• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf does not need "golf"

Ridiculous

The thing holding dg back IMO is the connection with ball golf.
Apples and oranges. Opposite ends of the spectrum. Why persist with the charade ????

IMO,
This is a ridiculous and superannuated post!! Golf is one of the oldest and most respected sports/talents, so why would you want to distance the game of Disc from this? I may be a little biased seeing as how I am have been teaching and playing golf for 6 years as a PGA member, and basically playing my whole life, but when you have big name Pro Golfers like Bubba Watson and Rickie Fowler playing in their free time, it can do nothing but good for the advancement of Disc golf EVERYWHERE!!!!!

I guess the biggest most obvious reason this is just silly, is the fact that the game is fully based upon the rules and play of Golf.

Last edited:
Ridiculous thread, retarded idea. If you can't appreciate the similarities and unbreakable link between golf and disc golf then it's pretty safe to say you're not very good at either...

There are differences in the sports for sure but there are more similarities than differences...and I've seen disc golfers get just as clique-y and judgmental as they accuse golfers of being.

Perfectly well put.

Bah what do you guys know, you've been playing less than 5 years, you don't know anything about disc golf. Only people that have been playing multiple decades can speak on the matter because they are the only ones that know anything about disc golf.

We will call it just disc. I want to keep the golf part. I love referring to the game as dg.

Let's try this again:

So your PDGA-hating argument is "The PDGA is ruining the casual nature of our sport by enforcing a dress code for NT events..." How have I hated on the PDGA? I'm a member, which is more than I can say for you. I just stated that if the game becomes not fun for any reason, I'll go back to playing casual. I enjoy the casual aspect of the game.

What are you on? The Professional Disc Golf Association has no jurisdiction over casual rounds in the first place. You don't need PDGA approval to play the sport, install a course, or own any DG-related equipment so there's a logical fail. That's exactly what I said. If I didn't enjoy big tourneys I wouldn't play them. So far I've loved playing in sanctioned events.

Secondly - how does a governing body/sport league ruin the entire concept of a sport by enforcing rules meant to govern its (and nobody elses) own league? In order for a tournament to be PDGA sanctioned you have to apply for it, so there goes your whole argument...the PDGA has no power except over its members and leagues which are completely voluntary to join/participate in. And at the same time, they are elcted by <ahem> PDGA members under the pretense of looking out for their interests. You make it sound like a dictatorship. And again, I never said the PDGA dictated casual play. Did you read what I said at all?

...just a mind-blowingly illogical argument. Stop trying to export the "I hate the smoking ban" platform to other threads. That thread got locked for a reason. I mentioned smoking as one of many possible reasons the round would be less enjoyable to players. Stop zeroing in on smoking and attacking me every time it gets mentioned. That thread was pretty long with many people agreeing with both sides. And yet every time I posted, there you were calling me ignorant and an idiot.

For someone who's not even a PDGA member to repeatedly attack anything I say regarding PDGA policy is pretty funny. Having my rebuttle deleted stinks.

I am wholly excited to be playing in the Worlds, and proud as heck to be a PDGA member. The fact that my post agrees with many others here didn't lead me to believe that I would get somebody so riled up.

I'll see <some of> you all at the Worlds. I'll be the guy with the Nicorette juice running down his chin!!:gross:

We will call it just disc. I want to keep the golf part. I love referring to the game as dg.

I just wish it rolled off the tougue better. It always sounds like I'm saying "diskolf".

"What are you doing this weekend?"

"Playing diskolf."

"Huh?"

"Playing disc....golf."

"Huh?"

"Playing frisbee golf."

:wall:

Don't trust anyone whos been playing for over 30 years. They don't know ****. They must be senile or something. They just get on the internet and post bull**** that they make up just to get a rise out of the noobs. Let the people that have been playing for a year or less tell us whats best for our sport, they seem to know the most about it. They sometimes talk about the history of ball golf, but I hear little talk of the history of disc golf.

No one ever said that ball golf hates us. I don't hate ball golf.

If your just trying to get a rise out of me, it won't work. I'm laughing right now.

If I get an infraction or ban, I don"t care either. If this site is just going to turn into a bunch of pissy noobs, who care more about the history of another sport , than thier supposed own, so be it.

Here is my biggest complaint...I am a REC player, but have no NASCAR sponsorships! I want discs with 87 logos on them and I wanna play in the Poop Your Pants Open sponsored by DEPENDS!

I want these things because I'm mediocre enough, I'm kinda smart and at least two people like me.

Is this so wrong?!? Huh?!? TELL ME!!!

Here is my biggest complaint...I am a REC player, but have no NASCAR sponsorships! I want discs with 87 logos on them and I wanna play in the Poop Your Pants Open sponsored by DEPENDS!

I want these things because I'm mediocre enough, I'm kinda smart and at least two people like me.

This thread needs more levity. Are you one of those old farts?

Here is where the Pickle hits the Ball...if you see a ball golfer, be nice. He could be your next sponsor...or boss.

Invite everyone you see to play DG like I do...everyone needs a person to play with and trade with and to fetch discs for you.

Think of it as a DG Pyramid Scheme...or DGP...if you will. The top players get the money and free discs and hot women and cars named after exotic animals.

We want money and free discs. How do we do that? I dunno. Please tell me.

Don't trust anyone whos been playing for over 30 years. They don't know ****. They must be senile or something. They just get on the internet and post bull**** that they make up just to get a rise out of the noobs. Let the people that have been playing for a year or less tell us whats best for our sport, they seem to know the most about it. They sometimes talk about the history of ball golf, but I hear little talk of the history of disc golf.

No one ever said that ball golf hates us. I don't hate ball golf.

If your just trying to get a rise out of me, it won't work. I'm laughing right now.

If I get an infraction or ban, I don"t care either. If this site is just going to turn into a bunch of pissy noobs, who care more about the history of another sport , than thier supposed own, so be it.

Again, I'm proud of the PDGA and what it has become. For someone with limited time in the sport, my town is buried in DG history. I've played rounds with Jim Palmeri (#23) and Doug Corea (#304), both of which will be glad to talk about the growth and change in the sport. We have plenty of you senile bastards running around here! Lol!!

As for the comparisons to golf, of course they're valid. Both the good and the bad. While I may have seen some dgers partaking in an unmentionable offense on the course, I have also seen some heinous drunken golf cart antics from our ball fondling brothers.

I'm sorry if using a forum to disagree with a few minor changes to the sport gets you irked enough to call me a "pissy noob".:thmbdown:

After reviewing the USA Pickleball web site, I see no threat there. IMO Pickleball looks like badminton for short, non-athletic people. They should just man-up, raise their net, and hit a birdie.
I thought Pickleball looks like Ping Pong for tiny people that have to stand on top of the table. :\

Bah what do you guys know, you've been playing less than 5 years, you don't know anything about disc golf. Only people that have been playing multiple decades can speak on the matter because they are the only ones that know anything about disc golf.

I really, REALLY hope this post is a joke. To put a minimum on my playing time and to say that I don't really know sh*t because I haven't been playing at least 5 years is ignorant.

I can vouch that chiefstang is not a 'pissy' nooby. He guided me on a round in Rochester, and was in a good mood the whole time. Even while sinking to his knees in mud on a few holes. And I don't think he gassed me with cigarette smoke once. He may have tried, but I can be pretty quick on my feet.

His only down side is that he's not that smart!!! He's a Chief's fan moving to Denver. I kinda worry about his future health and safety. Hopefully somebody there will look after him.

LMAO!!

Invite everyone you see to play DG like I do...everyone needs a person to play with and trade with and to fetch discs for you.

Guilty. My few remaining non-dg friends are pretty sick of me trying to drag them out on the course! I say few remaining, not because I've converted them all, but because I rarely see any of the ones that don't come out and play.

Last edited:
I can vouch that chiefstang is not a 'pissy' nooby. He guided me on a round in Rochester, and was in a good mood the whole time. Even while sinking to his knees in mud on a few holes. And I don't think he gassed me with cigarette smoke once. He may have tried, but I can be pretty quick on my feet.

His only down side is that he's not that smart!!! He's a Chief's fan moving to Denver. I kinda worry about his future health and safety. Hopefully somebody there will look after him.

Well, your name IS sloppydisc. I wanted to take you to the muddiest course around! That course did end up getting pulled from the Worlds, except for the Finals being played on a temporary setup near the pond. That could be pretty awesome!

ITT: Anger...and lots of it.

My thoughts exactly.

I find it funny that folks view golf vs disc golf as some kind of cage fight, where two enter and only one leaves. God forbid that both sports exist for us to all enjoy. We must take sides!!!

Stupid.