• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Pet Peeves -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its been about 5 months since I put her down, and I still tear up if I think about it. I have tried to get a few other dogs, but its not the same. Its going to be a while before I get another dog. At least a year or so.

Throwing common courtesy and golf etiquette aside

1. CELL PHONES: esp. tippy typing texts all round and the freakin' alert sounds in my skull and now I can't get them out, unless I blow 'em out...wit' a bullet.

2. NEGATIVITY: Temper tantrum hissy fits, esp. after missing really long putts you ain't supposed to make every time. Saying something about how awful your throw was while I'm teeing off. I need positive vibes!

3. PUTTING: Crowding the basket, or not asking to clear out your miss out of turn, being thoughtless and selfish with your extra throws.

4. NOISE: Keys/change jangling every step, I saw a guy wearing keys on his belt loop and nearly lost my mind. Excessive talking while others are trying to concentrate on the teepad. Do we need someone to hold up QUIET signs like in pro ball golf? Shut the F&CK UP already

Random gripes

1. DEBAUCHERY: i.e. Cussing in front of little kids. We play in a park that a church built, now I am no holy roller but you gotta respect the environment you are in and not be talking about drugs and cussing like a moron with those kind of parents and kids out there within earshot.

2. THIEVERY: Snatching discs someone accidentally left behind and leaving the course early instead of asking the group right ahead of you if it's one of theirs when you KNOW it is. I've lost several discs in this fashion and it SUCKS. Esp. b/c you realize you left it like 2 holes later when you look in your bag, but by the time you go back the little bastards are pulling out of the parking lot b/c they wanted to hijack your custom dyed joint. Usually happened when I would throw 2 discs on one shot so I try not to anymore.

3. HYPOCRISY: Don't find yourself guilty of the things you were just talking mad smack about b/c I will call you out!

4. BLASPHEMY: The guy who can't have fun anymore because he takes the game too seriously now. IT'S A GAME. Chill your ass out, homeboy, and learn to have fun again. Beginner mindset, baby. Don't get pissed about hitting that first tree on a drive, get stoked about parking

5. EXAGGERATION: No I'm sorry the "wind" had ZERO to do with why your shot went askew. Try throwing a hyzer spike or go overstable, the wind is the same out here for everybody and I'm doing fine with it. Also you did not almost ace that throw, it was 40 feet over the basket, dudarino. And you did not park your shot, see how it is NOT a drop-in birdie?? Aww and then you missed the putt! Cue 'temper tantrum'.

6. SNOBS: Guess what? Your course is probably not the best one in existence! That's right, it was not mutually agreed upon by the Intergalactic Disc Golf Federation. Also, and I have said this MANY times..."Weed is the Gatorade of Disc Golf." Moving on...

Regarding noise, you wouldn't like me, I have a chain on my wallet, and a chain on my cell phone, so I jingle all the way down the fairway.

I jumped and tackled the dog before he got to her. He bite into my forearm and I spun him around and fell on him. Grabbed him under the chin and snapped his neck.

:eek::eek:

NEGATIVITY: Temper tantrum hissy fits, esp. after missing really long putts you ain't supposed to make every time. Saying something about how awful your throw was while I'm teeing off. I need positive vibes!

This really annoys me, especially during a casual round. I go as far as clapping my hands or maybe a grunt and headshake after a missed put, bad drive, etc. Maybe an under-the-breath "s**t" depending on who is around. :rolleyes:

But ya, so it was a really crappy shot. Get over it.

When I miss a short putt, I might let out a "Damn" or two, but its all in good fun.

I need to try and be less vocal when I feel I have not thrown well. I usually say somehting like "That was terrible! or Awful!" but make a point to never use profanity, though sometimes it's tempting.

I do think some people do need to relax and learn to concentrate better. I mean, jingling keys and idle chatter drive you nuts? Chill out... and learn to tune it out. If you can't, then maybe you need to invest in an IPod with some earbuds. Do birds chirping and passing traffic drive you crazy as well?

I have a friend that gets "disc golf Tourettes". That is what we, including him, call it. He has three kids and is respectful in not letting others hear it. We all laugh about it. Like Midnight said, its all in good fun. He's actually just laughing at himself and having fun. Its pretty funny.

your statement is kinda off ..
in reference to the dog thing it would be more like....
if i were to have my gun on me and u wanted to attack me cause u knew that i had it ..and the possibilities of an attack .... even tho it was at my waist and safety on ..

I'm not talking about attacking you. I'm talking about being afraid. Some people are araid of dogs, for whatever reason. They may have been attacked by one that looks JUST like yours, or not.
If someone in a group is playing behind you, who has a fear of dogs, and asks you to leash it, are you going to be an ass and say "No, I don't care if he scares the crap out of you, he won't bite, and he listens"?
Pretend, for just a minute, that you have a fear of being shot, though I'm sure you don't, cause yer tough.
I'm holding an unloaded gun, waving it around, pointing it here, there, at you. You ask me to put it down, and I say "No, it's not loaded, I'll point this wherever I want"

On top of that, we're not talking about YOU and YOUR DOG. We're talking about PEOPLE and THEIR dogs. You're dog might be amazingly trained, I don't know. (Don't really care) I've been on the course, with well trained dogs off-leash. I've also been on the course with dogs that didn't even slow down when the owners called for it to stop and come back. Sure, all the dog did was come up to sniff me and lick my hand. But then again, I love dogs, and can tell when one is or isn't being aggresive. What if I had been a young child? 80 lbs dog trotting up to me might scare the bejesus out of me, cause me to run, which might cause the dog to chase me (because that's what some dogs do...they chase things.) and even bite me.

It's not a matter of how awesome your dog is, how much you love it, and how well it listens to you. Its about respecting others enough to leash it if asked. Or just have it sit at your side, and place your hand on its collar when another group comes up, until you know they're okay with dogs.

Y'know what? I'll bet you the Cesar Milan doesn't go around with his dogs off leash where there are leash laws and says "I'm the Dog Whisperer. It's okay." When cop asks him why Bosco's not on a lead.

yea .. i have no problem with people who might have issues with dogs for whatever reason and completely respect it when/if someone asks me to get my dog .. No problem ... its just comments about stabbing a dog for running up to you .. or snapping a dogs neck that really bothers me and that's when i put My mean face on :p but of course i have enough respect for anyone's personal space and interest to help them out in making them feal more comfortable for the time being .. im not some ignorant bully ...lol

* sry for acting like a tough guy * but sometimes i am :cool: Lol ~

Last edited:
not one of my pet peeves but it was that of someone I played with. The guy would take insanely weird stances on most of his midrange/upshots. But they werent the same stance every time. so basically sometimes he would be throwing backhand but would be looking in the opposite direction of where he's throwing. He would then b itch at us for being in his line of sight. So I would stand more to the side of him after that. But then other shots he would look in that direction instead of backwards, so then he'd get pissed at us for being in his line of sight then as well. So long story short after the round me and the guy got in a little argument (nothing major). But my question for the DGCR masses is this... am I in the wrong, or is he?

That's very funny, almost sounds like a SNL skit.

not one of my pet peeves but it was that of someone I played with. The guy would take insanely weird stances on most of his midrange/upshots. But they werent the same stance every time. so basically sometimes he would be throwing backhand but would be looking in the opposite direction of where he's throwing. He would then b itch at us for being in his line of sight. So I would stand more to the side of him after that. But then other shots he would look in that direction instead of backwards, so then he'd get pissed at us for being in his line of sight then as well. So long story short after the round me and the guy got in a little argument (nothing major). But my question for the DGCR masses is this... am I in the wrong, or is he?

I wonder who the hell's playing with that guy..?

Besides the obvious, graffiti, littering, obnoxious alcoholics; the thing that ticks me off the most is the morons that bounce all over the course, throwing discs... wherever. Kids just walk up to a tee, who cares if it's the next one, and throws at some random basket. Or finishes 14 and decides to go play 3. Flippin dopes.

I'm not talking about attacking you. I'm talking about being afraid. Some people are araid of dogs, for whatever reason. They may have been attacked by one that looks JUST like yours, or not.
If someone in a group is playing behind you, who has a fear of dogs, and asks you to leash it, are you going to be an ass and say "No, I don't care if he scares the crap out of you, he won't bite, and he listens"?
Pretend, for just a minute, that you have a fear of being shot, though I'm sure you don't, cause yer tough.
I'm holding an unloaded gun, waving it around, pointing it here, there, at you. You ask me to put it down, and I say "No, it's not loaded, I'll point this wherever I want"

On top of that, we're not talking about YOU and YOUR DOG. We're talking about PEOPLE and THEIR dogs. You're dog might be amazingly trained, I don't know. (Don't really care) I've been on the course, with well trained dogs off-leash. I've also been on the course with dogs that didn't even slow down when the owners called for it to stop and come back. Sure, all the dog did was come up to sniff me and lick my hand. But then again, I love dogs, and can tell when one is or isn't being aggresive. What if I had been a young child? 80 lbs dog trotting up to me might scare the bejesus out of me, cause me to run, which might cause the dog to chase me (because that's what some dogs do...they chase things.) and even bite me.

It's not a matter of how awesome your dog is, how much you love it, and how well it listens to you. Its about respecting others enough to leash it if asked. Or just have it sit at your side, and place your hand on its collar when another group comes up, until you know they're okay with dogs.

Y'know what? I'll bet you the Cesar Milan doesn't go around with his dogs off leash where there are leash laws and says "I'm the Dog Whisperer. It's okay." When cop asks him why Bosco's not on a lead.

Outstanding post, Couldn't of said it better. :)

^^ seconded, very well said LoPan12

I see a guy with a Pit that wanders around, nice dog, but until you actually know the dog, it's still a Pit Bull.
I think there should be more leashing and less excuse making. There are always exceptions to the rules, but the rules are there for a reason.

On the subject of dogs, I'm a dog owner and often bring mine to the course. She's not perfectly trained, but she'll come when I call and she's never been aggressive. I like to go early in the morning or late in the evening when the course is empty and let her run a little off leash. If there are other people using the course though, I keep her leashed to my bag. Even though I know she won't hurt anyone, it's just common courtesy not to put other people in the situation of having to worry about a strange dog coming up to them.

Context dude. If a doberman comes after my kids, I'm sure as hell not giving it a Milkbone and rubbing it's belly

yea i commented in a earlier post about how i can understand if a dog is actually attacking ... esp a kid considering i can relate because i have a newborn on the way....

but that's if its actually happening ..

i had a dog come running full charge up to me yesterday when playing a round with FishMich for the first time .... and what did i do ? i put a hand on my bag that was sitting on my tripod to make sure i didn't knock it over .. although it did startle me because i didn't see it until the last second ...
the dog was on a leash and i seen it on a hole next to me .. but for some reason it got away from its owner and ran up to me.... i wonder how that guy woulda felt if i would have stabbed it like the one guy said hes gonna do now .. ??

instead i realized it wanted to play and sat and pet it for a while be4 i threw .. the guy apologised .. i said it was np and the day goes on ..

I was bit by a dog on the hand last year, and nipped on the leg by a roaming dog on the course. Let's just say I'm a little hesitant around dogs now. I remind myself that you can never be too careful around animals. No matter how well they are trained, they still have carnal instincts.

Last edited:
I really don't think you understand how this course is set up. Since you have never played my course or have seen it I am not going to argue with you about it over the internet. I am done explaining to you the situation here with you! Like I said before I will keep her on a leash at different parks but at my home course that the course is the only thing that is on this piece of land and nothing else it is different. Enough said on this subject until you come down here to Rolla, MO and play Lions Club Disc Golf Course and see what I have been talking about.

I stepped in dog **** yesterday. It was in an area where no one usually goes. We were playing with portable targets so we were not always strictly on the actual course. Far from it at times in fact. I wasn't happy. Your defence is weak. :thmbdown:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts