, NC
34. 368 - Davenport, IA
35. 363 - Columbus, OH

I later went and created my own list using courses in a 50 mile radius with raings of 3.5 and up. In this one however the courses were rudimentally weighted by distance from the marker. I think this one more so gives you the best road trip destinations if you're driving around hitting multiple areas while the first one would be more of a singular destination type list.

1. 33.9 - Dallas-Fort Worth, TX (East Arlington)
2. 33.8 - Charlotte, NC (Sedgefield)
3. 31.5 - Augusta, ME (Litchfield)
4. 28.4 - Ann Arbor, MI (Wines)
5. 27.5 - Denver, CO (Kings Valley)
6. 26.6 - Worcester, MA (Rutland)
7. 25.5 - Kansas City, MO (Turner)
8. 23.6 - Minneapolis, MN (West St. Paul)
9. 23.3 - Reading, PA (Lorane)
10. 23.0 - Portland, OR (North Plains)
11. 22.0 - Highbridge, MN (High Bridge)
12. 21.9 - Lake Tahoe, CA (literally inside in the lake)
13. 20.8 - Austin, TX (Downtown)
14. 20.1 - Houston, TX (Bridgestone)
15. 20.0 - Des Moines, IA (Ankeny)
16. 19.9 - Ludington, MI (Bass Lake)
17. 19.8 - Davenport, IA (Downtown)
18. 19.2 - Orlando Park, IL (Joilet)
19. 18.9 - Atlanta, GA (Norcross)
20. 18.4 - Tulsa, OK (Wagon Wheel)
21. 17.2 - Augusta, GA (IDGC)
22. 17.0 - Linville, NC (Newland)
23. 16.1 - St. Louis, MO (Florissant)
24. 15.7 - Raleigh-Durham, NC (Hope Valley)
25. 15.6 - Cincinnati, OH (Lebanon)

There it is! :hfive:

yup, my sister did one based on a 29 mile radius from singluar points that created the best score within, counting only courses that were 3+ and with at least 5 reviews. after it was sent through the fire of DGCR the resulting list was...

1. 975 - Dallas - Fort Worth, TX
2. 926 - Charlotte, NC
3. 812 - Farmington Hills, MI (Ann Arbor, MI)
4. 737 - Minneapolis, MN
5. 693 - Kansas City, MO
6. 690 - Augusta, ME
7. 680 - Denver, CO
8. 647 - Austin, TX
9. 632 - Hubbardston, MA (Worchester, MA)
10. 619 - Tulsa, OK
11. 612 - Allentown, PA
12. 579 - Portland, OR
13. 555 - Orlando Park, IL (Chicago, IL)
14. 552 - Johnson City, TN / Linville, NC
15. 537 - Atlanta, GA
16. 526 - Oxford, PA (Lancaster, PA / Wilmington, DE)
17. 522 - Cincinnati, OH
18. 503 - Hart, MI
19. 494 - Des Moines, IA
20. 485 - Augusta, GA
21. 460 - Highbridge, WI
22. 452 - Houston, TX
23. 431 - Kalamazoo, MI
24. 419 - Lake Tahoe, CA
25. 409 - St. Louis, MO
26. 405 - Louisville, KY
27. 403 - Los Angeles, CA
28. 399 - Memphis, TN
29. 392 - Auburn, CA
30. 388 - Cedar Rapids, IA
30. 388 - Bowling Green, KY
31. 376 - Seattle, WA
32. 371 - Oklahoma City, OK
33. 370 - Raleigh, NC
34. 368 - Davenport, IA
35. 363 - Columbus, OH

I later went and created my own list using courses in a 50 mile radius with raings of 3.5 and up. In this one however the courses were rudimentally weighted by distance from the marker. I think this one more so gives you the best road trip destinations if you're driving around hitting multiple areas while the first one would be more of a singular destination type list.

12. 21.9 - Lake Tahoe, CA (literally inside in the lake)
13. 20.8 - Austin, TX (Downtown)
14. 20.1 - Houston, TX (Bridgestone)
15. 20.0 - Des Moines, IA (Ankeny)
16. 19.9 - Ludington, MI (Bass Lake)
17. 19.8 - Davenport, IA (Downtown)
18. 19.2 - Orlando Park, IL (Joilet)
19. 18.9 - Atlanta, GA (Norcross)
20. 18.4 - Tulsa, OK (Wagon Wheel)
21. 17.2 - Augusta, GA (IDGC)
22. 17.0 - Linville, NC (Newland)
23. 16.1 - St. Louis, MO (Florissant)
24. 15.7 - Raleigh-Durham, NC (Hope Valley)
25. 15.6 - Cincinnati, OH (Lebanon)

That is awesome! Are you in computer analytics? Many businesses could use this detail.

Cool lists New013. The 2nd list looks more useful...I'd rather play a 2.5 course that is inflated to 3.5 than a 2.0 course that is inflated to 3.0. Rating inflation is the only way I can imagine the very disappointing Chicago area courses on this list. Playing 2.0-level courses after dealing with Chicago traffic is no fun. Better to just go to the Chicago museums and golf on another trip elsewhere.

BTW is that Highbridge WI?

I hope no one ever decides to go to Reading PA for any reason whatsoever!
That is the worst town in Pennsylvania and the disc golf is a beginner friendly niner lol

Ha! My city isn't even a village, just a crossroads, but our courses have an average rating of 4.38! You can camp too---I think you have---and we have enough layouts to keep you busy and wear you out. And if you get tired of that, within 2 hours we have 41 courses rated 3.5+.

And you don't have to play in the snow.

My city is the best!!!

It's been a dozen years since I had a frisbee road trip, but if I were to take a day trip to play golf, I'm having a hard time deciding between IDGC and Stoney Hill.

More golf at IDGC. But the drive there is 2:45, compared to 1:45 to the Newberry metro area. And I can apparently add Chester State Park on the way to or from. Hmmmm, tough call.

I really like the Cincinnati and Pittsburgh area's for DG and can't decide which one is better. I usually road trip to one of these locations once a year.

I really like the Cincinnati and Pittsburgh area's for DG and can't decide which one is better. I usually road trip to one of these locations once a year.

Just say you like Ohio River Valley Golf the best! :)

It's been a dozen years since I had a frisbee road trip, but if I were to take a day trip to play golf, I'm having a hard time deciding between IDGC and Stoney Hill.

More golf at IDGC. But the drive there is 2:45, compared to 1:45 to the Newberry metro area. And I can apparently add Chester State Park on the way to or from. Hmmmm, tough call.

Oh, heck, take 5 days and play them all.

My favorites so far in the Midwest:
QuadCities: Davenport, IA/Milan, IL. Great courses within 30 mins of each other. Camden II, Westlake are stand outs
Ludington, MI: Mason county Parks has 2 really fun courses (technically 3) on one property, Leviathan is close. Flip City is 50 min drive and AMAZING!!

Highbridge Hills, WI: If you go in the summer and fall, it's pretty much paradise. Spring can be iffy depending on the weather and course conditions. Also, Sandy Point isn't tooooo far. 90mins away.

Peoria: Great cluster of courses

Madison, WI: Great cluster of courses, Pay to Play but you get your money's worth.

Looking to check out the Twin Cities, Cincinnati and Kentucky eventually. Great Thread idea!

There are a ton of great 4+ star courses near philly/allentown PA, where I live. Iron Hill, Nockamixon, Tyler, Jordan Creek, Sankanac etc.

But as somebody else mentioned, vermont would probably be my destination choice. At least 3 world class courses that I know of, at least 3 world class breweries. And the most beautiful fall scenery you can imagine.

Ha! My city isn't even a village, just a crossroads, but our courses have an average rating of 4.38! You can camp too---I think you have---and we have enough layouts to keep you busy and wear you out. And if you get tired of that, within 2 hours we have 41 courses rated 3.5+.

And you don't have to play in the snow.

My city is the best!!!

I once got to play Stoney Hill in the snow. It was cold and wet. And awesome.

I was going to mention Worcester, MA, and I'm glad there is some data to back it up. Within 30 minutes you have Maple Hill, Pyramids, both Devens courses, Barre Falls, Buffumville, Hyland, and Webster, all 3.5 or better. The city of Worcester is nothing remarkable, but if you're looking for a place to stay with terrific courses nearby, it's pretty great.

Of the ones above that I've played, here are my thoughts:

Charlotte: great for quantity of 3.5-level courses. It wouldn't be a bad place to live for that reason. I wouldn't say there are a lot of true stand-out courses here (other than Renny), but it's worth a visit to bag a lot of really good courses. I didn't think much of the city otherwise. I had a lot of trouble finding any quality beer. But none of the courses disappointed.

Denver: the city itself sucks for disc golf. But up in the foothills an hour away? Paradise. Beaver Ranch, Bucksnort, Bailey, and Phantom Falls are as good as it gets for a vacation, and the scenery is terrific.

Highbridge: the ultimate destination for sure. Best 36 hours of disc golf I've had. I can't wait to get back. The courses aren't overrated because they are together. These courses would be stellar on their own. The fact that they are a couple hundred feet apart is mind blowing. Obviously there is not much else to do up in this area, but who cares? You're going for the disc golf.

Kansas City: the best of the cities above if you want to have non-disc golf stuff to do. Great bars and restaurants. This is the best city in the country that you didn't know was great, and the climate is workable (rarely too hot or too cold to play, although it can be muggy in the summer). And the disc golf is great. If you were going to have a disc golf-related bachelor party, this might be the best place to do it.

I am planning on taking a road trip during my school's Spring Break and decided to hit up Oregon and Washington. Since I can get on I-5, here in Sacramento, I figured it could lead me to new adventures and games in Oregon and Washington. Maybe if I get my passport renewed, take a little venture in British Columbia and play some 9 hole courses just a smidge north of the Washington/B.C. border.

I was going to mention Worcester, MA, and I'm glad there is some data to back it up. Within 30 minutes you have Maple Hill, Pyramids, both Devens courses, Barre Falls, Buffumville, Hyland, and Webster, all 3.5 or better. The city of Worcester is nothing remarkable, but if you're looking for a place to stay with terrific courses nearby, it's pretty great.

Of the ones above that I've played, here are my thoughts:

Charlotte: great for quantity of 3.5-level courses. It wouldn't be a bad place to live for that reason. I wouldn't say there are a lot of true stand-out courses here (other than Renny), but it's worth a visit to bag a lot of really good courses. I didn't think much of the city otherwise. I had a lot of trouble finding any quality beer. But none of the courses disappointed.

Denver: the city itself sucks for disc golf. But up in the foothills an hour away? Paradise. Beaver Ranch, Bucksnort, Bailey, and Phantom Falls are as good as it gets for a vacation, and the scenery is terrific.

Highbridge: the ultimate destination for sure. Best 36 hours of disc golf I've had. I can't wait to get back. The courses aren't overrated because they are together. These courses would be stellar on their own. The fact that they are a couple hundred feet apart is mind blowing. Obviously there is not much else to do up in this area, but who cares? You're going for the disc golf.

Kansas City: the best of the cities above if you want to have non-disc golf stuff to do. Great bars and restaurants. This is the best city in the country that you didn't know was great, and the climate is workable (rarely too hot or too cold to play, although it can be muggy in the summer). And the disc golf is great. If you were going to have a disc golf-related bachelor party, this might be the best place to do it.

About the beer, when were you here? If it was recently, you couldn't have looked to hard. Although I will admit that it can be difficult to find great beer and great food in the same place. Oftentimes it's one or the other.

About the beer, when were you here? If it was recently, you couldn't have looked to hard. Although I will admit that it can be difficult to find great beer and great food in the same place. Oftentimes it's one or the other.

December 2013. I don't meant at restaurants, I mean at liquor stores, grocery stores, etc. I really just wanted a bomber of something good for the evenings when I was in my hotel writing my reviews and resting up. I spent over an hour looking!

In Duncanville, TX, you can drop a marker and be within 15 miles of four 4-star courses and another two that miss the 4-star rating by less than one-tenth of a point. It's easy to overlook since the six courses are in five cities:

The Jaranator 4.50
Lester Lorch Coyote 4.31
Lester Lorch Beaver 4.18
Turner Park 4.10
Crossroads of Life Church 3.97
Veteran's Park 3.91

If you expand the distance to 30 miles from my marker, you have 13 courses that are 3.5 or better.