• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2019 Great Lakes Open presented by DISCRAFT July 5-7

Was really pulling for KJ today.

You could see him pushing to make something happen down by one.

Had a great view of his shot on 16.... thought he was gonna hit metal on that.

Thought he was toast when his drive on 17 went OB, but McBeth left the door open when he missed his putt low... still had a chance to tie if Paul didn't birdie 18. But... "it is, what it is."

Props to them both for putting on a great battle.

He can throw... its just too bad he uses his face to shelter homeless squirrels...;)

ROFL. When I saw him in one of the thumbnails, I busted out laughing. Although, to be fair, I'll probably look the same in about 10 years. (I'm not nearly as gray as him, and my beard is shorter...so far)

Agreed. And it's an odd-numbered year, like the years which PP has won World titles. Could this be another such year for her? Time will tell.

I get the feeling (no proof, just a feeling) the slow start was due to her not working too hard in the off season, and it took some time for her to get back into peak form. And she's peaking just in time for Words and USWDGC. Look out, rest of field!

I follow cycling pretty closely and the teams make individual training and racing schedules for each rider to get them to peak at a certain race. Perhaps Paige just wanted to take it easier during the off-season. Perhaps she had life stuff to do. And/or perhaps she figured out when she wanted to be in peak form and planned accordingly. (Just thinking outloud).

The players who can take weeks off and design a schedule around key events should. That would probably include not wearing oneself out before the season begins. Been interesting to watch Paige improve markedly as season has progressed. Will be interesting to see where she goes from here.

I follow cycling pretty closely and the teams make individual training and racing schedules for each rider to get them to peak at a certain race. Perhaps Paige just wanted to take it easier during the off-season. Perhaps she had life stuff to do. And/or perhaps she figured out when she wanted to be in peak form and planned accordingly. (Just thinking outloud).

The players who can take weeks off and design a schedule around key events should. That would probably include not wearing oneself out before the season begins. Been interesting to watch Paige improve markedly as season has progressed. Will be interesting to see where she goes from here.

I agree. I wasn't trying to badmouth PP earlier, just observing that she had a slow start, was peaking now, and maybe the reason was she took some time off in the off-season. IIRC, she and her family worked on her live-in van during the off-season.

Anyhoo, she looks to be back on track. And when she's on track, the rest of the FPO isn't even boarding at the station...

Paige is getting hotter as of late but it's sad to see Catrina self-destruct. I was at the final round of Beaver State Fling and watched the FPO lead card start. Cat was talkative and excited in the beginning but on the third hole (if my memory serves me) and missed a putt. There was a little girl there who was a little restless and Cat begrudgingly spoke out loud to no one in particular to not move when she is putting. It was a short putt she missed and blamed a little girl. She was sullen the rest of the 5 holes before I left to see the men finish up. I really thought she would have a hot year but her emotions keep getting in the way. Sad because she is very talented.

I agree. I wasn't trying to badmouth PP earlier, just observing that she had a slow start, was peaking now, and maybe the reason was she took some time off in the off-season. IIRC, she and her family worked on her live-in van during the off-season.

Anyhoo, she looks to be back on track. And when she's on track, the rest of the FPO isn't even boarding at the station...

I had a part at the beginning of my post along the lines of "not implying that you are criticizing her." Should have left it in there and saved you the second post.

She did that XMAS group trip to Croatia(?) I know.

Hypothesis (untested): Paige's success is influenced by the type of course played in the event. Toboggan is relatively open with lots of elevation where power is rewarded. In addition, there's very little OB in comparison to several of the courses played earlier in the year.

Paige is getting hotter as of late but it's sad to see Catrina self-destruct. I was at the final round of Beaver State Fling and watched the FPO lead card start. Cat was talkative and excited in the beginning but on the third hole (if my memory serves me) and missed a putt. There was a little girl there who was a little restless and Cat begrudgingly spoke out loud to no one in particular to not move when she is putting. It was a short putt she missed and blamed a little girl. She was sullen the rest of the 5 holes before I left to see the men finish up. I really thought she would have a hot year but her emotions keep getting in the way. Sad because she is very talented.

IIRC, Catrina missed a very short put at this tournament, as well. Not sure what happened, but it went am-side (left) and barely even touched the chains. It wasn't like she just thoughtlessly flicked it at the basket, either; she lined up and threw the putt. That had to hurt, and missing a putt like that can really haunt a person for a few holes...

Hypothesis (untested): Paige's success is influenced by the type of course played in the event. Toboggan is relatively open with lots of elevation where power is rewarded. In addition, there's very little OB in comparison to several of the courses played earlier in the year.

Yea, but the DGPT has been shortening ("Paige proofing") the courses for FPO to take away her advantage, right?

Sometimes I forget how big Kensington Metropark is.

Talking to some friends who played in the DGLO Am event (which took place at both Kensington Black Locust courses... 2 rounds Sat, 3rd round this morning). They had a downpour Sat afternoon.

The very same afternoon, Toboggan had some clouds and it was humid as hell, but I never felt a drop in the 7 hours I was out there. probably about 2 miles apart as a bird flies.

Today's weather was easily the best of the event.

Last edited:
How old is JohnE McCray. 45? 47?
Say what you want about his grumpiness, but the guy can just play disc golf.

His Round 2 hot score was tied with the likes of PM, KJ, & ZM. This puts him in rare company with guys half his age. He had more birdies (12) than anyone, but one bogie. JohnE was only player in top 15 to bird #12. All very remarkable.

Yea, but the DGPT has been shortening ("Paige proofing") the courses for FPO to take away her advantage, right?

In a way yes. . but in another way no ;)

By shortening the tee they have in many cases made it so that Paige is the only one in the field that can reach the basket in one.
From the long tee no one in the FPO field can reach in one but most can in two

In a way yes. . but in another way no ;)

By shortening the tee they have in many cases made it so that Paige is the only one in the field that can reach the basket in one.
From the long tee no one in the FPO field can reach in one but most can in two

So, the scoring separation is likely better for the FPO from the long tees? What is the benefit, other than giving PP an advantage? Maybe round times?

It is an even more amusing indictment of disc golf that you say what you are saying in this, and then daring a touring professional who is on the road for several months of the year to work your 50 hour a week job.
Huh.

No, I think I did not express myself well. I am not touting how hard my job is, simply trying to emphasize that they are playing the game we love, full time. I also don't want to be interpreted as stating that it is an easy job. There are lots of time consuming work and hours put in, outside of the game itself, for many of the top touring players.

I really just get a bit salty at the keyboard warrior happy drama. The innuendo, supposition and just plain wrong information are simply an accepted part of this.

In addition to the dismissal of the fact, that the foundation of their ability to tour and make any money, is built upon the backs of thousands of volunteers and probably tens of thousands of volunteer hours. Biting the hand that feeds them seems like a bad idea.

With the continuation of that kind of nonsense, we are going to just see big, wide open golf course, one course tournaments, more often. The logistics of putting on an event at this type venue is infinitely easier than the work to prepare a disc golf course.

So, the scoring separation is likely better for the FPO from the long tees? What is the benefit, other than giving PP an advantage? Maybe round times?

I do think PP have an advantage what ever they do. . . on "shorter" holes she can disc down and on long ones she can outdrive the field.

On the shorter holes you often see PP throw mids and putters just as far as others can throw fairways. . . so it´s hard to punish PP for her distance. . but then, do we really want to?