• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Pet Peeves -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Constant talkers especially when people are on the tee.
Large groups of beginners
Taking multiple shots when I'm waiting at the tee
Stupid people

I disagree with extreme anger bursts because I think it is hilarious to watch. I watch a guy kick and throw his bag during a tourney and I have never laughed so hard.
*people who when you beat fair and square don't give up their lower tag

I also hate when people will have a huge group and not let me and one other friend pass through, then on top of that they have bad shots, and then they throw 2 or 3 shots a piece. However i love when they flip out after a bad shot and throw stuff, completely amusing in my mind.

I have read a lot of pet peeves that I can relate to on this thread. That's why 95% of the time I play just after sunrise. I can usuallly play a full round if not two before anyone else shows up. I can relax and play the sport I love with no distractions. Disc Golf is meant to be fun but there will always be people who thrive on spoiling your day.

Mine is people that tear down limbs on trees because they couldn't make it around. I have seen it too often on a 9 hole course where I play.

I have read a lot of pet peeves that I can relate Disc Golf is meant to be fun but there will always be people who thrive on spoiling your day.

Dealt with this all day today its very frustrating and mentally draining:wall::wall:

The thing that bugs me the most are the alcoholics that can't make it through a round of Disc Golf with out a beer and leave their empties at the tee pads. Especially when there is a big sign at the entrance of the park "No Alcohol".

If your "Disease" gives you the energy to tote around beer on ice the least you can do is tote your trash out with you.

YES!!! x 1000 :hfive:

Dogs: Great pets, horrible disc golfers.

Not completely true, I once saw a guy and his unleashed dog and every time he threw the dog would run to the disc find it and stand by it. Wouldn't bite it or try and pick it up just find it, it was pretty sweet

I found a new one yesterday, there are bicycle trails all over HP's course and usually everyone is considerate. I was walking up to tee 4 and a cyclist was sitting on the fairway, we exchanged some "hello"s and "great day to be outside"s and then he just sat there. Reason why: 3 minutes later his buddies come down the hill, not on a trail. Then they stop and visit with him for another 5 minutes, they take off down the fairway and bonzai through the woods, close to the trails, but not actually on them. The pet peeve really wasn't that they were inconsiderate, or if you've seen my rant, that they were cyclists in full Lance Armstrong gear ;) . My issue was with them was the riding off trail, there are tons of trails in the area and sliding down the hills taking out what little vegetation has managed to hold on to the crappy soil was disturbing. Ok, so them sitting there acting like I didn't exist while I was waiting was a bit irritating, but as bad as my game was up to that point I needed the breather anyways.

Last edited:
Not completely true, I once saw a guy and his unleashed dog and every time he threw the dog would run to the disc find it and stand by it. Wouldn't bite it or try and pick it up just find it, it was pretty sweet

I've seen a dog like this in Denton, TX. She'd find a disc put her nose on it and sit, unless someone else was throwing then she'd go find the next one. Good trick to teach a dog, especially in long grass. Only dog I've seen do it. So out of all the dogs I've seen, maybe 3 should be on the course. That's being generous as I can't think of the other 2 off the top of my head.

I found a new one yesterday, there are bicycle trails all over HP's course and usually everyone is considerate. I was walking up to tee 4 and a cyclist was sitting on the fairway, we exchanged some "hello"s and "great day to be outside"s and then he just sat there. Reason why: 3 minutes later his buddies come down the hill, not on a trail. Then they stop and visit with him for another 5 minutes, they take off down the fairway and bonzai through the woods, close to the trails, but not actually on them. The pet peeve really wasn't that they were inconsiderate, or if you've seen my rant, that they were cyclists in full Lance Armstrong gear ;) . My issue was with them was the riding off trail, there are tons of trails in the area and sliding down the hills taking out what little vegetation has managed to hold on to the crappy soil was disturbing. Ok, so them sitting there acting like I didn't exist while I was waiting was a bit irritating, but as bad as my game was up to that point I needed the breather anyways.

Wow this is a good one as it actually is meaningful, insightful and represents what DG is about!

funny too..

tnks fishy

I've seen a dog like this in Denton, TX. She'd find a disc put her nose on it and sit, unless someone else was throwing then she'd go find the next one. Good trick to teach a dog, especially in long grass. Only dog I've seen do it. So out of all the dogs I've seen, maybe 3 should be on the course. That's being generous as I can't think of the other 2 off the top of my head.

So why do you think other dogs should not be on the course?

My pet peeve...THE LIBERAL MEDIA! (Sarcasm) but seriously...This is from the local newspaper, earlier in the week they ran an article in the front page of the local section proclaiming that "Disc Golf is destroying Leverich Park" it ran print only, but online it was in there "Cheers and Jeers" section.

"Jeers: To trampling of plants and erosion of stream banks at Vancouver's Leverich Park. Some blame the popular disc golf course for the damage — after an errant shot, the golfers have to wade into the bushes to retrieve their discs. Others lay the blame on people who let their dogs run off-leash and even wildlife such as beavers and nutria living along Burnt Bridge Creek. At any rate, more care needs to be taken so the parks can be enjoyed by all."

Not that bad, but I can assure you the original article was attacking disc golfers much more blatantly. Portraying us as careless individuals who show little respect to other park users. One neighbor going as far as saying "Disc golfers pose a danger to not only the environment and the park, but park patrons and neighbors" and that currently the park isn't "Safe for anyone"

Yes. This course is very crowded and they never anticipated the sport's popularity would grow so fast. However I've lived near this park nearly my entire life and before the DGC was built no one visited this park.

It was a dump, needles in the restrooms and covered picnic areas. Human feces littered the bike paths. The 30-40 homeless that lived in the park had even gone as far as setting up a shantytown in the woods behind what is now hole 4.

Crime was an everyday occurrence. Drugs and theft the most frequent. Multiple people had been assaulted sexually or physically in the park. Someone was even murdered at some nearby apartments and the body was dropped in a dumpster at the park where it wasn't found for over two weeks.

This was by no means a safe, clean, or happy place.

Then a few years ago the DGC comes. Almost overnight the homeless population dwindled from 30-40 to a "dedicated" half dozen or so that are forced to rebuild their shelters weekly as us disc golfers tear down anything we see resembling a shelter.

Inherently with eyes in every corner of the park crime in the area substantially dropped too. Instead of drug dealers and tweakers we just have stoners(harmless compared to the meth and heroin users that used to hangout here) and beer drinking fratboys (lesser of two evils IMO).

The city has apparently taken the damage to the area very seriously going as far as dispatching a "task force" this to assess the damage and determine the the immediate future of the course.

Maybe I'm just being pessimistic but I don't think this bodes well for the course and while I doubt it will be entirely removed, I anticipate it the course as it was designed and as it is now doesn't have much longer.

/rant

Wow didn't realize what a wall of text that was...Sorry guys. Just pretty passionate about the topic...

Wow didn't realize what a wall of text that was...Sorry guys. Just pretty passionate about the topic...

Don't be sorry, your post was spot on. I've seen disc golf help tramsform parks before. It sounds like you need more courses in the area.

So why do you think other dogs should not be on the course?

distractions? fear of attack? feces? the list goes on!

A better question is; Why do you think your dog SHOULD be on the course? I can name 30 different reasons as to why your dog should be left at home, but can you tell me one GOOD reason why you need the dog there while playing the sport? Does he give you disc selection tips? Can he judge distances effectively? Does he carry your discs? I don't ever recall seeing Phil Mickelson walking down a fairway with his dog following him. If its companionship you are seeking, there are many walking trails and dog parks around designed specifically for pets and owners, however the discgolf courses were designed specifically for disc golfers.

I'm not a big fan of dogs on the course either. Its not a problem down here as dogs are banned from parks, except designated "poop parks".

distractions? fear of attack? feces? the list goes on!

A better question is; Why do you think your dog SHOULD be on the course? I can name 30 different reasons as to why your dog should be left at home, but can you tell me one GOOD reason why you need the dog there while playing the sport? Does he give you disc selection tips? Can he judge distances effectively? Does he carry your discs? I don't ever recall seeing Phil Mickelson walking down a fairway with his dog following him. If its companionship you are seeking, there are many walking trails and dog parks around designed specifically for pets and owners, however the discgolf courses were designed specifically for disc golfers.

Lets see first off I agree that if a dog is non responsive and does not obey the owner then the dog does not need to be there.

My dog a trained bomb detection black lab doesn't have that problem. I pick up after her if she does go. She gets the exercise that she needs when I get out there. One GOOD reason is that why not kill two birds with two stones.

I can also refute everyone of your reasons why she shouldn't be there and so can a lot of other people that bring their dogs. First one...the so called distractions having them will make you a better player. I pick up her crap. O did I mention she is a trained bomb detection dog which means she listens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts