• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Flight Ratings Chart

Blake_T1

* Ace Member *
well, the store/wholesaler i work for had me whip up a ratings chart for all the models currently in production.

it is available for download at: http://www.gottagogottathrow.com/catalog/pdf/JoesFlightChart1.pdf
and prints to a single page.

for models available in multiple plastics, the ratings are a weighted average.
e.g. the crush (range, high speed stability, low speed stability, power requirement)
z = 5, -0.5, 4, 5
x = 5, -1, 3.5, 5
d = 5, 0, 4, 5
overall = 5, -0.5, 4, 5, with the greatest weight given to the z model, as it outsells the others by about 7:1.

interested in feedback and comments. keep in mind the ratings are targeted with two things in mind: 1) this chart is meant for players with less than 425' of power and 2) the discs were mainly evaluated at the speed ideal for their designed characteristics.

that will be very helpful to me when i try to explain to my dad what he needs to throw and all th terminology. he just cant grasp it and i thnk this will help alot. not to mention help me find what other discs fliy like compared to the discs i throw on a rgular basis.

great job.

threw for the new chart today.

Roadrunner 5 -2.5 1 3
Hybrid 4 0 3 4
Avenger 5 -0.5 3.5 5
Spectra 5 -1.5 2 4
Touchline Over 4 -1.5 2.5 4
Touchline Under 4.5 -2 2 4
Touchline Bank 3 -2 2 2
Touchline True 3 -1 2 2
Touchline Putter 1.5 -2 1 1
Sharpshooter #1 3.5 0 3 4
Sharpshooter #2 2.5 0 3 3
Sharpshooter #3 1.5 0 3 2

am on the fence with the tracker right now. either -1 or -0.5 and a range of either 4.5 or 5... threw the photon today, will have to throw the x one when it comes in along with the d banger. tweaked the avenger slightly.

The updated chart just went live:

http://www.gottagogottathrow.com/catalog/pdf/JoesFlightChart1.pdf

Blake,
I'm just curious about the Orion having a power requirement of 5 on the chart. To me the Orion seemed very Sidewinder like, maybe even like a pro plastic version of the Sidewinder with very similar flight characteristics when new. What was it about the Orion that makes it a 5 when the Sidewinder has a 3 power requirement?

Thanks.

various factors went into the power requirement...

the main ones:
cruise speed
nose angle sensitivity
speed sensitivity
angle sensitivity

power requirement is more of a skill requirement. while distance does not necessarily equate skill, most players cannot usually break the lower plateaus if they cannot throw nose down, etc.

an orion will fly overstable for someone who can only throw 225' due to its speed and sensitivity, but a sidewinder will probably fly fairly straight for someone with 225' of power.

the HSS and LSS between the two isn't much different, but there is another factor that isn't really quantifiable and that is the disc's ability to plane out and fly stable if flattened from a hyzer. an orion will generally fly straightish from a hyzer whereas a sidewinder will still perform a wide s. this is most apparent when throwing up hill. a sidewinder will still generally turn on these shots whereas an orion is more likely to stall due to its wide wing unless you have a ton of arm.

i throw around 380' and i find that i do not turn my orions, even when they are broken in. i actually find i have to throw them much harder than i like throwing most discs in order to get a straight flight out of them. if i really crank on it, it will turn, but i don't usually throw that way. the sidewinder i can throw 50% power with no runup and still turn.

power requirement is more a factor of beginner friendliness.

Smyith said:
whens the new chart coming out, i know you said you were throwing some of the new discs for it?

That's what's wierd... I ordered a few discs from GottaGoGottathrow.com and then threw in a free issue of Disc Golf Magazine with an updated chart in the middle of it. However, the E-Store website doesnt have the 1-15-08 version.
I suppose I could scan it in and put the pic up online...
Email me if ya want it

I do LOVE this chart Blake. It's very usefull and I keep a copy in my checkbook. When I go to my local retailer this chart comes out of the checkbook. Turned a couple of the clerks onto it too.

Blake did you change websites for this chart? I do recall seeing in a thread that you were not working for gottathrow anymore. If that's accurate where are you working?

Pagan

i did not get a chance to throw the new discs yet as i have not returned from my video trip yet.

i am still working at GGGT part time and can be reached there ~10am-2pm CST Monday through Friday.

IDK either way i would say get some from ggt, and support the company or direct people to the link.

yes, there are a lot of new discs slated to be added, but due to past knee injuries i cannot throw when temperatures are below ~45 degrees.

i have tossed it around a few times and my initial impressions of it are something like range 1, hss -2 , lss +0.5, pwr 1

dude, i have so many joint injuries it's actually funny because if i start rattling them off people are like "omg, wtf man"

suck part is that some of the deep tissue therapy i've been having done has been breaking up adhesions and 15 year old trigger points.

might sound like a good thing, but when your foot has no ligaments left in it and adhesions, scar tissue, and muscle knots are the only things holding it together (and have been holding it together for 10+ years) it's quite painful when the bones start shifting around. in the past 2 weeks my left foot has gotten 1/2" wider (from collapsed bones) and my pinkey toe moved forward 3/4".

hopefully bionic replacement joints will be available in my lifetime :p

Blake_T said:
yes, there are a lot of new discs slated to be added, but due to past knee injuries i cannot throw when temperatures are below ~45 degrees.

i have tossed it around a few times and my initial impressions of it are something like range 1, hss -2 , lss +0.5, pwr 1

That's cool. Off the top of my head I wouldn't know entirely what the numbers mean. I tend to get more from looking at the chart as a whole and comparing between discs. Looking forward to your official analysis once the weather is better.
-Matt

ok I was looking at the chart, and theres something that has never sat well with me. Its the HSS of the wraith and QK, if someone reaches the rated "5" power requirement, neither of these discs are stable enough for a rating indicating 0 high speed turn. for referance other discs that are rated 0 hss is the starfire x, teebird, venom, teerex, pulse tsunami, and monster. I know alot of guys w/ decent good smooth form that will throw a wraith flat or w/ a touch of hyzer and get a natural turn, especially in Pro, CFR and even star plastic (the dx starts freaky stable). then the QK although they didnt last w/ brand new flight long, I remember them having a bit of high speed turn.
please dont take this as a swing at the chart, its by far the most comprehensive and complete chart out there.

Latest posts