• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2019 Memorial Championship

"aaaand next up, we have a blank screen"
-Uh, eh eh

Stopped watching right there and then.

Tried watching the FPO next day video....yaaa...no.... Going to take a hard pass on the next day coverage if that's what they are going to throw out.

Really? I thought it was excellent. Maybe it's because I finally upgraded my 7 year old phone.

The 4 second blank screen was the only mistake I noticed. The audio was really impressive. You could hear the player discussions and all the sounds from the course but at the same time the commentators were coming through clear.

I agree. If they make this live stuff available via the DGPT channel on my Roku it will be perfection

Shorter does not always mean easier, especially with lots of OB potential. The women also played in colder temps with more clothing layer changes over the round.

In all fairness the two holes that are different (1 and 9) have as much or more OB potential in MPO and significantly more distance and difficulty. Coldness too... It was pretty nice out objectively at the time FPO tee'd off.

I know you have a love of defending the ratings system, and I also defend it. But this one has to stick out as an outlier. The field would be shooting better in the FPO layout in 60 degrees than the MPO layout in 67-72 degrees.

"aaaand next up, we have a blank screen"
-Uh, eh eh

Stopped watching right there and then.

Maybe keep watching. It's actually pretty good except for that mistake. Camerawork is not quite as good as Jomez/CC, but the video quality, graphics, and audio are quite good. Seems like the camerawork got a little better as the round went on, as well.

Last edited:
In all fairness the two holes that are different (1 and 9) have as much or more OB potential in MPO and significantly more distance and difficulty. Coldness too... It was pretty nice out objectively at the time FPO tee'd off.

I know you have a love of defending the ratings system, and I also defend it. But this one has to stick out as an outlier. The field would be shooting better in the FPO layout in 60 degrees than the MPO layout in 67-72 degrees.
The issue, especially on courses with lots of OB, is the typical landing area locations for different skill level pools are different even on the holes where they play from the same tees. It's like they are not playing the same holes, i.e., a different course, on every hole the lower skill group, on average, can't reach plus par 4s, not just the ones with separate tees. While this is also true on "regular" courses, the difference in how a hole is played is more pronounced when the stroke cost is at least 1+ on every OB versus just a shot thrown offline on a "regular" hole.

The issue, especially on courses with lots of OB, is the typical landing area locations for different skill level pools are different even on the holes where they play from the same tees. It's like they are not playing the same holes, i.e., a different course, on every hole the lower skill group, on average, can't reach plus par 4s, not just the ones with separate tees. While this is also true on "regular" courses, the difference in how a hole is played is more pronounced when the stroke cost is at least 1+ on every OB versus just a shot thrown offline on a "regular" hole.

True. But that variance in landing zones in multiple divisions playing the same tees gets balanced by the propagators into an equal rating per score for all. In this instance it bolsters ratings for divisions playing even one separate tee where the challenge presented by the course plays differently for different divisions. I'm ok with some outliers and variances, but I think it's okay to admit that some data sets exist outside of the norm as opposed to a universal ratings system being applicable to every player for 100% of the cases.

True. But that variance in landing zones in multiple divisions playing the same tees gets balanced by the propagators into an equal rating per score for all. In this instance it bolsters ratings for divisions playing even one separate tee where the challenge presented by the course plays differently for different divisions. I'm ok with some outliers and variances, but I think it's okay to admit that some data sets exist outside of the norm as opposed to a universal ratings system being applicable to every player for 100% of the cases.
I'm saying you have a completely different landing area scattergram for FPO versus MPO on holes FPO, on average, can't reach. We have a pretty stark difference here between FPO/MPO propagator distance/skill levels and the shape of OB lines near their landing areas. It's enough to make those holes play differently independent of the propagator skill continuum on regular holes with no OB. And we're still only talking about 4-5% relative differences.

Yeah, AJ is bad and Uli's microphone was too low.

The coverage is like watching footage from 10 years ago. Maybe just first run and it will improve, but not a very good first impression.

I thought AJ and Uli did a great job on commentary. Well, when I could hear Uli he sounded good.

I am an unashamed Risley commentary fan.