• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DESTROYER destroyers unite!!

Most of my embossed ones have been pop tops and pretty overstable. I have been working on beating one of them in but it is taking some time. I should just to buy a flatter one. Has anyone beat in one of the domey ones and did it turn into a bomber like the old sds did?

Is it just me or is the wing different on the 160s swirly philo star destroyers? I recently acquired one and it doesn't seem to have the same wing shape as the other destroyers I have. Almost like an L wing.

Is it just me or is the wing different on the 160s swirly philo star destroyers? I recently acquired one and it doesn't seem to have the same wing shape as the other destroyers I have. Almost like an L wing.

I have found the recent embossed destroyers in the sub 170g weights to have a straighter wing as well, and less dome. The higher weights seem to be more pop top and have a more concave wing with a sharper angle, and thus fly more OS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have found the recent embossed destroyers in the sub 170g weights to have a straighter wing as well, and less dome. The higher weights seem to be more pop top and have a more concave wing with a sharper angle, and thus fly more OS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great. Innova strikes again. This reminds me why I stopped throwing this company altogether.

Various runs of Destroyer have been released with the straighter "L wing" for a long time. I've commented on it before on here (who knows how many pages back). I've seen it before even on some older Star runs. GStars typically had it even in the initial penned McBeth era when the Stars were all uber overstable, which is why the GStars were much more workable. I don't think the L wing affects dome; I've seen ones like this with and without big pop top domes (which seem to make them more stable). Honestly, for my arm (~400 feet), the L wing Destroyers tend to fly much truer to the numbers and be usable out of the box rather than complete hogs until beat. I'm kind of happy I can buy Stars with the L wing right now rather than just GStars.

Various runs of Destroyer have been released with the straighter "L wing" for a long time. I've commented on it before on here (who knows how many pages back). I've seen it before even on some older Star runs. GStars typically had it even in the initial penned McBeth era when the Stars were all uber overstable, which is why the GStars were much more workable. I don't think the L wing affects dome; I've seen ones like this with and without big pop top domes (which seem to make them more stable). Honestly, for my arm (~400 feet), the L wing Destroyers tend to fly much truer to the numbers and be usable out of the box rather than complete hogs until beat. I'm kind of happy I can buy Stars with the L wing right now rather than just GStars.
I'm going to give this a shot for you're exact reason stated. I'm beginning to wonder if the old flat aj destroyer that was kinda Vulcan topped may have had an L wing. That thing was a bomber for me from the moment I bought it. Longest destroyer I ever owned.

I'm going to give this a shot for you're exact reason stated. I'm beginning to wonder if the old flat aj destroyer that was kinda Vulcan topped may have had an L wing. That thing was a bomber for me from the moment I bought it. Longest destroyer I ever owned.

I never owned any of the "Destrulcan" run, but you could be right that they had the L wing as well as the weird top. I've got a current embossed 163g Star with the L wing which was a bomber out of the box, basically a -2 2 kind of flight for me.

I never owned any of the "Destrulcan" run, but you could be right that they had the L wing as well as the weird top. I've got a current embossed 163g Star with the L wing which was a bomber out of the box, basically a -2 2 kind of flight for me.

This is why I came here to ask this question. I'm getting the info I need. Now I know that this will be a low wind or tail wind disc. Which is fine. I have Legacy Outlaws in varying plastics and weights that will handle just about any type of wind. I really got this disc because Philo is one of my favorite players. This should be interesting as they come. Lol. Thanks for your input.

Did anyone pick up the Narwhal stamped Destroyers from DGU? I got mine today and they are TASTY.

JPCGIxU.png

I went for the 170-172g range since that's my favorite and they have a great pop top as usual.

Did anyone pick up the Narwhal stamped Destroyers from DGU? I got mine today and they are TASTY.

JPCGIxU.png

I went for the 170-172g range since that's my favorite and they have a great pop top as usual.

Lucky! I wanted some of them, but DGU's website was seriously screwing up while I was trying to buy them. It would show me colors/weights and I'd add them to my cart, then when I went to the cart to checkout, it would tell me that some item in my cart was out of stock and wouldn't let me checkout, but not which items. Then I'd empty my cart and go back and refresh the Narwhal Destroyer page thinking some had been all bought up, but it would still show me the same colors and weights available in the drop downs. I ended up giving up after a while.

Lucky! I wanted some of them, but DGU's website was seriously screwing up while I was trying to buy them. It would show me colors/weights and I'd add them to my cart, then when I went to the cart to checkout, it would tell me that some item in my cart was out of stock and wouldn't let me checkout, but not which items. Then I'd empty my cart and go back and refresh the Narwhal Destroyer page thinking some had been all bought up, but it would still show me the same colors and weights available in the drop downs. I ended up giving up after a while.

I think I jumped on it early enough to miss most of that. I only had one sell out while I was checking out (bright green max weights) so I removed that and checked out without it. I told my buddy about these after I ordered and it took him about 10-15min just to load the checkout screen. Something glitched during the process and he had about twice as many Destroyers in the cart than he wanted but since it took him so long to get to the checkout point he didn't want to risk it and just bought them all anyway.

I think I jumped on it early enough to miss most of that. I only had one sell out while I was checking out (bright green max weights) so I removed that and checked out without it. I told my buddy about these after I ordered and it took him about 10-15min just to load the checkout screen. Something glitched during the process and he had about twice as many Destroyers in the cart than he wanted but since it took him so long to get to the checkout point he didn't want to risk it and just bought them all anyway.

Lol, yeah I think I saw that bug as well, where it would double the number of discs I had added in the cart. It was happening to me when I went to add the shipping to the order. So weird. Well, I hope you enjoy them anyway. Next time, maybe I'll see my Twitter notification sooner and be a little faster. :)

innova has no interest in straightening this mess out either. I like what alpha did with run, color etc.. giving you an idea of what you might be buying. the word might is key.

none the less the destroyer is the upper echelon of flight for a golf disc. but be prepared to spend some money. I got about 200 dollars in destroyers just in the last two years or less.

None of them fly to my exact parameters yet. My steve brinsters are the closest but just too dam heavy. I kept one for my destroyers to use in very windy conditions. The other two never came out of the plastic bag and went into the collector bin. The super beef Paul runs have been field tested and placed in the collector bin as well.

The philo's were the closest to the amazingness that I wanted in flight. Those got moved from collector bin to back ups.

Problem is once it starts getting warm the Philos will be too soft and the saga of my shrinking wallet continues in an effort to find some equivalents in stiff star plastic around 167 g. that aren't meathooks.

Last edited:
https://youtu.be/_tI1-U3hpLk
2zyvq0j.jpg

McBeth candidly discusses his McPro aviar-stamped swirl star destroyers at the 1hr46min mark of this video. He talks about what run they are (stock up NOW! on Wiggins & 2013 Brinster runs!!) and how many he has in his stash.

Last edited:
McBeth candidly discusses his McPro aviar-stamped swirl star destroyers at the 1hr46min mark of this video. He talks about what run they are (stock up NOW! on Wiggins & 2013 Brinster runs!!) and how many he has in his stash.

Wow, that video is seriously hard to understand. Anyway, yeah basically it sounds like he got a small run of swirly stars with his Aviar stamp in between the Wiggins and Brinster runs, and all but one of his are max weight. That doesn't surprise me really. I have a couple 2013 Brinsters. They are too overstable for my arm, but definitely not the meat hooks that the early penned 4x McBeth ones were. They still have nice glide if you can get them up to speed. I think you need to be able to throw 450+ to really make them perform though. I know Big Jerm bags some swirly Brinsters too; that's a run he really likes as well.

Last time I looked, the 2013 Brinsters still didn't fetch much of a price premium although it looks like they have gone up somewhat and are now in the $40-$50 range. The Wiggins run has been expensive and hard to get for a while now. I don't think most players need to "stock up" on those runs though because unless you are in the top 0.1% in terms of distance, you're not going to be able to make them perform anyway. Most players are better off with the current embossed run or, if you want to support a pro, the Philo run.

I was going through my box of drivers and came across my DX Destroyer and F2 Star Destroyer. Remembering the conversation in this thread about L-wings, I looked at the wings of these discs, and it sure looks like the Star Destroyer has an L-wing bottom side (but the top is not a Destrulcan). The DX Destroyer looked like a more "normal" Destroyer wing that I'd expect of an OS disc.

I may try these out as "into-the-headwinds" discs and see how they run... er, fly for me.

Threw a metal flake champion Destroyer on the course the other day. BEEF! Thing is very overstable. If I absolutely maxed out on power I could get it to fly flat for a bit. No high speed turn. Not even close.

I'd put this thing at about XCaliber stability. Glide was lacking. I figure I was about 30' short of what I generally throw an average star Destroyer at.

Frankly I haven't thrown any champion Destroyers that were anything but beefy. This MF one was especially overstable.

Picked up some 2016 Master's Cup gold destroyers that are pancake flat and fast as all get out. VERY stable with no turn, just a tiny bit into a wind.