• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2020 The Preserve Championship July 3-5

Like him or hate him, we need more Nikko for the sport. Awesome play in all 3 rounds, good for him. Dude brings a refreshing amount of energy to an otherwise low energy group of elite players. There's some things we should take from ball golf, but the low energy, quietness, etc, should not be one of them.

Wasn't there a video of someone calling Nikko on a foot fault while putting? Can't remember who(feels like Barry Schultz, but not sure), just remember him making the putt again and going off in Nikko fashion.

It was Barry.

Like him or hate him, we need more Nikko for the sport. Awesome play in all 3 rounds, good for him. Dude brings a refreshing amount of energy to an otherwise low energy group of elite players. There's some things we should take from ball golf, but the low energy, quietness, etc, should not be one of them.

I don't mind high energy as long as it is positive. When he hit that albatross at USDGC and ran around, jumped on the tree, etc. that was fine. Celebration, having a good time, sure, I'm all for that.

When he decided to lay up instead of going for the putt on 17 and then kicked at the basket, that's not the kind of high energy I'd like to see.

More of the former, less of the latter.

With everything going on in the world, I am very happy to see tournament disc golf back in action. From what I could see from watching online, I think the staff did a wonderful job and players likely had a top notch experience.

However, not gonna lie, I loathed everything about that course. This was not disc golf...this was throw plastic discs down wide open bolf fairway golf. I know that players can't play on a Maple Hill or Brewster Ridge every weekend, but I just hate that we are seeing more and more of these bolf layouts every year. This is simply not the disc golf I have come to know and love for the past 25 years.

At least the next two events are on actual disc golf courses that punish errant shots, like The Toboggan and Idlewild.

I was far more concerned with Nikko's COVID behavior, than his emotional behavior. High fives, hugs, crowd behavior, caddy behavior..... If the idea is a professional presentation to promote the sport, I call FAILURE. I watched the PDGA tournament this weekend as well. The difference in the behavior of the players, caddies and officials is staggering.

I feel like Nikko deserved it based on the final round. He was the most consistent of the 3 players involved, and that Iron Leaf on 17 was nasty. His attitude was okay (easy when you play well) for the most part, he justs needs to learn to be somewhat friendly with his cardmates.

And honestly, Eagle takes as much time to drive than Nikko takes to putt... so he's not the only one to blame. The pros are usually super slow, apart from a few exceptions.

Lizotte can remove his white Putter/Mid from his bag, since it easily costed him the tournament.

About the course design, Cale warned us that people would shred it so people should not be surprised.
I don't think it needs that much adjustments to turn into a good course, because there is potential. Some bunkers need to be OB/Hazard (hole 9, hole 18) and some tees pushed back (hole 2, hole 15).
A few more or tighter OBs (hole 4, hole 11, hole 12)
And hole 18 is definitely a par 4 in modern disc golf.

The coverage was nice, especially on the big screen TV.

Player ratings have alot to do with it.

That's what happens when FPO are rated against FPO.

If it was the case for every tournament, Paige would probably be the highest rated player in the world and Paul could potentially be out of the top 3.

It can´t be that common for a FPO player to play all rounds over 1000 rated?

Paige impresses but i still think she could have made -12 to -15 rounds . . .to many "bad" tee shots that is "saved" by the lack of OB

It can´t be that common for a FPO player to play all rounds over 1000 rated?

Paige impresses but i still think she could have made -12 to -15 rounds . . .to many "bad" tee shots that is "saved" by the lack of OB

Same for the Top Guys we were seeing them do bad tee shots just saved from OB, by lack of OB.

Im pretty stunned by all the Nikko hate I've seen the last couple of days. This is mildly hyperbolic but at this point, whether by design or not, he is living rent free in seemingly every PDGA pro and announcer's head on one level or another.

I get it to a certain extent but all the pearl clutching only gives Nikko reason to never change IMO.

On another note, was that just wind on Simons drive on 18 or did he screw up? It was really nice to see him play a strategical game this weekend.

Paige P is REALLY good at putting. . she only missed ONE C1 putt and made 5 from C2
That´s better stats than most of the men. .Better than Nikko, Simon and Calvin

Thats just impressive. . .Missy is a good putter but she did miss 6 from C1, but she´s still 2nd in FPO

Hard to beat someone that outdrives the FPO field and makes more putts than most of the MPO field

( but she was basicly worst in the field in FAIRWAY HITS. . .so something to work on )

Last edited:
It seems that the scores these 1st two rounds would indicate the exact opposite is happening. These 700' holes are by and large getting 3's and 4's. I think that 75% you mention have exactly the same opportunity to get 3's on a 700' hole. Anyone that can throw 400' has that chance.

But what if the hole was 600' or 625'? Now you have a certain percentage of the field that CAN reach the green in one, or at least circle 2. Maybe now you have more score separation. I don't care if you call that a par 3 or par 4. I am in the camp that thinks it is sad to not have a hole of a particular length or difficulty simply because setting what the par would be is less clear.

Maybe this is more of a 'par' discussion/issue than a scoring separation issue. But obviously, with 19 players at -20 or better, there appears to not be much scoring separation at present.

I do agree that it does set up for a potentially awesome final round, perhaps with several in contention going into the final holes. That is great for fans of course. I for one am quite excited to watch the final round live!

I'm not saying if 75% has a chance to get a 3. I'm saying if they do get a 3. There's a big difference between those two statements.

I'm all for scoring separation (as you mentioned). But reducing holes from 700' to 600' wouldn't increase scoring separation all that much. I think it'd reduce it by changing a good amount of 4s on that hole to 3s, while only changing a few 3s into 2s.

As I stated earlier (perhaps unclearly), I don't think changing distance is going to create as much scoring separation as adding trees will. After hearing other thoughts on adding distance, I get it and think it'd help, but I think the best suggestions were to move the tees/pins to where more trees are in play. This often coincided with adding distance, but I think the trees (or elevation) that'd come with the distance would be the real score separator.

Quite possibly the most exciting back 9 of disc golf I have ever watched live...course I have only been watching for 1 year...:)

I encourage you to watch 2014 pro worlds. Only 2 players really in the mix there, but what a finish. Clutch shot after clutch shot.

Latest posts