• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc finding luck?

The last three times I've gone out, I've left a disc on the course. Each time it was my own fault. Throwing more than one disc and forgetting to pick them all up.
I've gotten called about all 3. One was on a course too far away for me to go to, so I told the caller I appreciated it and he could have a clear conscience keeping it.
The second, the caller insisted I not give him a finders fee and he left it in his mailbox so I could get it while he was at work. I left $10 in the mailbox and sent him a text letting him know not enough people return discs and he definitely deserved a reward. Not to mention it was my go to Comet.
The third had been clipped by a lawn mower and wasn't throw-able anymore, so I once again thanked the caller and told him to enjoy the disc.

It doesn't happen every time and I don't lose many discs, but I put my info on them just in case. Because it is very sweet to be re-united with a once lost disc.

Well, I went swimming for discs today in a creek about chest-high. I was out there for a couple hours, and found these. All unmarked and in great condition. DX Leopard, DX Shark, and Champion XCaliber.
2a6bb810-3778-4da1-bd74-5c3c421b540a_zps8b5b1a67.jpg

One of the cool unmarked discs that I have found was an Innova Phenix.

I'm old enough to have found and played with a Discraft Phantom II! Also a Lightning F-15 Eagle (sky blue). I remember tossing that one around at Ball State back when the nearest course was probably in Indy. (1991)

Would love to have ever seen a Phenix, though. Don't believe I ever have.

I'm old enough to have found and played with a Discraft Phantom II! Also a Lightning F-15 Eagle (sky blue). I remember tossing that one around at Ball State back when the nearest course was probably in Indy. (1991)

Would love to have ever seen a Phenix, though. Don't believe I ever have.

Its the most overstable disc that I have ever seen. Jay Dub said that pros used to get them before a tournament and throw them repeatedly into the ground to loosen them up! When golf specific discs first came out, I gravitated to Discraft and Phantoms myself.

picture.php

I went to play a round tonight and already lost the DX Leo that I just found today. While I was swimming around trying to find it, I found this one. I gave up on my Leo, but have another so it's all good.
eec0d4e5-3505-4f42-8772-806059c98b75_zps7141635e.jpg

It varies by state, but, yes...after a certain amount of time that item becomes the property of the finder. Usually 90 days!!

It is more complicated than that. It also depends on how it was lost. There are three classifications: abandoned, discarded, and lost. If discarded, it is essentially unowned. If lost, most states do not have a time limit. However, there is also a value limit, if under $20, it could be difficult to pursue legally.

Ethically, you should always try to return discs. A finders fee is reasonable when lost in water or is otherwise difficult to retrieve.

You guys are all super lucky.. I've had one disc returned to me.. & that was because it was a guy from the site who came to meet me and went in for me to grab it. Re-united with my volt.. Great guy!

I still would like to find my other 8 lost discs.. :( Sad to lose them..

once i lost a champion monarch that was triple stamped and was pretty cool. about a week later this guy in front of me was showing his friend this cool disc he found in the woods. it happened to be mine, and he was a kind enough soul to give it back to me

Doesn't count as a find, but my buddy lost his Champion Boss today. While we were looking for it, we let 2 guys play through and told him what we lost. When we were done playing and went back to the parking lot, one of the guys gave my buddy a Champ Boss. I've met some incredibly nice people playing DG.

That's awesome, thrembo! Probably not a lot of those still "in circulation."

You can find them on ebay, but this is the only one that I have seen with this stamp. It wasn't Innovas best mold imo. Its way overstable. I think it starts going left before it leaves your hand!

Its the most overstable disc that I have ever seen. Jay Dub said that pros used to get them before a tournament and throw them repeatedly into the ground to loosen them up! When golf specific discs first came out, I gravitated to Discraft and Phantoms myself.

picture.php

Jay Dub told me this very thing last night. Apparently they would stand in a circle and beat them into the ground repeatedly. ;)

Jay Dub told me this very thing last night. Apparently they would stand in a circle and beat them into the ground repeatedly. ;)

A bunch of dudes standing around in a circle "beating" things repeatedly, eh?

Hmmmmmmm… ;)

Lost a bunch found a bunch. Never gotten a call though.

I've returned 3 in total, made probably 10 more calls with no answer/reply to texts or was told to just keep it.

I've found a Z buzz, DX Valk, Champ Wraith, Glow Leo, and some other random DX stuff.

Fun fact, I've had 4 Xcals over about the course of a year, never bought one. Each time I lost one, next day I went out I found one somewhere either with no number or person told me to keep it. Weird.

You can find them on ebay, but this is the only one that I have seen with this stamp. It wasn't Innovas best mold imo. Its way overstable. I think it starts going left before it leaves your hand!

Speaking of old, way way overstable Discs, I was playing yesterday with a guy who had an old-mold Ram in his bag that he said he found...150 class! I've never seen a 150 Ram!

Speaking of old, way way overstable Discs, I was playing yesterday with a guy who had an old-mold Ram in his bag that he said he found...150 class! I've never seen a 150 Ram!

I don't think that the 150 class was a big seller for Innova. Then again I'm not an Innova expert, I've always been more of a Discraft guy. Sometimes I'll throw my trusted old Deuce into the bag, and let people ask "what the heck is that thing?". Also it can be fun using a disc older than some of the people in your group.

I was at a guy's house in Battle Creek last year who had a Discraft Deuce among his stack of yard-tossers! Brought back some memories. I remember driving down to Fort Wayne when one of their (godawful) courses opened up...maybe 1997 or 1998?...and a guy had more than one Discraft Deuce in his bag.

Another guy at that event (it was league night and he was one of the guys who seemed to be pretty involved) made a good throw. I asked what Disc it was and he replied, "I don't know." I did a double-take. How could you <i>not know</i> what Disc it was you just threw? That was the state of affairs in Fort Wayne at that time. Glad I live where I do...

Latest posts