• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2019 Great Lakes Open presented by DISCRAFT July 5-7

In addition to the dismissal of the fact, that the foundation of their ability to tour and make any money, is built upon the backs of thousands of volunteers and probably tens of thousands of volunteer hours. Biting the hand that feeds them seems like a bad idea.

This times a thousand.

You make some solid points. Now imagine this is how every one of those poor neglected pros has chosen to earn their living.

So again, yes they've chosen Pro disc golf to earn their living, does that mean they forfeit the right to have any expectations, and to point out when those expectations are not met?

Sounds like a lot of bitter, jealous people on these boards. If the Pros are trying to have their cake and eat it too, then so are all of you.

So much for following dreams and pursuing your passions. Put your head down and put in your 50 hours...

Don't hate the player, hate the game (the PDGA has created).

Absolutely dominant performance by Paige Pierce. After a somewhat slow start to her year, she's won five starts in a row and 8 of her last 11 (finishing second in the others). Seems she's right back where she was in the first half of last year...every tournament is hers to win.

Here is one thing I have noticed, might be irrelevant, maybe not. Paige wears those sturdy Keen hikers with thick tread. Cat likes regular Nike running shoes. Seems like when they are not on ideal pad conditions, Paige does fine while Cat seems to have footing issues.

I've played plenty of morning rounds on that Toboggan course and let me tell you those rubber tee pads are touch slick with that 8am morning dew on them (when the girls tee off). Notice something similar as BSF on those wet old pads.

Last edited:
So again, yes they've chosen Pro disc golf to earn their living, does that mean they forfeit the right to have any expectations, and to point out when those expectations are not met?

They have a right to certain expectations and certainly to have those expectations met. In fact, the players may be 100% right about this event and this TD and their complaints about it. Doesn't mean I can't think they're being entitled *******s for running to social media to air their grievances rather than talking to someone that might be able to address the problems directly.

It's not like they signed on to be touring players after being sold a bill of goods that no one is living up to. Touring life is a grind and an entirely unstable way to earn a living. Sometimes you have to take the bad with the good if you want the life.

In a way yes. . but in another way no ;)

By shortening the tee they have in many cases made it so that Paige is the only one in the field that can reach the basket in one.
From the long tee no one in the FPO field can reach in one but most can in two

I agree with this. A 500-100-putt is the same as a 400-200-putt score of three. If it's shorter, Paige could birdie where others couldn't.

More technical courses would also be a "Paige-proofing" remedy, but TPTB have determined they want us to see open courses and long, wide-open hyzers... :|

Sounds like a lot of bitter, jealous people on these boards. If the Pros are trying to have their cake and eat it too, then so are all of you.

So much for following dreams and pursuing your passions. Put your head down and put in your 50 hours...

Don't hate the player, hate the game (the PDGA has created).

Bitter? Because I don't have sympathy for people struggling while chasing their dreams? Hardly. That's how life works. Do I respect them for chasing their dreams? Yes. Do I think they deserve any special treatment for taking a risk? Hell no. If you can't support yourself in your chosen profession (which is performance-based, and they clearly aren't performing well enough), either find a second job to supplement until you improve and don't need it or a different job that allows you to support yourself. That's part of life. Just because you want to be a professional disc golfer doesn't mean you can be one.

Considering it sounds like Dodge is having trouble making ends meet for the tour itself, where do you expect those expectations to come from if Dodge can't provide them, and the pros don't want to work for them? Are you going to cover those expenses? I bet you want the PDGA to stretch their budget even thinner for people who just need to accept they need either a lot more practice or another career.

They have a right to certain expectations and certainly to have those expectations met. In fact, the players may be 100% right about this event and this TD and their complaints about it. Doesn't mean I can't think they're being entitled *******s for running to social media to air their grievances rather than talking to someone that might be able to address the problems directly.

It's not like they signed on to be touring players after being sold a bill of goods that no one is living up to. Touring life is a grind and an entirely unstable way to earn a living. Sometimes you have to take the bad with the good if you want the life.

Thought it was established that Paul's comments came from a private group chat that was leaked? Are you suggesting that Pro's can't have private conversations?

Thought it was established that Paul's comments came from a private group chat that was leaked? Are you suggesting that Pro's can't have private conversations?

I AM suggesting that nothing on the interwebz is really private and the generation of pros we are talking about, should know that.

....My dude....

Don't know if you're trolling me or what, but it's called the Professional Disc Golf Association. Not DGA or ADGA. It literally was formed to support Professional disc golf.

I suggest a deep dive into the financials the PDGA buries on its webpage. The number one expense, besides supporting its own existence, is the National Tour. The EDGE program gets like $2 per week; The TDs work for free or whatever they can skim off of disc sales; their major Pro events outnumber major Am events 3-1, and Am events have title sponsors footing the bill etc

Interesting post. If you look at most of my posts this year, I am 100% on board with getting the pro side of the sport up to a much higher level of exposure, money, etc. I had no idea the PDGA was supporting the pro side as much as you are claiming it to be. I admit I don't know anything about where the pdga puts it's money. But I will certainly take the time to do more research on the subject. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Absolutely pros can have private conversations. I've been a part of many private conversations (digital and analog) regarding various tournaments I've found lacking in some ways. They didn't find their way into the public though, and things I felt needed to be addressed I took directly to the TD or the PDGA or whomever was in a position to remedy the problem.

If person A said something in private and person B "leaked" it to make it a public thing, my issue is with person B. I don't follow most players on social media, at least not on whatever social media platforms these things have gone down on, so I have no idea who said what or who leaked what other than what has been put in this thread. I don't really care who person B is (or A), taking this public in the way it was was a dick move and I don't think it helps anyone to have done it.

So was this the tournament that the TD didn't have the payout money ready for?

If so, seems like the earlier criticism was justified and he should be put on blast.

Other players should be warned if he can't run a good event.

Two of the things about a fringe sport that is trying to grow are 1) it doesn't have ample news coverage and 2) the news people have complicated relationships with other stakeholders. I mean, there are ways to get to the bottom of this "story" but whether or not those ways are available to the disc golf "scene" is undetermined.

So was this the tournament that the TD didn't have the payout money ready for?

If so, seems like the earlier criticism was justified and he should be put on blast.

Other players should be warned if he can't run a good event.

Was there some validated facebook information that stated that players were not paid out?

From Steve Dodge's Facebook...

"On Tuesday I asked the event if the funds for the payout are in a checking account or PayPal. I informed the event that if it is the former, we need to transfer the funds on Wednesday. If it is the latter, we can wait until the weekend. I was told the funds were in PayPal.
Today I learned that they are in the bank account and it will take 3 to 5 business days to transfer the funds to PayPal. I should have insisted that the funds be transferred, no matter where they were, on Wednesday. This is very aggravating because you all are relying on me to do my job and pay you for doing yours.
We will pay as many players as possible asap. We will pay everyone as soon as the funds clear to our PayPal account from the event. If you need funds to register for an event or to put gas in the car, please PM me and I will try to get some payout funds to you quickly."

The ****show continues...

For those who missed this.

Uh oh. ru4por, you see that? Mr DGPT himself is blasting folks on social media. I eagerly await your "Kids these days and their social media" response.

-insert copious amounts of popcorn chewing-

-this post sent via third party telegraph-

I agree with this. A 500-100-putt is the same as a 400-200-putt score of three. If it's shorter, Paige could birdie where others couldn't.

More technical courses would also be a "Paige-proofing" remedy, but TPTB have determined they want us to see open courses and long, wide-open hyzers... :|

Technical courses like Idlewild where she has dominated the field two years in a row?

If you really wanted to Paige proof a course you would make a lot of holes that are around her max distance but have lots of OB.

But like someone else said, why would we want to set a course up to work against one of the only two truly solid players in the division. Having Paige and Cat both playing well and battling every tournament is the best case scenario for FPO until the field catches up to them.