• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2021 DGPT - Idlewild Open presented Aug 13-15

I'll try to answer this, and others can fill in/correct stuff.

The horizontal axis is the number of holes that each player has completed, like I think you were suggesting. Vertical is the total number of strokes that each player is projected to throw for the tournament, based on their current pdga rating. Wysocki, McMahon, and McBeth are listed at the top initially, because they have the best pdga ratings, so it makes sense that they are expected to throw a smaller total number of strokes.

At the end of each hole, a new computation shows how many total strokes the player is projected to throw at that point. In Eagle M's case, he was projected to throw about 176.5 strokes total before the tournament started, but after hole 1, his projected total went down a bit to around 176.2.

Without knowing Steve's formula for computing projected number of strokes, I simply look to see how much each player's total projected strokes went down or up in value after each successive hole. If their total strokes projection went up during a particular hole, then I interpret this to mean that they did not score well on that hole (or at least well against their projected total score). If their projected score changes greatly, either up or down, then I know that their performance on that hole was very good/bad.

You nailed it.

The projected throws for each hole for each player is just a linear fit of all the scores on that hole to the player ratings. These are usually not integers.

When the slope goes the wrong way (higher ratings have higher scores), the projected score for everybody is just the average score on that hole. This usually only happens in FPO because of sparse data. T

You nailed it.

The projected throws for each hole for each player is just a linear fit of all the scores on that hole to the player ratings. These are usually not integers.

When the slope goes the wrong way (higher ratings have higher scores), the projected score for everybody is just the average score on that hole. This usually only happens in FPO because of sparse data. T

man, you're smarter than me or have way too much time on your hands. probably both. pretty cool, though....

So... McBeth used to be a tweaker?

Wow. Who'da thunk it?

:p

I will say I was there, and that shot looked weird on TV and looked way tighter than in person. They were out of the line, and throwing idle 1000's of times. DGPT was literaly the people moving them and he was coordinating the crowds, etc. I mean they were literaly standing on the ob wall of hole 1. I guess, it was just the camera angle. Day 2 was pretty rough with crowd control, but can say the final round, it was really good. They were barking pretty harshly at the crowds.

"...[O]ut of the line..." (as you say) is one thing. But if they are close enough to affect play (with the wrong, shall I say, "ricochet" off of a late tree or whatever), then imho they ARE still too close and on the field of play. When people are so close or so "I-don't-care-ish" (as I've seen in some cases), that they are literally "ducking out of the way," "hopping/jumping over," or "moving to just barely avoid" an errant (or sometimes even good) throw, particularly rollers, then that's too close. For example, how many times at Ledgestone will we watch the baseball field throw where people are literally sitting on the ground, in their lounging chairs, looking like they're having a picnic, less than 10-15 feet from the OB line? Yet we've become so OK that it is part of the game that people excuse it, kinda like...

I mean you even mention here "standing ON the OB wall" one day. Doesn't that imply that a throw could be affected one way or the other by them being that close? Yet we're seemingly OK with it. I still don't get it. Please help me understand. You really think that every single spectator lining hole #8 was 100% totally safe from and 100% unlikely to affect the flight of a disc that hits a tree close to them? That's what you're telling me -- that the camera angle made it look like that, but there was really no possibility of that happening? really?

My son and I are catching the Tigers vs the Reds this Friday, and with our excursion to Idlewild...

This year, I'll have hit 3 of the DGPT 2021 Elite Series courses + 1 of the Silver Series.

Iron Hill + Stafford Woods in April
Toboggan a few times
and soon Idlewild :)

Latest posts