• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGN: The Disc Golf Network

Yeah, the worst shot format for this All Star weekend tournament is just dumb.... it would have been much cooler to see them play alternate shot on the second nine instead...

So what time does the Live coverage start today and tomorrow for the All Star event? I went ahead and bought this first month to try it out.

I believe you will get a reminder e-mail maybe 15 minutes? before coverage starts.

Yeah, the worst shot format for this All Star weekend tournament is just dumb.... it would have been much cooler to see them play alternate shot on the second nine instead...

I would have liked to see 'best score' format (both players play the hole, best score of the 2 is taken). Still allows for a lot of strategy, and more 'go for it' shots. Worst shot is brutal to play in and more so to watch.

I'm not a DGN subscriber. I intended on getting a sub, but after hearing people's complaints about the coverage this weekend I'll just stick to Jomez and the other post-produced coverage. I'll take waiting 24 hours for better coverage for free than paying for sub-par live coverage.

I feel like we need to make ourselves heard about this. I am willing to pay for a premium disc golf channel, but it has to be worth paying for!!!

Is Jomez/CCDG/Gatekeeper etc. still doing next day? Or even 2nd or 3rd card coverage? I looked the other day and can't seem to find anything. I have no problem waiting a day to watch a card play a round in about an hour, after work (second shift for me). For free.

During the summer when the pros are playing is when I'll be playing. And the spring and fall for that matter. I'm not willing to spend money on watching live when I could be out playing myself. Hopefully they put up some post produced coverage, even if it's a couple weeks later.

Here are the ways they could easily improve All Star Weekend and the format...

Get rid of Worst/Tough Shot... it is terrible.
9 Holes of best score..... 9 holes of alternate shot.... alternate shot would be awesome to watch..Make players alternate teeing off every other hole.

For doubles I also think it would be fun to have players flip for teams... kind of disc golf tradition...it is an exhibition.. keep it in the spirit of a weekend friendly at a local course. Have players warm up.... then flip.... then fifteen minutes to discuss strategy with your teammate.. and go!

Decide wether men or women are going first... and let them complete all 18 holes before the other group starts. This way you could have more cameras on each group and give people the chance to see all of the All Stars....

Make Doubles a one day mini tournament and separate from singles.......
Make Singles a one day mini of its own.

Here are the ways they could easily improve All Star Weekend and the format...

Get rid of Worst/Tough Shot... it is terrible.
9 Holes of best score..... 9 holes of alternate shot.... alternate shot would be awesome to watch..Make players alternate teeing off every other hole.

For doubles I also think it would be fun to have players flip for teams... kind of disc golf tradition...it is an exhibition.. keep it in the spirit of a weekend friendly at a local course. Have players warm up.... then flip.... then fifteen minutes to discuss strategy with your teammate.. and go!

Decide wether men or women are going first... and let them complete all 18 holes before the other group starts. This way you could have more cameras on each group and give people the chance to see all of the All Stars....

Make Doubles a one day mini tournament and separate from singles.......
Make Singles a one day mini of its own.

This is basic stuff that should not need to be said. If this DGN was putting the work in, and doing what has already been proven to work, you wouldn't see these complaints. When so many people sacrifice so much just to grow the sport, and then you have low effort cash grabs like this, you piss people off.

There isn't even any graphics or commentary for the coverage, and their site is completely confusing.

No, I didn't get to see the live footage. I basically paid 8 dollars last August for nothing, and paid 10 dollars yesterday for far too little, and what was provided was disappointing.

Last edited:
If I ran this DGPT weekend I would make Saturday the skills day. 25 foot putts, 50 foot putts, 150 foot approach game, distance contest, and maybe a "tight gap" game where you move a 10 foot gap back further and further until only 1 person left makes it. For each event you win on saturday you get $X and a 1 stroke lead for Sunday. Sunday is just straight singles for cash with the strokes from saturday benefitting the "skill" winners.

Is there any reason the PDGA discount can only be used on the monthly subscription price?
Perhaps because PDGA memberships are currently calendar year. Monthly DGPN fees make more sense rather than trying to adjust the remaining yearly amount for partial year payments when PDGA members renew or join later in the year.

During the summer when the pros are playing is when I'll be playing. And the spring and fall for that matter. I'm not willing to spend money on watching live when I could be out playing myself. Hopefully they put up some post produced coverage, even if it's a couple weeks later.

I've had this thought before too. I can't really watch live disc golf because if it's nice out and I have the time, I'm going to be on the course myself.

I've had this thought before too. I can't really watch live disc golf because if it's nice out and I have the time, I'm going to be on the course myself.

I haven't watched live yesterday or today... I've stayed away from the results and waited for the 'live' footage to be uploaded to their channel.

Weather was too great both days to not be outside playing.

https://www.reddit.com/user/jvphobic/overview

jamie really doesn't come off well in the majority of his comments IMO

That's not Jamie, it's Johnny V, who also posts here pretty frequently.

And I basically agree with him on almost everything I see here. 99% of the complaints I see about DGN are from people who seem to have little to no understanding of what it takes to produce live coverage, and how that differs from their precious beloved Jomez.

Nice job on the coverage this weekend DGN!

For those who don't follow this closely, DGN made some big infrastructure investments this off-season, both in equipment and manpower. The first event was bound to be a little rocky, so I personally have a pretty forgiving view on things. I watched a good amount of the coverage on Sunday and you know, I found some magic and thrilling moments especially with the last hole drama in MPO and the FPO side was really compelling with Kona's emergence in a big moment. Looking forward to Vegas!

Yeah. I'm not necessarily going to be out playing (I don't really play much on weekend afternoons), but there will probably be something ahead of watching live disc golf coverage (time with family, watching football, running errands, chores at home, working on my car or out driving, etc, etc, etc).

Yeah. I'm not necessarily going to be out playing (I don't really play much on weekend afternoons), but there will probably be something ahead of watching live disc golf coverage (time with family, watching football, running errands, chores at home, working on my car or out driving, etc, etc, etc).

Personally I rarely watch the live coverage with focused, rapt attention. It's usually something that I keep on while handling chores at home, stream on my phone while running errands or driving (just listening, not watching the video), etc., tuning in and out throughout the afternoon. I'll only sit down and focus if it turns out to be a heated battle coming down to the wire in the final round.

So really not that different from coverage of a ball golf tournament, or a baseball game or something. I don't know anyone who sits down and actively watches those things all the way through, and live disc golf probably shouldn't be any different.

Personally I rarely watch the live coverage with focused, rapt attention. It's usually something that I keep on while handling chores at home, stream on my phone while running errands or driving (just listening, not watching the video), etc., tuning in and out throughout the afternoon. I'll only sit down and focus if it turns out to be a heated battle coming down to the wire in the final round.

So really not that different from coverage of a ball golf tournament, or a baseball game or something. I don't know anyone who sits down and actively watches those things all the way through, and live disc golf probably shouldn't be any different.

I don't disagree. The difference is that I can get the golf tournament or a NASCAR race or a ball game on antenna television versus paying for a service.

https://www.reddit.com/user/jvphobic/overview

jamie really doesn't come off well in the majority of his comments IMO

reddit in general really doesn't come off well in the majority of their comments, either.

r/discgolf is probably the worst place I've ever been to for talking seriously about disc golf, and especially about coverage. It's pretty sad the amount of people who 1. have never watched any live golf before (ball or disc) who complain about live coverage and 2. try to compare a 3-4hr live event to a 30 minute post-production shot reel.

I don't disagree. The difference is that I can get the golf tournament or a NASCAR race or a ball game on antenna television versus paying for a service.

Just because YOU aren't personally paying for the service doesn't mean that it's free. We get enough sponsors in the sport like PGA or NASCAR and we'll get to watch for "free" also. TV contracts are 10s or 100s of millions of dollars for a reason.