• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGWT cancelled?

From The Press Release said:
Individual events such as the United States Disc Golf Championship will continue to run despite not being part of the DGWT.

Considering they didn't create the event, this is a ludicrous statement. Of course it's going to continue. They were lucky that it was allowed to be a tour

Maybe when they return they'll be smart enough this time bring disc golf to everybody in the world and not just the men.

Looks like someone is taking their frisbees and going home...:p

Does this news actually shock/sadden anybody?

Also, it seems like the imposed media rules/blackouts did not help "Grow the Sport" to its epicness Pro potential either...???

Last edited:
It doesn't shock or sadden me; I'm just curious about the timing.

Certainly they put a lot of effort and resources into trying to do something big. We can doubt their wisdom, doubt their methods, doubt whether the goal of making disc golf a spectator sport is achievable. But it's more than I've ever done or tried to do, and I'm reminded of a Teddy Roosevelt quote:

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

Perhaps we'll learn from their mistakes, and the example they provide---either to do it differently next time, or to remember that disc golf is primarily a participation sport, not a spectator sport.

Does this news actually shock/sadden anybody?

Yes!
Don't get me wrong, I won't be crying myself to sleep over this. But, any (positive) coverage helps legitimize our sport to those that are otherwise unfamiliar with the sport...

You (and others) may not think the DGWT is a big deal, but they are working to strengthen our reputation and promote the sport of disc golf. To me, that is a positive influence in the right direction.

So, even though taking a year off will not destroy the sport, it does not move us forward unless they come out big in 2019. Here's to hoping for a full recovery and improvement for the 2019 season.

Not having these events be apart of the DGWT doesnt really change much. Maybe Konopiste dies out if no big pros go play it but not much is going to change. Not having their live scoring might suck a bit but if they bring in UDisc to do it then those events will have an upgraded live scoring IMO.

Not having these events be apart of the DGWT doesnt really change much. Maybe Konopiste dies out if no big pros go play it but not much is going to change.
Konopiste Open gained major status for next year, which is a bigger change than DGWT not being part of it. We'll still have a European major and pretty much guaranteed quality field like previous years.

All they did for these DGWT tournaments was put their logo on it and take away live coverage, correct? Other than the DGWT points bonus $ at the end of the year was there actually any $ added to the tournament itself?

Don't like to see people fail but I don't think this is a loss for disc golf.