• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2021 DGPT - Idlewild Open presented Aug 13-15

Something odd about some of the drives Paul McBeth missed today. Very strange to see him miss at least twice what were relatively wide open lanes. Also very unusual to see him lose a solid lead in the final round.

Why are the women still playing disc golf at 7:40pm EST on a Sunday night? Why were the tee times not shortened to 10 minute or 8 minute gaps today? Or a cut made on the Open Men side? So that the last women's card isn't teeing off at 3:40 pm, and results in players still on the course and playing disc golf at 7:40pm on a Sunday night?

I agree, I would hate to be playing so late especially if I was traveling. I'm confused about the decision to start the FPO so late in the evenings. Was this decision made because a 9:30 EST tee time would mean Valerie and partner would have to start their broadcast at 6:30? Is it fair to assume DGN has basically set up a studio at the Doss' house?

More rumblings starting to come from fans about seeing only half of every FPO tournament round. DGN is advertising they start covering women's rounds between holes 4-6. But that's just not the case, typically it's between holes 9-11.

I agree, I would hate to be playing so late especially if I was traveling. I'm confused about the decision to start the FPO so late in the evenings. Was this decision made because a 9:30 EST tee time would mean Valerie and partner would have to start their broadcast at 6:30? Is it fair to assume DGN has basically set up a studio at the Doss' house?
IIRC the decision for FPO starting later was made to boost the women's viewership. Valarie not having to start early in the morning is a byproduct.

More rumblings starting to come from fans about seeing only half of every FPO tournament round. DGN is advertising they start covering women's rounds between holes 4-6. But that's just not the case, typically it's between holes 9-11.
They indeed stand by their word, usually. It's just the MPO finish at Idlewild was exceptionally entertaining, there were like 10 players with a chance to win with three holes to play.

Why are the women still playing disc golf at 7:40pm EST on a Sunday night? Why were the tee times not shortened to 10 minute or 8 minute gaps today? Or a cut made on the Open Men side? So that the last women's card isn't teeing off at 3:40 pm, and results in players still on the course and playing disc golf at 7:40pm on a Sunday night?

They know the setup going into these events. It doesn't come as a surprise to them.

As a viewer I personally love the fact that I can go out and do stuff with my day and watch into the evening. DGPT is in large part viewer driven. If they started at 1 and were done by 5 or 6 I wouldn't watch at all.

IIRC the decision for FPO starting later was made to boost the women's viewership. Valarie not having to start early in the morning is a byproduct.

They indeed stand by their word, usually. It's just the MPO finish at Idlewild was exceptionally entertaining, there were like 10 players with a chance to win with three holes to play.

...and those players were on 3 different cards, so they had to deploy camera crews to 3 different holes.

Last edited:
Raised baskets are one of the solutions TD's and course designers have gone to even more so in the last decade to try and make putting harder. But as we see it play out, what we see is guys simply laying up instead, and nobody wants to see McBeth and everyone else layup from 35 feet like he did yesterday on 4.

So instead of going with bigger and bigger baskets and taller and taller I simply say do the opposite of the trend. Lower to the ground. Make the catching area smaller. Give players the option to try and make it.

If I'm understanding things correctly, I asked you a question, but you didn't answer it and simply restated what you thought. I understood what you said already about raised baskets allowing for more "go for it" situations." My question is if your statement about raised baskets being "less entertaining" accounts for the value of roll-aways/blow-bys, which are more common on raised baskets and quite entertaining in a very different way. I'm not saying that misses are more entertaining than makes, but I am trying to say there is more to entertainment than good shots. I enjoy seeing the pros make mistakes along with the good shots, and I think many people are on board with that as well.

If I'm understanding things correctly, I asked you a question, but you didn't answer it and simply restated what you thought. I understood what you said already about raised baskets allowing for more "go for it" situations." My question is if your statement about raised baskets being "less entertaining" accounts for the value of roll-aways/blow-bys, which are more common on raised baskets and quite entertaining in a very different way. I'm not saying that misses are more entertaining than makes, but I am trying to say there is more to entertainment than good shots. I enjoy seeing the pros make mistakes along with the good shots, and I think many people are on board with that as well.

That's the entire point of making putting harder. Does anyone enjoy watching (name your top pro) make a 25 footer? Probably very few. It's simply not entertaining because they make it far too often.

Just get it within 30 feet and they are good. That's not testing the best players skills.

Does anyone enjoy watching a great upshot to 10 feet? It doesn't really matter if (name your top pro) is 10 feet or 25, it's nearly always the same score.

If you want entertainment you need putting to matter, or more so top pro's to miss putts.

I'd far rather see greens and the approaches to the greens designed in more creative ways... In stick golf you've got greens that are actively designed to have easier or harder regions. According to data from the Trackman app - average stick golfing pros make 95% of their putts from 12' with no break, versus only 40% of their putts from 12' while on tour. The fact that our touring pros make such a high percentage of their putts is not a referendum on the target any more than the fact that stick golfers make 95% of their no-break putts from 12' is a referendum on the ball/hole sizes.

If the average disc golf pro is a 95% putter from 25' on a flat green in practice, we should be focused on improving green design such that they're 40% putters from that range in tournaments. It is perfectly fine for them to be 95% from that range - if we are making it difficult for them to achieve a spot on the green where that putt can be accessed. To some extent USDGC and Belton (I think) had it right with the mozzarella sticks. But it should be done using more natural obstacles. Shrubbery, small trees, more severe slope where possible, even aesthetically pleasing elevated baskets.

Just the same interjection of a worn out topic, into yet ANOTHER completely unrelated thread....for the sheer purpose of a troll garnering attention.

If you want to interact with this troll on his only DGCR purpose, go find his smaller basket attention thread.

just finished watching lead card on Jomez. being a dominant forehand player i absolutely loved Marwede's play on this course! i also appreciated the profile where we got to learn a little more about about his background.

i would really like to see somebody bring this guy in on commentary. with his obvious intelligence and being so well spoken this would be a good opportunity to put another positive face on the sport.

I'd far rather see greens and the approaches to the greens designed in more creative ways... In stick golf you've got greens that are actively designed to have easier or harder regions. According to data from the Trackman app - average stick golfing pros make 95% of their putts from 12' with no break, versus only 40% of their putts from 12' while on tour. The fact that our touring pros make such a high percentage of their putts is not a referendum on the target any more than the fact that stick golfers make 95% of their no-break putts from 12' is a referendum on the ball/hole sizes.

If the average disc golf pro is a 95% putter from 25' on a flat green in practice, we should be focused on improving green design such that they're 40% putters from that range in tournaments. It is perfectly fine for them to be 95% from that range - if we are making it difficult for them to achieve a spot on the green where that putt can be accessed. To some extent USDGC and Belton (I think) had it right with the mozzarella sticks. But it should be done using more natural obstacles. Shrubbery, small trees, more severe slope where possible, even aesthetically pleasing elevated baskets.

I've always liked this idea also. Obstructions on the green is the dg equivalent to reading a tricky slope on a golf green. A player might be 25 feet out but still has to shape a putt. Anybody can practice flat putts forever and eventually get to be pretty automatic.

On the elite level challenge those players with their ability to shape a putt when the pressure is on, not allowing muscle memory of thousands of open flat putts to take over.

As far as those who would say it's weak sauce to have a great approach get hung up behind a tree or bush, be 20 feet out, and have no look at the basket…that's also an intentional design to having obstructions on the green. You're encouraging or discouraging certain lines to get to the pin. The mentality shouldn't be get within circle 1 and be rewarded with a flat gimme putt.

Of course on paper that's easy, the trick is using the land available to have a challenging green that flows with the rest of the hole's design.

If you want to interact with this troll on his only DGCR purpose, go find his smaller basket attention thread.
^ Worth repeating.

If you want to address a basket size related post made in some other thread, just quote the post you want to respond to, and copy it to your clip board.

Then paste it in the "Putting is too easy and the baskets are too big," thread ...and respond to it there.

That helps avoid thread drift and keeps conversations where they belong.

Last edited:
Has PMB said anything about the final round? I would tend to think that something is/was up...injury, serious personal matter of some sort....idk.

Has PMB said anything about the final round? I would tend to think that something is/was up...injury, serious personal matter of some sort....idk.

Now that im remembering he also changed his putting stroke in the middle of 4 tourneys...i think he has some sort of injury.

Latest posts