• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2022 Portland Open June 2-5

I think Simon was right in deciding to go for the eagle, as he was throwing first. He gives GG control if he plays for birdie. Assuming Simon feels like the throw is well within his ability, he is controlling his destiny, ensuring at least a playoff if he executes on the eagle throw. Heck, even with the OB he had an outside shot at the birdie by just throwing in. A slightly better executed shot that still goes OB has a very makeable birdie putt.
I pretty much agree with this.
There's no single strategy that's right every time.

Simon said he'd worked on that shot in practice and was familiar with it. At the time he took that shot, I thought it was a reasonable risk, rather than a foolhardy one. Unfortunately for Simon, the wind gave him a bit more turn than he could afford.

Big props to GG and Simon separating themselves from the field and battling it out down the stretch. GG was canning big putt after big putt. That must have driven McBeth crazy, as he couldn't seem to get off the struggle bus with his putting... or he might have been in the hunt, too.

Yeah, immediate post-round interviews should be three questions max. Brian asked all the questions he should have asked - there's just not that much flexibility you have as a reporter in those moments.

Simon's never a bad interview, he's only better or worse compared to other interviews he's given. I actually thought his first answer was thoughtful considering the moment. Him saying "terrible interview" just shows how pure he is and how unfiltered he is.

Simon did a couple of podcasts post OTB where he talked about how he doesn't know what to say right after, and that it feels really awkward for him.

I think part of it is that he doesn't believe, really very much at all, what the various sports cliches would have him say. He talked a lot about how he didn't feel like he really played different at OTB than any other tournament, just that he felt that the breaks went his way. Not being able to embrace the narrative that you caused your own success is going to end up feeling awkward.

I think he also has come to feel that he plays best when he isn't putting too much pressure on himself. He isn't putting too much stock in exactly where he finishes, so he isn't going to lean in too much to being effusively joyous after a victory. He really does care mostly about the fans, and their enjoyment, and you see that come out as he is hi-fiving the whole crowd.

Simon has now been 2nd 1st 1st . .has anyone else gone back to back in 2022? (in MPO i know Kristin has done it in FPO)

Question #1: "What's going on?
Question #2: "Talk about this incredible gallery"
Question #3: "Bring us into your mindset going into that shot."

Are you saying he should have asked different questions? Sure, his phrasing of how does it feel to go back-to-back was a little awkward, but that's the question you should lead with.

And you have to ask about what he was thinking with his second shot on 18 - maybe you phrase a little differently, mentioning how his less aggressive play has helped produce winning golf and that shot was the complete opposite of that, but... I definitely wanted to hear what Simon was thinking going into that shot.

Asking about the gallery feels very DGN-centric, acknowledging the huge number of spectators and Simon gave a great quip about how this felt like Europe. It's a clip that you can use for promos.

Part of the awkwardness of the interview has to be that Simon probably thought he had given the win away, and was just shocked that Double G made an even larger error when there was much less uncertainty about what it would take to get the W.

It was a really weird end to the tournament. 17.5 holes of amazing skill and gamesmanship by those two guys, then they both make significant errors. Not only on the same hole, but on the same shot. Not sure I've ever seen it happen like that before.

Still though: congrats to Simon, he 100% earned it. I really like the lap of high fives, but maybe use the non throwing arm. Isn't he trying to take it easy on that elbow??

Are you saying he should have asked different questions? Sure, his phrasing of how does it feel to go back-to-back was a little awkward, but that's the question you should lead with.

And you have to ask about what he was thinking with his second shot on 18 - maybe you phrase a little differently, mentioning how his less aggressive play has helped produce winning golf and that shot was the complete opposite of that, but... I definitely wanted to hear what Simon was thinking going into that shot.

Asking about the gallery feels very DGN-centric, acknowledging the huge number of spectators and Simon gave a great quip about how this felt like Europe. It's a clip that you can use for promos.

Well only 1 of these are actually questions. As has been beaten to death by athletes in other sports, "talk about" framings put the athlete in an incredible frustrating position where the lack of a direct question sets them up to flounder, putting the burden on them to come up with something to say in a vacuum.

The interview was hella awkward and as the person asking the "questions" that's 100% Earhart's responsibility. Sure Simon's gonna be adrenaline filled and scatter-brained at that point. That's still the media person's responsibility to meet them where they're at and get a good interview out of them.

Simple thing seems like getting rid of the immediate interview. Give him the trophy, still have a live person there, but just congratulate him and let him give a couple quick thanks, and move on.

Let him settle up the scorecard and all that, then sit him down at the DGPT table once he's had a few minutes to get composed and actually interview him.

Seems like it's just one of those things that's forced because "live DG".

Part of the awkwardness of the interview has to be that Simon probably thought he had given the win away, and was just shocked that Double G made an even larger error when there was much less uncertainty about what it would take to get the W.
Bingo. I could swear Simon still had a stunned look on his face during the interview.

It was over when his 2nd shot went OB. Then GG returns the favor (and then some, considering his lie vs Simon's).
...and before you can say "Back to Back DGPT Elite Series wins," he's high fiving fans, on an adrenaline fueled high.

Sure, cognitively he knew he'd won, but sitting down for that interview, you could tell he was still trying to process the series of events that led to his being the interviewee.

Well
The interview was hella awkward and as the person asking the "questions" that's 100% Earhart's responsibility. Sure Simon's gonna be adrenaline filled and scatter-brained at that point. That's still the media person's responsibility to meet them where they're at and get a good interview out of them.

Agree with every word of this, especially the underlined.

FWIW - GG's OB reminded me of Paige Pierce's wayward upshot in 2021 World's. Even the best of us can misfire at the most inopportune moments.

Last edited:
Simon said he'd worked on that shot in practice and was familiar with it. At the time he took that shot, I thought it was a reasonable risk, rather than a foolhardy one. Unfortunately for Simon, the wind gave him a bit more turn than he could afford.

I was spectating and I followed the lead card through hole 15, then walked up to 18's green and got a spot near the basket. There was a 3-card backup on 18 and the wind picked up as the third card was coming in. We seemed to have the strongest wind I experienced during the weekend as those last two cards played hole 18. I think it had an effect on both Simon and GG's decision-making and execution.

I never understood the appeal of short interviews of pros where they ( understandably ) just spew of some generic responses. You need like a lengthy interview where they an go into detail, on a podcast or something.

I need don't need to hear anything, i can just watch their reaction.

Seems like it's just one of those things that's forced because "live DG".

Its rampant in other sports too. Like in track and field, the athlete needs to answer questions in between pulling in massive gasps of air. For some that may have the immediacy of the situation appeal, but cant you wait one minute for them to catch their breath? They'll still be sweaty and all and in the moment but can form continuous sentences at least.

I just thought it was hilarious that Earhart immediately assumed Simon was talking about him.

Then called him out on it while still live, which is totally unprofessional on his part.

Latest posts