• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf does not need "golf"

I am getting SICK of Hockey Players looking down on Disc Golf because we don't wear pads, hit Discs with a stick and have masks...Freaking Sportists (A Sports related Racist)

Next time I see Wayne Gretzky, I am pegging him with a AVENGER SS...Because I demand REVENGE.

I play hockey, and I play disc golf. Both games have their own challenges, while hockey is definitely more of a physically demanding game. Disc golf is mentally challenging, while still certaining maintaining a physical aspect.

Fellow disc golfers, no need to feel any jealousy or animosity or whatever toward our brethren, ball golfers. We're the new kids on the block and we'll have our day in the sun some day (tv, olympics, the whole 9 yards). How long was golf around before it became really popular? Til then I'm just gonna have a blast playing this game and enjoying the relative obscurity of it. And by the way, let's not bash the humble frisbee! Guess what, if it wasn't for the Frisbee, there would be no disc golf! I don't like the term frolf anymore than most disc golfers, but u know what, TRY to have a sense of humor about the whole thing...

Make sure to watch through to the bloopers at the end!

To the OP . . . this is something I never thought of before but it makes total sense. How many sports modelled after original sports are there and how are they doing . . .

What can we come up with?

Golf has disc golf like . . .

Skiing has snowboarding or water skiing
Football has arena football
Tennis has Table Tennis
etc etc etc

Maybe we need a new name . . . Maybe Frolf is the right term (probably not) maybe something completely new.

We should try to be more like traditional golf, not less. I'm glad to see the top disc golf designers are moving towards traditional golf design concepts- par 3s, 4s and 5s, risk/reward, bunkers and hazards. Hopefully someday we can find ways to make disc golf putting half as interesting as traditional golf.

Fellow disc golfers, no need to feel any jealousy or animosity or whatever toward our brethren, ball golfers. We're the new kids on the block and we'll have our day in the sun some day (tv, olympics, the whole 9 yards). How long was golf around before it became really popular?

Golf is said to be originated in the early 14th century. It took about 50 years for golf to become so popular in Scotland that it was banned because the King could not get men ready for battle. It took about 100 years for the sport to become just as popular in England. All of this was before golf became we game we know today; then it was basically people hitting pebbles with sticks.

The modern version of golf came to be in the early 18th century and in 1744 the modern rules of golf were wrote down and a group of men formed the first club for gentlemen.

It wasn't until 1900 that golf was an event at the olympics and the only other olympics where golf was an event was the 1904 games. So basically it took 200 years for the modern game of golf to get in to the olympics and even then it didn't last. Golf is being introduced back in to the olympics in 2016 thanks almost completely to Tiger Woods.

From what I've read the origins of disc golf go back to the 1920's and the first recorded events were in the late 1960's or early 70's. So based on that we should see widespread popularity sometime around 2070 and golf will become an olympic sport in 2120 or when a black guy with a cat name takes over the game.

Guys, guys, guys. We can't let our precious game be severed along these pedantic lines. We must be united lest we are overcome by competing fringe sports like Pickleball:

121108_pickleball3_t_w300_h600.jpg

I'm afraid I don't know what pickleball is and I'm equally afraid to run a search query on it.

Oh...that. They've had courts in Venice Beach for, at least, 20 years.

The modern version of golf came to be in the early 18th century and in 1744 the modern rules of golf were wrote written down and a group of men formed the first club for gentlemen.

This is where you're wrong.

Just kidding, but the grammar Nazi in me couldn't resist.

As an aside, here's a thought experiment. What if the game of (ball) golf never existed, but otherwise history remained the same? Would disc golf still exist? What would it be called? How would the rules be different than they are in our present reality?

When at any time was disc golf "dependent" on any other sport? What would "going our separate ways" even be supposed to do or look like? :confused:

I think the OP was referring to how the PDGA at times dictates what we should do based on PGA standards. Example: It was talk of making our baskets smaller, because in ball golf, you cant hit putts like that, so why can we?

I think hes basically saying that when debating rules and what not for our sport, an argument should never start with "Well, in ball golf they...".

This is where you're wrong.

Just kidding, but the grammar Nazi in me couldn't resist.

As an aside, here's a thought experiment. What if the game of (ball) golf never existed, but otherwise history remained the same? Would disc golf still exist? What would it be called? How would the rules be different than they are in our present reality?

Great thought.

Can we just drop the whole "maybe our sport needs a new name" thing. Yeah disc golf has the word golf in it. Get over it! You don't have to like our direct descendence from ball golf, but you can't deny it. It is what it is. Even if we started calling disc golf "discing" or something else just as ridiculous, how would you describe it if someone with no idea of what it was asked how to play. "Well, it's kinda like golf......" Exactly!

No threat

It's the latest craze among seniors and a threat to our fringe sport supremacy.

At least the PDGA have a better looking website. http://www.usapa.org/

After reviewing the USA Pickleball web site, I see no threat there. IMO Pickleball looks like badminton for short, non-athletic people. They should just man-up, raise their net, and hit a birdie.

Golf is said to be originated in the early 14th century. It took about 50 years for golf to become so popular in Scotland that it was banned because the King could not get men ready for battle. It took about 100 years for the sport to become just as popular in England. All of this was before golf became we game we know today; then it was basically people hitting pebbles with sticks.

The modern version of golf came to be in the early 18th century and in 1744 the modern rules of golf were wrote down and a group of men formed the first club for gentlemen.

It wasn't until 1900 that golf was an event at the olympics and the only other olympics where golf was an event was the 1904 games. So basically it took 200 years for the modern game of golf to get in to the olympics and even then it didn't last. Golf is being introduced back in to the olympics in 2016 thanks almost completely to Tiger Woods.

From what I've read the origins of disc golf go back to the 1920's and the first recorded events were in the late 1960's or early 70's. So based on that we should see widespread popularity sometime around 2070 and golf will become an olympic sport in 2120 or when a black guy with a cat name takes over the game.

That's a nice little write-up, thanks for that! What I hear is that we got time before DG hits it 'big', so til then, everyone should chillax a bit. In general, good ideas have a way of sticking around and developing organically, and I'd include disc golf in that category. As far as the respect thing, all I know is that it's really really fun to play, and that's good enough for me! Viva disc golf!

Latest posts