• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Planet dot Tv

What was up when Crazy John said you never know what you are going to see on live tv and it cut to a commercial real quick? The whole broadcast was extremely weird and embarrassing to be honest.
The director cut back to John and the co-host futzing around when they thought full-screen video was being showed. You could even hear the producer saying "you're on air John" when they didn't notice it (note: you should NEVER be able to hear the producer talking to talent during a brodacast).

Instead of playing it off and rolling with it like most on-air talent... John made that weird comment and they they quickly put up a commercial.

Very amateur production/direction. I don't think they had any sort of script or rundown. And the limited scripting they had was so noticable because the teleprompter was below eye level. John was always looking down towards it. Not an ideal setup.

The only thing I thought to myself was that it didnt look like they had done any type of dry runs before this week. If you are going to change things up shouldnt you get everyone together a week or two before and go through some test runs. At least that way when the real thing happens you would have a better feel for tempo and delivery. They could have used video from one of their other tournaments to practice with and do some mock interviews.

If you were to cover every NT and the major A-tiers, that would be about 15 events a year.

I would wager you could get at least 1,000 dedicated subscribers, maybe more. But let's say 1,000

at $5 per person, per event, you could draw in $75,000 in revenue for the year. With travel, expenses, editing software and cameras, even a dedicated workstation, I would guess that you could gross over $30,000 if not much more.

Each event would take about a week to edit and upload. preferrably coverage of a feature group of each round and the finals, if applicable.

I could definitely see that model working, at least on paper. The first event might have to be bought in advance just for proof of concept and start up money.

Well if your going to break it down like that I would be in. Heck if the coverage was good and had proper flow and the sound always synced up I would be willing to treat it like NFL ticket and pay up front at the begining of the season.

I just watched the final 9 coverage of kcwo and it was tough to watch. They kept cutting to the same slow cut scenes and you didn't even get to see half of the players shots. That's the whole point of the coverage is to see the action! Not to mention the announcers didn't seem to know whats going on. :\

Well if your going to break it down like that I would be in. Heck if the coverage was good and had proper flow and the sound always synced up I would be willing to treat it like NFL ticket and pay up front at the begining of the season.

with Worlds and USDGC, just with 1,000 subscribers you could draw $100,000 revenue. That would only go up with additional subscribers with NO added fixed or variable costs.

And yeah, if I could PPV for the first couple events and get quality coverage, I would be willing to pay up front as well. I know I don't speak for the majority of disc golfers who expect ESPN quality coverage for free

I've just about sold myself on this, lol. If only I was a skilled videographer with a proven YouTube channel and cult following...

with Worlds and USDGC, just with 1,000 subscribers you could draw $100,000 revenue.
I think you are being VERY optimistic about how many people are actually willing to put their money down on unproven content. Especially when it has a $100 price tag.

I dont expect ESPN quality when it comes to discgolf coverage. I was excited to just have a chance to watch some of the events live instead of buying a DVD. I figure that broadcasters like ESPN have had alot of time and money to perfect thier craft. So its going to take time for Disc Golf Planet as well. Hopefully they stick with it and come up with a formula that works.

I think you are being VERY optimistic about how many people are actually willing to put their money down on unproven content. Especially when it has a $100 price tag.

Well that's the beauty, you don't have to count on the same 1,000 subscribers each event. You would have a base that would buy them all and then different users buying some or one of the events.

You could pay your $5 and be able to stream every round from that event on the internet with your login. All the events would be archived so that even if you skipped 5 events, you could go back and watch the 2013 KCWO if you purchased it. No having to depend on live connection, it would be YouTube except not on YouTube, unless you can work out a private channel or something.

This tournament was a massive failure from a multimedia standpoint, and I didn't see anyone following cards with cameras like you might see at Dela or some of the other major tournaments. Hopefully over the next 2 years, they can gain enough experience to put together quality live coverage. If anyone is familiar with the e-sports scene, they had similar issues when they first started up with sound, production, etc issues, but they have gotten their **** together over the last 4 years and now they put on 8-10 full HD streams for some events.

It is a little bit different for dg, since it requires following players. The whole beach sports show is probably the worst thing they can put their effort into. 1. the interest level for dg on TV is probably next to none, especially in the format they are presenting it in (3 months after the event, 22 min, little to no footage). 2. Not even on a major network, varies city to city if it is playing at all, plays at times when people are not around to watch

In short, KCWO13, I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe... Brinster 4-putting a par 4. I watched Nikko scoring an eagle after throwing a jackknife anhyzer around a mando-tree. All those... moments... will be lost in time, like tears... in... rain.

Last edited:
with Worlds and USDGC, just with 1,000 subscribers you could draw $100,000 revenue. That would only go up with additional subscribers with NO added fixed or variable costs.

And yeah, if I could PPV for the first couple events and get quality coverage, I would be willing to pay up front as well. I know I don't speak for the majority of disc golfers who expect ESPN quality coverage for free

I've just about sold myself on this, lol. If only I was a skilled videographer with a proven YouTube channel and cult following...

DGPtv hasn't done anything remotely worth $100.

If anyone is familiar with the e-sports scene, they had similar issues when they first started up with sound, production, etc issues, but they have gotten their **** together over the last 4 years and now they put on 8-10 full HD streams for some events.
I work in live production and have been following e-sports since the early 2000's. I've seen how they have grown from being at a place where disc golf currently is (little to no live coverage)... to where e-sports is now (multi-stream, 1080p, DVR, etc).

The e-sports scene has a couple major advantages that stand out right from the start.

1. the audience is young and tech savvy (relatively). they are used to having live content delivered over the internt. i'm not making generalizations, but i don't think the disc golf scene is as integrated with technology and the internet in general. e-sports fans definitely don't like to pay for their HD streams and I see the same thing happening with disc golfers.

2. the e-sports scene has managed to secure MAJOR sponsorships and capital from OUTSIDE the e-sports industry. Disc golf has a long way to go in that regards. I mean... are there any NT events with premiere sponsorship by a company that is outside of the DG industry?

Frankly, producing a multi-camera HD live stream costs tens of thousands of dollars (and that's going on the cheap). You could easily get over a hundred thousand when you think of the logistics that face a DG event when compared to a controlled environment like an e-sports tournament, where things still manage to go wrong all the time.

And none of this includes the costs for bandwidth... which quickly becomes one of the major budget concerns when your audience scales.

Last edited:
better http://new.livestream.com/accounts/457188/events/2155697

still not good...but better....

1. don't buy an optocopter and then never show it being used to film disc golf
2. don't pick your nose during a broadcast.
3. maybe have the disc on a stand so viewers can see it.
4. pick a show and try to follow how they do things. it doesn't work right now.

The e-sports scene has a couple major advantages that stand out right from the start.

1. the audience is young and tech savvy (relatively). they are used to having live content delivered over the internt. i'm not making generalizations, but i don't think the disc golf scene is as integrated with technology and the internet in general. e-sports fans definitely don't like to pay for their HD streams and I see the same thing happening with disc golfers.

2. the e-sports scene has managed to secure MAJOR sponsorships and capital from OUTSIDE the e-sports industry. Disc golf has a long way to go in that regards. I mean... are there any NT events with premiere sponsorship by a company that is outside of the DG industry?
QUOTE]

Not to mention millions of people play video games religiously.

Not to mention millions of people play video games religiously.
Sure. But only a VERY, VERY, VERY tiny fraction of those players even care about the "pro scene" let alone follow it enough to reguarly tune into events.

But, yes, the viewer base is so much larger from the start. Again, DG has a long way to go.

I think the best and most exemplary portion of the final segment is the badass ice cream truck riff while they interview current world champ and later kcwo winner, Paul Mcbeth.
I know it really isn't dgptv's fault that leaked in there....But it's stinkin' perfect.

Outside of Terry Roddy (who works for CBS sports coverage of the PGA Tour), there isn't a lot of experience there.

I see Terry a lot at my home course. He's a great guy and has a ton of passion for the game and DGPtv. I really feel bad for him sometimes.

I work in live production and have been following e-sports since the early 2000's. I've seen how they have grown from being at a place where disc golf currently is (little to no live coverage)... to where e-sports is now (multi-stream, 1080p, DVR, etc).

Frankly, producing a multi-camera HD live stream costs tens of thousands of dollars (and that's going on the cheap). You could easily get over a hundred thousand when you think of the logistics that face a DG event when compared to a controlled environment like an e-sports tournament, where things still manage to go wrong all the time.

And none of this includes the costs for bandwidth... which quickly becomes one of the major budget concerns when your audience scales.

That's why I think that the live broadcast is simply too much for DG right now. It's a cool idea, but the restrictions that live coverage places on them is reducing the quality of the product they're putting out.

Personally, the fact that the coverage is live is maybe #12 on my list of what I'm looking for in tournament coverage.

Look at what lcgm8 (user on youtube) puts out for free. He's filming with a single camera, and releasing the videos well after the tournament takes place. But it's a far better product. The production value makes it feel clean and professional. You're constantly kept up to speed with strokes and distance. Would it be cool if there was commentary and video of a commentator sitting at a booth? I guess so. But it's not all that important.

Look at what comedians like Louis C.K. or Joe Rogan are doing now. They're releasing their own 1-hour specials on their own website. You can paypal $5 or $10 or whatever and you're watching what you used to have to have HBO or have bought an actual DVD to see.

Here's the formula for a great DG tournament coverage video:

1) Stop filling 1/2 the video with highlights and near-aces from Amateur players. Film only the lead card, the last two rounds. Hell, just the final round with the lead card. Suddenly you don't need a dozen cameras, nor do you need to pay your guys for 3 days of coverage. 2 HD cameras, two guys.

2) Take a week to trim the footage, add in some graphics to show scores, the hole layout, distance to pin, etc.

3) Make it widely available. Release it online for a fee. Use a simple site layout. DGplanets site is horrible to navigate. I could care less about the history of your company, I don't want to see teasers or promos for the next big tournament. I want to be able to find the video I want and quickly.

So here's your cost breakdown.

Fixed startup costs:
2 HD cameras = $3000 or so
1 PC for editing = $2000 with software
Site build, hosting for a year & paypal usability = $2000
Total = $7000

Unfixed costs:
2 people's travel expenses = $1000 per tournament
2 people labor cost ($20/hr @ 10 hrs filming * 2 people) = $400
1 person's editing time ($20/hr @ 40 hours edit time) = $800
Total = $2200 per tournament covered

Cost per event covered:
1 tournament annually = $9200 per tournament
10 tournaments annually = $2900 per tournament
12 tournaments annually (one release per month) = $2780 per tournament

Say you release one video per month.
@ $4.99 per video download, you need 556 downloads to break even
@ $9.99 per video download, you need 278 downloads to break even

And when I say you're breaking even, you're still paying yourself and another guy $20 per hour for your labor. So it's not like you're doing it for free.

And that's without any commercials or sponsors of any type.

The Youtube user I mentioned before, lcgm8, pulled in 69,812 views for the final round of the Scandinavian Open. That's 1/251 views you'd need to break even @ 10 bucks per download.

DGPTV = M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E

Does anybody want to guess how much the PDGA pays DGPTV annually to cover disc golf??

Last edited: