• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG Social media (warning: the lack of BBQ talk is disappointing)

Well, if one third of her followers buy one disc from Innova at $18 then that's nearly $350,000 in disc sales. If half of them buy just one of her tour series discs for $20 then that's over half a million dollars in disc sales.

Include overhead and that number is way higher.

Oh dang, sorry, didn't realize they only sold her discs in Estonia.

Or that she only played competitively in Estonia.

My apologies again.

To be fair, besides the competition she played in the US and the European Championships (In Czech Republic, not the biggest Disc golf market), I believe she only played competitively in Estonia in 2021. In 2020 she played a couple of tournaments in Finland, but the few othes locally in Estonia.

Her discs of course sell all over the world, and probably (not sure) more so in the EU. But to my knowledge it's mainly in Scandinavia and Estonia/the Baltics that disc golf is "fairly" big. But I would say that disc golf is no way near as big in Europe as in the US, maybe with the exception of Finland. Sweden has had a huge disc golf growth the past two years, but it's still a very marginal sport here and there are very few here that even know what disc golf is when you tell people about it. At least not that you can play disc golf competitions and certainly not that there are actually disc golf professionals.

Last edited:
And you sound like a fanboy. He was merely pointing out some obvious reasons, that make Kona an attractive piece to their marketing.

It does beg the question....should Henna, Evangalina and Kristin be given stature, without proving they can back it up? IMO, they are the real deal, but until they are on tour, full time, putting in the travel, playing slave to the grind and beating the best in the world, week in and week out, they are unproven. I REALLY hope we get the chance to see. It would certainly elevate the FPO game.

Thats asking quite a lot. How do you assume someone from abroad has the same chance to participate as fully in the pro tour as someone living in the US?

I would also argue that for players who really consider themselves "fans" of a player, that they are not brand loyal. A lot of people bought Luna's because of Paul. There is also the group of people who like a brand's plastic/molds/stamps/whatever who are brand loyal.

So here's the crux, should the brand loyal people give a **** about what players their brand sponsors?

Yeah well I am obviously a DM guy, fan of the company. Loads of DM plastic due to that.

Also a fan of Nikko, and have his signature discs across, hold on... 4 different manufacturers. Only player I have done that with.

Were Eagle to leave DM, not sure I would pick up his new sponsors signature disc. But not sure I wouldnt, either.

I'm not a fanatic fan but I do care. Not going to name any names but if DM were to pick up a real sleazeball of a person, it sure would annoy me.

To be fair, besides the competition she played in the US and the European Championships (In Czech Republic, not the biggest Disc golf market), I believe she only played competitively in Estonia in 2021. In 2020 she played a couple of tournaments in Finland, but the few othes locally in Estonia.

Her discs of course sell all over the world, and probably (not sure) more so in the EU. But to my knowledge it's mainly in Scandinavia and Estonia/the Baltics that disc golf is "fairly" big. But I would say that disc golf is no way near as big in Europe as in the US, maybe with the exception of Finland. Sweden has had a huge disc golf growth the past two years, but it's still a very marginal sport here and there are very few here that even know what disc golf is when you tell people about it. At least not that you can play disc golf competitions and certainly not that there are actually disc golf professionals.

In all of these discussions, it should be recognized that disc golf is a marginal sport even in the US.

I'm 54 and until I was properly introduced to the sport in April of 2020 I was not aware that there were special disc for the sport. When I was invited to play I told my friend I only had one disc, an ultimate style disc I have kept since the 80's. He gave me 3 discs as a starter set.

There is a course nearby at the lake I had seen a few people playing but still had no idea how developed the sport was.

That's the upside of disc golf. The room for growth is still significant even in the most aware locations.

Sorry for the 4 posts but this place is cooking right now. (Apart from the 2 people trying to prove something to strangers online)

I am acutely aware what my own meager sponsorship hinges on. It is NOT my skills of throwing the disc per se or subsequent success in events thereof, that I can admit straight up.

Also, even though it has improved some, I am still not much impressed by Rickys social media presence. But then again, I got to thinking, is Paul's either, anymore?

I remember watching his vlog way back but there's not too much content out there nowadays, is there? Some posts on IG when some elite event unfolds, but thats about it. For sure, he more than makes it up for it being on coverage and podiums but Ricky does as much of that as he does, does he not?

Sorry for the 4 posts but this place is cooking right now. (Apart from the 2 people trying to prove something to strangers online)

I am acutely aware what my own meager sponsorship hinges on. It is NOT my skills of throwing the disc per se or subsequent success in events thereof, that I can admit straight up.

Also, even though it has improved some, I am still not much impressed by Rickys social media presence. But then again, I got to thinking, is Paul's either, anymore?

I remember watching his vlog way back but there's not too much content out there nowadays, is there? Some posts on IG when some elite event unfolds, but thats about it. For sure, he more than makes it up for it being on coverage and podiums but Ricky does as much of that as he does, does he not?

For both Ricky and Paul, they do "enough" social media to keep fans appetite wet. Top level okay is their focus.

For both Ricky and Paul, they do "enough" social media to keep fans appetite wet. Top level okay is their focus.

Paul seems to have some reservations when it comes to what type of content he wants to do. He really doesnt need to do be in "can disc golf be played in roller skates?!!!" content for contents sake videos. Doing a boring driving from KC to Emporia video would get as many views and take a lot less effort.

DD marketing/videos have always had an annoying tone or have been cringe worthy. But that helicopter and song choice took it to a whole new level. I fully expect McBeth on a Yacht when he re-ups his 10 year contract to beat Ricky's now matched payday.

But maybe this is what resonates with the newest generation (or pandemic) of disc golf fans? I did see a number of comments like "this announcement brought tears to my eyes"… etc.

This marketing push for Kona and Ricky feels like it's trying to be something it's not (or disc golf is not).

Thats asking quite a lot. How do you assume someone from abroad has the same chance to participate as fully in the pro tour as someone living in the US?

No, I think living abroad obviously presents challenges. Currently, the DGPT is a US based professional tour.

My point was simply, that there are considerable ancillary challenges that full time touring present. The grind of touring, traveling, time management, being away from home, family and friends, money management, weather, shopping, public appearances, playing, practicing...all become part of the equation. I think all of this has an opportunity to impact performance. To simply extrapolate success in a handful of tournaments over a couple years could provide a skewed result. I also think the exclusive level of competition week in and week out can have an impact on results and rating. Maybe not.

I am excited to see, if some of the top level FPO performers can come over and show the world, that they indeed can not only apply their obvious skill, but hold up to the rigors of a full time touring pro. I am hoping COVID allows it and that they have the various support systems in place, to allow for the additional difficulties of doing all this overseas.

It seems that Paul does most of his content through the Foundation YouTube channel these days, with Hanna doing filming/editing. There is some pretty cool stuff from his new course and different challenges with the Foundation crew.

I wonder how much of that will change now that his involvement with Foundation has changed.

It seems that Paul does most of his content through the Foundation YouTube channel these days, with Hanna doing filming/editing. There is some pretty cool stuff from his new course and different challenges with the Foundation crew.

I wonder how much of that will change now that his involvement with Foundation has changed.

He has participated in Foundation videos but he has his own channel that he posts videos on weekly

He has participated in Foundation videos but he has his own channel that he posts videos on weekly

Thanks, I will have to check it out. From what I have seen, his content is looking light years ahead of where it was a few years ago. He definitely seems to have embraced social media.

Last edited:
DD marketing/videos have always had an annoying tone or have been cringe worthy. But that helicopter and song choice took it to a whole new level. I fully expect McBeth on a Yacht when he re-ups his 10 year contract to beat Ricky's now matched payday.

But maybe this is what resonates with the newest generation (or pandemic) of disc golf fans? I did see a number of comments like "this announcement brought tears to my eyes"… etc.

This marketing push for Kona and Ricky feels like it's trying to be something it's not (or disc golf is not).

This was my feeling as well. They seemed very focused on making a splash and making the brand relevant again.

Latest posts