• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Planet dot Tv

EL-KABONG

* Ace Member *
That new format is awful. They are getting shelled for it on their fb page by angry Lifetime Members.

I tried to keep an open mind but was hoping for a highlight heavy wrap up.

The Crazy John coffee hour ain't cutting it.

I could barely find any video of the event in the first one.
And even that was just 5 to 15 players driving the same hole over and over.

As a lifetime member, I'm pretty disappointed. :|

But, money doesn't grow on trees. They are doing what they can, with what they've got.

Any assumption that what they're doing this weekend is some indication of how they'll do coverage going forward is just wrong. It's an experiment, and they've been entirely upfront about that fact.

I think they had access to a full fledged television studio and decided to take advantage of it and see what happens. They aren't going to have that kind of access in Finland for the European Open or at Lemon Lake for the Worlds. They'll probably go back to something a bit more familiar and live for those events. And of course, the people that want to bitch will find something else to bitch about.

I think people forget sometimes that these guys aren't full time professional broadcasters. They're running on a shoestring budget broadcasting on the internet a few times a year. Even though they've been doing it for a couple years now, it's still really in its infancy. There are going to be kinks along the way. There are going to be failed experiments along the way.

Frankly, I think it's a little disturbing how uppity some of these "lifetime" members (I'm one too) are getting about the shows this weekend. Like their one-time $25 contribution is supposed to entitle them to ESPN-level quality of coverage at all times, or the totality of all the lifetime members contributions is supposed to give the DGP guys an unlimited budget to work from. Some people need a little perspective. Four or five years ago, the only live coverage we could get of an event was to watch dots on a cartoon graphic. The fact that there is anything to watch, whether it's live action or a live highlight show each night of an event, is a big step in the right direction. That they've gotten something on TV, even if it is a half-hour on a small cable network four times a year, is a step in the right direction.

I disagree that they're doing the best they can, if they are going to do a post round show they could go more down the route of filming rounds and just playing it back. I haven't seen the new show but from what I understand it's mostly just those eggheads talking and not much footage.

I do understand that it is expensive to do. And I appreciate what they have done.
But the new format isn't going to help them at all imo.

Any assumption that what they're doing this weekend is some indication of how they'll do coverage going forward is just wrong. It's an experiment, and they've been entirely upfront about that fact.

I think they had access to a full fledged television studio and decided to take advantage of it and see what happens. They aren't going to have that kind of access in Finland for the European Open or at Lemon Lake for the Worlds. They'll probably go back to something a bit more familiar and live for those events. And of course, the people that want to bitch will find something else to bitch about.

I think people forget sometimes that these guys aren't full time professional broadcasters. They're running on a shoestring budget broadcasting on the internet a few times a year. Even though they've been doing it for a couple years now, it's still really in its infancy. There are going to be kinks along the way. There are going to be failed experiments along the way.

Frankly, I think it's a little disturbing how uppity some of these "lifetime" members (I'm one too) are getting about the shows this weekend. Like their one-time $25 contribution is supposed to entitle them to ESPN-level quality of coverage at all times, or the totality of all the lifetime members contributions is supposed to give the DGP guys an unlimited budget to work from. Some people need a little perspective. Four or five years ago, the only live coverage we could get of an event was to watch dots on a cartoon graphic. The fact that there is anything to watch, whether it's live action or a live highlight show each night of an event, is a big step in the right direction. That they've gotten something on TV, even if it is a half-hour on a small cable network four times a year, is a step in the right direction.

I think you are confused. There is no disc golf. I'm sure everyone would be fine if they at least kept on doing what they have been doing: filming live disc golf. It's never been great but at least it was something.

I completely understand lifetime members disappointment in the change. Dgptv's whole selling point is live coverage. "Your only portal for live disc golf, anywhere"

Any expectations they have with regard to dgptv were established by dgptv.

I saw on the FB page someone said they seem to be focusing on a "half hour segment for the Beach Sports Network." What's that about? Are they trying to put together a half hour show from the KCWO footage, or is it something else that is just taking up their resources right now?

I can see the value in having a recap show with highlights, and this could be a necessary stepping stone to be able to provide both the live stream and then the highlight show afterwards, but IDK for sure.

I think you are confused. There is no disc golf. I'm sure everyone would be fine if they at least kept on doing what they have been doing: filming live disc golf. It's never been great but at least it was something.

So this weekend is different from the last however many weekends since the Collegiate Championships?

Yeah, they tried something different this weekend. It apparently isn't too popular. Oh well. Next tournament they'll get back to what they've done before, I'm sure.

I'm not saying people shouldn't be disappointed that they don't get to watch live disc golf this weekend. I'm disappointed too. But I think the level of anger over it (not necessarily in this thread, but certainly on some of the facebook threads and the chat boards that accompany the videos) is a bit out of line.

Of course, there always seems to be disproportionate levels of anger over some aspect(s) of every broadcast they've ever done, so maybe I shouldn't be so surprised by the reactions this weekend. I think what I said about the uppity attitude of some folks holds not just over the KCWO coverage, but for every broadcast they've done. Perspective is something that seems to be lacking.

Is anyone else having trouble signing on? I haven't signed on since the Memorial, and the site is telling me I don't have an account.

Is anyone else having trouble signing on? I haven't signed on since the Memorial, and the site is telling me I don't have an account.

Where are you trying to log in? There is a log-in option on the discgolfplanet.tv site, but I don't think that actually gets you access to anything (might just be admin log-in). There's also a log-in on the livestream page where the videos are (for access to posting in the chats). They are most definitely two separate log-ins, so perhaps you are trying to log into one when you mean to log into the other?

I would rather they shorten the broadcast but show live play then this new format. If that means waiting till the lead card tees off before they start the broadcast I would be ok with that. I didn't complain about the choppy coverage and or dropouts in the signal in the early years because at least some one was trying. This style of broadcasting is a pass for me.

I guess I'm just satisfied seeing some discgolf, but I do see myself watching more YouTube than watching DGPTV.

They haven't aired any of the rest of the tournament live, what makes anyone think they'll just up and broadcast the final nine? They've done all their broadcasting from a studio away from the courses, so maybe their remote equipment is unavailable? If I were to guess, they either did not have the right set-up to do live coverage this weekend or they don't have the manpower to pull it off. It takes fewer people to run a 30-45 minute studio show than it does to run a live broadcast on location.

Latest posts