• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: Nick Hyde

Okay, take a look at the Jomez cover shot of Simon and Peter McBride. If these guys aren't long lost brothers I'll eat my hat. Provided it's made out of beer of course.

So, what biscoe and others here were saying is that it might hurt the sport? They weren't calling Ricky out? Got it. The notion occurs to me that if you're commenting about something one of the top two players in the world is saying, in a public forum that is accessed by a lot of people who might get a negative impression, you might want to write it carefully saying something like, "we should all help protect the sport by speaking and writing carefully.". I was misled into my misunderstanding by the directness of the posts. Sorry.

Can I get a list of the good people who've walked away because of something a pro said about not calling off a tournament?

You are the one who took the statement "Wysocki should know better" and turned it into someone being called a baby. Damn right I was calling him out, just as i would anyone else. You are extrapolating a whole lot more from it though. No one "misled" you- you just got butthurt over something you read into what was a concise, clear statement.

Consider me a "good person" or not, I have been there done that on the TD/volunteer burnout thing and pissing/whining from players is a considerable factor.

It's not a coincidence that the winner never says "we should keep playing" and they guy in second never says "we should stop."

These players, for the most part, solely care about their wallet and have very short term vision.

True Story

To me, it's not a media thing or a matter of players learning how to deal with/talk to the media. That it was a player talking to a reporter just happens to be the latest incarnation of an issue that has long been a "thing" in our game.

Biscoe alluded to it already: players like to bitch. Often they do it without thinking things out and without consideration of the impact their words might have (right or wrong), whether they're high profile pros or just another voice on a local club message board. It happens often enough or gets loud enough, good people end up walking away.

I belong to several clubs in WI. Before leaving FB, I followed almost all of the WI clubs. I witnessed this pattern of behavior frequently, unfortunately. The one exception is a small, private club that I belong to :thmbup:

Heck, read enough threads here, and you may notice similar behavior. Perhaps in this thread, even ;)

As someone who has complained about both the quality of footage and commentary in the past few years I just wanted to mention how much I enjoyed watching Jomez coverage with Big Jerm and Nate Sexton doing commentary. The video coverage has really come a long way in the past few years. Those 2 guys do an excellent job of keeping commentary exciting, educational and informative without being too silly or stupid. Great job all involved.

The real question:
How does Streets' Sock Monster stack up against the one and only SockIBomb?

FTFY :D

On the subject, it definitely sounds like the right call was made, although it sucks that it cleared up afterwards. Thunderstorms are no joke, so erring on the side of caution is, IMHO, the better move.

I don't have one little problem at all with what Ricky said. Y'all really got a case of the Mondays.

I don't have one little problem at all with what Ricky said. Y'all really got a case of the Mondays.

Perhaps you have a case of the fanboys.

You don't understand how the other competitor's safety should be more important than Wysocki's desire to keep playing (and hopefully win more money)?

Or how the final round just couldn't be further delayed?

Had he been in first place, do you think he would have raised the same fuss?

What disc 23:36 is the lil fella throwing on round 1 front? Looks strange, epic'ish.

And minute 1 of back 9

Last edited:
As someone who has complained about both the quality of footage and commentary in the past few years I just wanted to mention how much I enjoyed watching Jomez coverage with Big Jerm and Nate Sexton doing commentary. The video coverage has really come a long way in the past few years. Those 2 guys do an excellent job of keeping commentary exciting, educational and informative without being too silly or stupid. Great job all involved.

Can't agree more.
Jomez' choice of commentators over the last few events has been stellar.
Especially enjoy Jerm's easy, relaxed, homey commenting.
He is a lot like Sexy in that way.
Big Sexy commentary was fantastic.

Perhaps you have a case of the fanboys.

You don't understand how the other competitor's safety should be more important than Wysocki's desire to keep playing (and hopefully win more money)?

Or how the final round just couldn't be further delayed?

Had he been in first place, do you think he would have raised the same fuss?

Hardly a case of the fanboys. More a case of a bunch of pussies scared to play in mud. I understand why the decision was made, but agree with Ricky. Get some cleats bitches and deal with it.

Just throwing my props to Steve Dodge, Matt Siri, and the whole crew for thinking of safety before all else.

As was previously stated, "Lightning will kill you." So will falling branches, trees, or freaking tornadoes (which spawned only a little ways east)

The right call was made.

Hardly a case of the fanboys. More a case of a bunch of pussies scared to play in mud. I understand why the decision was made, but agree with Ricky. Get some cleats bitches and deal with it.

While Simon made mention of the mud being a concern to him and his surgically repaired knee, my understanding is that they delayed play because of lightning and wind creating dangerous conditions. And then they called it off when they reached the point where even if they started the round, finishing it in daylight was unlikely.

Nothing to do with being scared to play in the mud.

You are the one who took the statement "Wysocki should know better" and turned it into someone being called a baby. Damn right I was calling him out, just as i would anyone else. You are extrapolating a whole lot more from it though. No one "misled" you- you just got butthurt over something you read into what was a concise, clear statement.

Consider me a "good person" or not, I have been there done that on the TD/volunteer burnout thing and pissing/whining from players is a considerable factor.

I think you and I have a different notion of butthurt. I get it from spicy food. You seem to get it when people don't agree with you.

You talk about my extrapolation and then go on to extrapolate a whole ton of things I didn't say. I simply said, cut them some slack. Sport is new, they're young at this. I acknowledged they need to learn management, and I posted that it couldn't be restarted, contrary to Ricky's position, not in any logical way.

We all know that being careful in such situations and doing the right thing for safety sake, is essential. Calling a 21 year old guy out cause he says something silly, based on youth and inexperience, isn't nearly as profitable as supporting the decision and supporting the PDGA when it supports such decisions IMO.

Now, I had spicy Thai last night and I'm feeling a little butthurt so I think I'll go visit the porcelain god.

Could have finished on Monday. That's what real golf tournaments do---oops there's the fanboy in me speaking again.

Could have finished on Monday. That's what real golf tournaments do---oops there's the fanboy in me speaking again.

Yeah let all those people with real jobs just say 'Hey I'm going to hang out here for another day because we still get to play'. I'm betting the vast majority of the field wouldn't have played anyway.

Latest posts