• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2022 Portland Open June 2-5

I was following a group at Blue Lake on Thursday. While looking for another player's disc off the fairway on (I think) hole 16, one of the player's found a disc she had lost in practice on Monday. It was about 10 feet off the fairway and she said she and others had looked for it for 20 minutes the day she lost it. And no one else had found it for three days.

Yep, that rough is thick!
As nasty as that rough looked on video coverage, I'm sure it's worse up close and personal.

Performance Tracks
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• PO22M.jpg
    PO22M.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 209
  • PO22F.jpg
    PO22F.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 193
Simon gifted it to Double G and Garrett gave it right back.:doh:

I totally understand why Garrett chose to throw the flick layup on his 2nd shot on 18, it seemed like the highest % chance to fade right and just place it in bounds. That being said, he was throwing that blue color glow Roc3 on gorgeous turnover lines all weekend. He'll be reliving that shot and choice in his head for awhile.

Really interesting that Simon chose to go for an eagle on 18, when that hole had only yielded 5 birdies on the day. He stated afterward he didn't want to deviate from his game plan, as that was the only way he practiced the hole. Whereas Garrett wisely deviated from his game plan but his execution was so poor it almost seemed like a poor decision.

One other note, while discussing Double G's OB flick shot. I have become increasingly frustrated with multi-cam coverage switching to the catch cam mid flight. During Garrett's shot, it looked like it was going to fade back in bounds when they switched to the catch cam showing only a large tree instead of the disc landing OB. You couldn't tell if it hit a stake, dug in, counter-skipped, or anything. Even in the replays the kept showing the same shot.

I often find myself wanting to watch the entire flight from one angle. It seems like it flips to the catch cam during the prettiest part of the flight as well a lot of times. Anyone else get annoyed by this?

I totally understand why Garrett chose to throw the flick layup on his 2nd shot on 18, it seemed like the highest % chance to fade right and just place it in bounds. That being said, he was throwing that blue color glow Roc3 on gorgeous turnover lines all weekend. He'll be reliving that shot and choice in his head for awhile.
I am sure he will, but that shot didn't lose him the tournament, only prevented the win. His roc upshot is what technically lost it. Had he simply gotten up and down from his OB spot, he would have still forced extra holes. From that distance, he was nailing shots like that all weekend long. He juiced the forehand and short-armed the backhand. Tough way to finish for sure, he deserved better, played a great tourney.

I totally understand why Garrett chose to throw the flick layup on his 2nd shot on 18, it seemed like the highest % chance to fade right and just place it in bounds. That being said, he was throwing that blue color glow Roc3 on gorgeous turnover lines all weekend. He'll be reliving that shot and choice in his head for awhile. .

Yeah I had the same response as you. Though I guess when he threw the Roc3 turnover on his second attempt at an approach and also screwed it up I could see why he wasn't comfortable with it.

Earheart was super salty after Simon said "terrible interview" (referring to himself of course).

It must have been super awkward when he questioned him, "did you say terrible?"

My daughter just happened to be watching the last couple of holes with me. When the interview was over she said something about how bad the interviewer was. Interesting that she picked up on something when she rarely watches disc golf. It really did just seem disorganized or something. Not necessarily Earhart's fault. It was generally pretty awkward.

In any case, way to go Simon. And keep going GG!

Yeah I had the same response as you. Though I guess when he threw the Roc3 turnover on his second attempt at an approach and also screwed it up I could see why he wasn't comfortable with it.

It's a touchy turnover shot and situation for certain. But let's say he throws his Roc3 turnover instead of the forehand and it does fade OB at the end. He would still get to take his mark way up the fairway, similar to Simon. I still tend to think he made the correct decision, but it really is interesting to ponder.

It's a touchy turnover shot and situation for certain. But let's say he throws his Roc3 turnover instead of the forehand and it does fade OB at the end. He would still get to take his mark way up the fairway, similar to Simon. I still tend to think he made the correct decision, but it really is interesting to ponder.

Great point.

One other note, while discussing Double G's OB flick shot. I have become increasingly frustrated with multi-cam coverage switching to the catch cam mid flight. During Garrett's shot, it looked like it was going to fade back in bounds when they switched to the catch cam showing only a large tree instead of the disc landing OB. You couldn't tell if it hit a stake, dug in, counter-skipped, or anything. Even in the replays the kept showing the same shot.

I often find myself wanting to watch the entire flight from one angle. It seems like it flips to the catch cam during the prettiest part of the flight as well a lot of times. Anyone else get annoyed by this?
Alternate views are nice, but they should stick with the same angle until the disc stops. If the catch cam shows an interesting look compared to the original view, let the viewers see that while players are walking down the fairway.

Earheart was super salty after Simon said "terrible interview" (referring to himself of course).

It must have been super awkward when he questioned him, "did you say terrible?"

When was this? I must have missed it.

When was this? I must have missed it.

After the interview. :D

Seriously, right after they finished, it was as if neither was even sure that they were finished. Earheart left the screen but came back into the shot almost immediately. (I think that's what everyone is talking about. My daughter and I were talking at the time so I missed the actual dialogue.)

I legit thought Earhart's interview was very well handled; I feel like he noticed Simon was super flustered after the first question and threw him a softball question that was basically a prompt to thank the gallery. After that he took one more stab at getting into his mind and then released him.

Simon definitely said terrible interview but clearly meant his own performance and Brian probably thought the camera was back in the booth.

Interviews like this will happen when you interview people a minute after tapping out. It has its pros and cons.

I wonder if GG thought Simons putt from OB was shorter than it was?
To me it looked 80% that Simon would get a 6 on than hole before GG threw his 2nd (didnt Simon go first?)

So if GG knew Simon would get a 6, why not play his 2nd and 3d and 4th shot much more safe

To me it looked 80% that Simon would get a 6 on than hole before GG threw his 2nd (didnt Simon go first?)

So if GG knew Simon would get a 6, why not play his 2nd and 3d and 4th shot much more safe

I think he was "playing safe" when he threw the forehand- just failed to execute it.

Simon took a 5 on that hole (drive, OB shot, layup, tap-in). Garrett needed to chip-chip for birdie 4 to win. Obviously an execution error, and I think a mental error. GG throws forehands when he has to, but it's not his go to.

Rewind, that's why I think it's the wrong take to criticize Paige Pierce for throwing the Fierce on 18 for the upshot at Champion's Cup. You can say that the lack of a consistent forehand is a weakness in GGs game, or that PP would be better off having the same comfort level with a different mold in that situation, but that's water under the bridge when it comes time to throw a shot in a tournament.

I think Simon was right in deciding to go for the eagle, as he was throwing first. He gives GG control if he plays for birdie. Assuming Simon feels like the throw is well within his ability, he is controlling his destiny, ensuring at least a playoff if he executes on the eagle throw. Heck, even with the OB he had an outside shot at the birdie by just throwing in. A slightly better executed shot that still goes OB has a very makeable birdie putt.

I legit thought Earhart's interview was very well handled; I feel like he noticed Simon was super flustered after the first question and threw him a softball question that was basically a prompt to thank the gallery. After that he took one more stab at getting into his mind and then released him.

Simon definitely said terrible interview but clearly meant his own performance and Brian probably thought the camera was back in the booth.

Interviews like this will happen when you interview people a minute after tapping out. It has its pros and cons.

Yeah, immediate post-round interviews should be three questions max. Brian asked all the questions he should have asked - there's just not that much flexibility you have as a reporter in those moments.

Simon's never a bad interview, he's only better or worse compared to other interviews he's given. I actually thought his first answer was thoughtful considering the moment. Him saying "terrible interview" just shows how pure he is and how unfiltered he is.

Brian asked all the questions he should have asked - there's just not that much flexibility you have as a reporter in those moments.

Question #1: "What's going on?
Question #2: "Talk about this incredible gallery"
Question #3: "Bring us into your mindset going into that shot."

Latest posts