• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Pro Tour

Our most recent blog post discusses the passionate concerns and comments, In Paragon We Truss.

---

Most courses, even the most difficult championship level courses, have a hole or two on which the top players in the world can card a pretty easy deuce. Using the Memorial as an example:

- Hole 8 at Fountain Hills: Birdied by 19 of the top 20 players
- Hole 3 at Vista del Camino: Birdied by 18 of the top 20 players
- Hole 10 at Fiesta: Birdied by 17 of the top 20 players

For the top players in the world, these holes offer very little challenge and very little chance of scoring separation. For the best players, playing the Pro Tour, designed to thrill and engage spectators, we want more challenge, more separation, and more excitement.

The PuttTruss is a solid structure. It is square, with rounded corners. It is 6' tall with 1' sides. Two will be placed on one green at each Pro Tour event, typically 16 to 32 feet from the pin. In general, the hole would be a shorter par 3 that can be aced. This hole type offers two advantages.

First, it allows the TD and the Pro Tour to further define the ideal shot on the hole. Put them to the left of the pin and discourage an overstable RHBH throw with a hard fade. Put them behind the pin and discourage over shooting the pin. Flank the pin front and back and encourage attacking the pin from the sides. Wherever they go, they add a level of thought for the Pro Tour players.

Second, these holes are aceable. Disc golf aces have a propensity to find their way on ESPN. If we can give a sponsor some real estate on a disc golf shot that gets onto ESPN, the value of the PuttTruss has just been increased. This encourages us to manage to have an extra camera on that hole during the tourney, increasing the likelihood of catching an ace, getting more disc golf on ESPN, making the mainstream aware of the Pro Tour, and getting some extra exposure for one of our Tour Partners.

Over the past couple days, there has been some wonderful, passionate, constructive feedback regarding the PuttTruss. We will address several of these comments below. As always, we welcome all feedback. It makes us better. The more people we have improving our product, the better our product will be, and the more people will watch. Everyone commenting cares about the Pro Tour and wants to see us succeed. While discussing this and every Pro Tour topic, bear in mind that we are all rowing in the same direction and should always be respectful.

It is unfair because it is a flag.

The PuttTruss is a truss. It is not a flag. We agree that a flag on a green would be awful due to the inconsistency that it would provide, sometimes blocking a putt, sometimes not. A truss is a solid structure that will not move. It is exactly like a 6' tree stump, except it is square.

It is unattractive.

We will agree that the images below are difficult to truly picture, causing some to believe that it is unattractive. However, we will simply ask that you trust that we would never add an element to the Pro Tour that detracts from the aesthetic of the course. We agree that if an element is added to the course, it will need to be attractive and professionally done.

It is gimmicky.

It looks like mini golf.This is an interesting one. Is it a trick, a ploy, a stunt? Will it lead to windmills that players need to putt through? We will agree that it could be viewed as a step onto a slippery slope. However, we have no intention of going any further than defining the ideal shot that should be executed on a hole. For a course full of righty friendly hyzer shots, the PuttTruss can be setup in a way to encourage a different shot, balancing out the course. There are simply some holes that, for the top players in the game, could be more thoughtful. If we go further, please call us out. This step, in our opinion, is not gimmicky. It is not mini golf. It is adding an element of challenge to improve the challenge, separation, and watchability of a hole.

It is not fair to add an element that could knock a good shot OB.

There are a few thoughts put forward in this sentence. Fairness, changing the course, and knocking a good shot OB.

​Fairness, knocking a good shot OB – it is easy to argue that as long as everyone is playing the same course, then it is fair. However, that is not the point that is being made. The point being made is that an obstacle that is very close to the perfect line that can result in a two stroke swing (birdie to bogey) is inherently unfair. To this point, we agree. The PuttTruss in the image is (clearly) photoshopped and we agree that they appear to be quite close to the water. They will not be setup in a way that would cause a shot that hits them to roll OB. That would be unfair and is not the goal. Thank you for making this point so that we can be extra clear and have this reminder during the install. The first image is our original post. The second is a closer representation of how it will look.

9746182_orig.jpg

2390262_orig.jpg

Changing the course – It is routine for courses to change when the best players in the world come to town. In fact, few courses do not change for a premier disc golf event. Many courses add OB, lengthen holes, create mandos, and define new drop zones to make the course more challenging. We want to watch the top players in the world playing a course that we mere mortals couldn't even contemplate playing. As long as the course is changed in time for the players to know the course, in our opinion, the argument that "changing the course is bad" does not hold up.

Putting an object in the putting circle is bad course design.

First, we will agree that adding a bush or something not well defined to the green (or fairway landing zone) is bad design because it affects throws and lies inconsistently. Many people argue that disc golf should have no objects within 10 meters of the pin. This makes the putt, which is the most exciting part of ball golf, the least exciting part of disc golf. We were watching McBeth shred the first five holes at The Memorial in round 1 when his sixth drive landed 25 feet from the pin. Everyone's attention went away until tee 7 because the putt had no consequence.

With no obstacles on the green, putting is easy and boring (for the top players). Adding an element to the green will sometimes force players to straddle putt, to hyzer putt, to anhyzer putt, to lob putt up and over. There will be many more exciting putts and putting will become something worth watching. Otherwise, as these guys get better, we will only care about putts outside 40 feet as being worth watching. It is time to add an element of challenge to the green.

It is not natural.

​Correct. The sport utilizes, and will continue to utilize, rope, fences, walls, roads, sidewalks, triple mando trusses and more. If the argument is that all of these are bad, then we appreciate and salute the purist sentiment. However, we will disagree that things on the course have to be natural to be worthy of being on the course. The goal of good course design is to challenge the player to perform a shot and choose how they want to execute the shot. The PuttTruss, like a mando or OB sidewalk, helps define the type of shot that the designer would like to see executed. If design can be improved by adding an attractive, unnatural element, we say add it and challenge the players appropriately.

1354898_orig.jpg

2304241_orig.jpg

If you want to adjust the hole, plant a tree, or move the pin or tee.

While we agree with this sentiment 100%, the Pro Tour will be at numerous stops. While some added difficulty may be a good thing for the best players in the world, it is not necessarily a positive for the day to day players that visit the course year round. The PuttTruss allows us to make holes more difficult for the tournament without adjusting the hole permanently.

It is selling out.

We are looking to grow the sport by bringing in spectators and sponsors so that they best players in the world can concentrate on playing the game and thrilling us. Part of this requires that we give our partners a platform to put their names out there. Thank goodness a dozen great companies are willing to take this leap with us to make this happen. We ask you to check them out and support them with your business.

Ball golf would never do it.

We agree that ball golf would (probably) not put a billboard in a fairway or put a structure on the green. We do not agree that this is a valid reason to not do something. The most exciting element of ball golf is putting. Some tournaments have fast greens, some have slow greens. Some greens are mostly flat, some have tremendous fluctuations. Putting in ball golf is amazing because of the tremendous variety of putts (touch and read) that are needed. Disc golf needs excitement and challenge on the green.

Use smaller baskets.

Yes, another possible solution would be to shrink the target of the Pro Tour. While this may be a good solution for the top players, a big problem is the confusion this would cause with all of the current baskets on courses today. If the pros are playing on smaller baskets, many players will clamor that they too want to play on smaller baskets, causing amazing inconsistency amongst our courses as some switch sizes and some keep the current size. In our opinion, a better option is to make putting more challenging by adjusting the flight path of the putt by adding an obstacle or two to the green on the simplest holes on the Pro Tour courses.

The PuttTruss is a solid structure. It is square, with rounded corners. It is 6' tall with 1' sides. Two will be placed on one green at each Pro Tour event, typically 16 to 32 feet from the pin. In general, the hole would be a shorter par 3 that can be aced. This hole type offers two advantages.

I want to build one! Even though I only run a couple events each year, there's a few places we could spruce up with an element like this for events. Shoot we could even throw it in different places for weeklies.

Adding an element to the green will sometimes force players to straddle putt, to hyzer putt, to anhyzer putt, to lob putt up and over. There will be many more exciting putts and putting will become something worth watching. Otherwise, as these guys get better, we will only care about putts outside 40 feet as being worth watching. It is time to add an element of challenge to the green.

:clap::clap::clap:

Use smaller baskets.

Yes, another possible solution would be to shrink the target of the Pro Tour. While this may be a good solution for the top players, a big problem is the confusion this would cause with all of the current baskets on courses today. If the pros are playing on smaller baskets, many players will clamor that they too want to play on smaller baskets, causing amazing inconsistency amongst our courses as some switch sizes and some keep the current size. In our opinion, a better option is to make putting more challenging by adjusting the flight path of the putt by adding an obstacle or two to the green on the simplest holes on the Pro Tour courses.

:clap::clap::clap::clap: It's a reasonable idea on the surface to shrink the targets, but I have always thought that it doesn't make putting "harder" in the right way. You can do things to make more missed putts, but that doesn't make them fun to watch. Hyzer putt around a tree, over a half wall - those are fun to watch.

Our most recent blog post discusses the passionate concerns and comments, In Paragon We Truss.

---

Most courses, even the most difficult championship level courses, have a hole or two on which the top players in the world can card a pretty easy deuce. Using the Memorial as an example:

- Hole 8 at Fountain Hills: Birdied by 19 of the top 20 players
- Hole 3 at Vista del Camino: Birdied by 18 of the top 20 players
- Hole 10 at Fiesta: Birdied by 17 of the top 20 players

For the top players in the world, these holes offer very little challenge and very little chance of scoring separation. For the best players, playing the Pro Tour, designed to thrill and engage spectators, we want more challenge, more separation, and more excitement.

Then I think it is time to look for courses and course design that don't need PuttTrusses to make it a challenge for our top Pros. It seems like many larger tournaments and tour tournaments are held on certain courses out of tradition. It is time to find some better venues or rework the old ones if possible. PuttTrusses would be a band aid solution that I would fear might become a bad permanent solution to a bigger problem.

If you want to sell advertising I think that is great. Wrap the first tree or two off the tee with banners or put some sort of circular sign around the base of a basket. I'm sure there are plenty of ways to add advertising to the course without adding objects around the green.

Then I think it is time to look for courses and course design that don't need PuttTrusses to make it a challenge for our top Pros. It seems like many larger tournaments and tour tournaments are held on certain courses out of tradition. It is time to find some better venues or rework the old ones if possible. PuttTrusses would be a band aid solution that I would fear might become a bad permanent solution to a bigger problem.

If you want to sell advertising I think that is great. Wrap the first tree or two off the tee with banners or put some sort of circular sign around the base of a basket. I'm sure there are plenty of ways to add advertising to the course without adding objects around the green.

Aside from the aesthetics of it being a man-made obstacle, what is the difference between adding a couple of these truss structures to an existing green (and slapping a banner on them) and finding/designing/building a whole new course that features a hole with a couple trees on the green in roughly the same configuration relative to the basket (and slapping banners on the trees)?

Until the sport has the kind of money where it can pick and choose (or build to suit) the very best courses for the biggest events, adding a few man-made objects such as these trusses is a cost-effective way to enhance the design of an existing course and provide ad space that shouldn't be discouraged.

Aside from the aesthetics of it being a man-made obstacle, what is the difference between adding a couple of these truss structures to an existing green (and slapping a banner on them) and finding/designing/building a whole new course that features a hole with a couple trees on the green in roughly the same configuration relative to the basket (and slapping banners on the trees)?

Until the sport has the kind of money where it can pick and choose (or build to suit) the very best courses for the biggest events, adding a few man-made objects such as these trusses is a cost-effective way to enhance the design of an existing course and provide ad space that shouldn't be discouraged.

So is there an argument to be made against setting up poles, walls, banners, and artificial sand traps on a football pitch and having a tournament? It'd certainly be cheaper, and you could use the stands for elevation. Reminds me of games in McArthur court where students would huck frisbees side to side on the top row.

Again, I'm all for it, but if we're going for the idea, be honest about it, I want ads on every basket and lining every fairway. Don't pretend that its pretty or part of a unique and special environment. But most of all, stop with this nonsense about disc golf being a walk in the park, being out in nature, gorgeous venues, we're just a venue for marketers, right?

Now one of the smarter guys here is going to come back with the it's a balance comment. Yes, it is a balance. Placing two huge ads side by basket by side isn't a balance, it's placing banner ads on either side of the goal box so that you get to see it writ large on penalty shots. It's hanging a paper ad between the goal posts so that the three point kick breaks the paper as it passes through. It's Charles Barkley hanging a flag over the rebok logo... whoops wrong artificially placed marketing campaign.

I'm not advocating finding/designing/building a whole new course that features a hole with a couple trees on the green in roughly the same configuration relative to the basket, similar in structure to the PuttTruss idea.

I'm advocating making the hole more difficult in general and I'm advocating making the hole difficult in such a way that it is much more of a challenge to make it on the green. Make it tougher to get on the green, don't make the greens tougher.

The real excitement is in the 40' or maybe 45'+ putts. I thought one of the goals of the pro tour is to make it more exciting and attract more eyeballs. Will anyone really be excited about watching our pros having to stretch out on a straddle putt?

I'm not completely anti-object on the green either. They can be worked in in certain cases, but this is going overboard. Like I said, I just see this as a band aid to a bigger problem and I would hate to see PuttTrusses become a permanent bad solution.

I think there are some courses out there now that have good design, or they are really close to having good design. We don't have to re-work all the courses or build a ton of new great courses. There just needs to be a handful of courses for the biggest events. Like I said, I think some big tournaments are clinging to certain courses out of tradition and it is a poor decision to do so. I don't think the challenge is building/reworking courses, the real challenge will be prying the big tournaments away from some of these older courses. There are better options out there.

There is plenty of space out on courses for ads and plenty of ways for advertising without PuttTrusses.

Considering that the trusses are only for these events and that they will be used only on the simplest holes and will be very limited in use...

I say give it a try. I'll watch and form my opinion after seeinng them in action. I find that the Memorial, for example, can get pretty tedious to watch with BDH after BDH being thrown. Thus, my willingness to wait and see.

And, frankly, I didn't mind when the first picture showed the trusses close to the water. If you go for the gap, running the basket, that's the chane you're willing to take. If you want less risk, take the wider route and play long, leaving an easy upshot or possibly longer putt. Of course, I haven't doinked a drive off of one and into the drink, either. :D

Last edited:
As far as i can tell from reading the putt-truss is a gimmick.
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/gimmick

If the hole is that open and easy make it a island green and move on. There is no real reason to have a 6'X1' square post. I would rather see a free standing gaurd rail like what some marathons use or hay bales. Look at the holes at the USDGC i believe 7 with the bamboo wall and 17 with the bales of hay. Plenty of space for advertising and challenges the whole feild not just the golfer who lands next to them.

Sorry if i sound ungrateful i just could see some non DGers coming across the event on TV and see a puttruss and think of miniature golf or something of that nature and think "the hippy stoners Frisbee golf is so easy that they have bumpers on that green there to make it more challenging. What a joke." << is a non golfer with that thought going to continue to watch the DGWT on TV? Also are they someone that if they had that though going to recommend DGWT to their friends and family to watch?? While we have enough numbers to have okay ratings, we have to be engaging to those that do not necessarily know of disc golf so not only will they watch but they tell their friends and family to keep a eye out.

But the putt-truss would make a good mandatory marker.

So is there an argument to be made against setting up poles, walls, banners, and artificial sand traps on a football pitch and having a tournament? It'd certainly be cheaper, and you could use the stands for elevation. Reminds me of games in McArthur court where students would huck frisbees side to side on the top row.

As far as i can tell from reading the putt-truss is a gimmick.
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/gimmick

If the hole is that open and easy make it a island green and move on. There is no real reason to have a 6'X1' square post. I would rather see a free standing gaurd rail like what some marathons use or hay bales. Look at the holes at the USDGC i believe 7 with the bamboo wall and 17 with the bales of hay. Plenty of space for advertising and challenges the whole feild not just the golfer who lands next to them.

Sorry if i sound ungrateful i just could see some non DGers coming across the event on TV and see a puttruss and think of miniature golf or something of that nature and think "the hippy stoners Frisbee golf is so easy that they have bumpers on that green there to make it more challenging. What a joke." << is a non golfer with that thought going to continue to watch the DGWT on TV? Also are they someone that if they had that though going to recommend DGWT to their friends and family to watch?? While we have enough numbers to have okay ratings, we have to be engaging to those that do not necessarily know of disc golf so not only will they watch but they tell their friends and family to keep a eye out.

But the putt-truss would make a good mandatory marker.

This is DGPT, not DGWT, first off...
second, just to clarify... Not a Gimmick:
schu-310x205.jpg
1760_m.jpg

got it.

I think it's funny that this would be a non-issue if they were painted to look like a 6 foot tree stump, inside or outside the circle.
Put a logo on it, and it's an existential crisis about what we should have near a disc off course.

I think it's funny that this would be a non-issue if they were painted to look like a 6 foot tree stump, inside or outside the circle.
Put a logo on it, and it's an existential crisis about what we should have near a disc off course.

#growthesportbutsomehowdoitwithoutmoneyandonlythenature

Yes, the dictionary.com definition seems general enough, and this seems to fit. #401 Addresses it:

"We will agree that it could be viewed as a step onto a slippery slope. However, we have no intention of going any further than defining the ideal shot that should be executed on a hole. For a course full of righty friendly hyzer shots, the PuttTruss can be setup in a way to encourage a different shot, balancing out the course."

If they hauled around 600 lb logs to stand up for events we would have nothing to discuss (except for the empty circle purists) so this is really about the color they're painted. And if we should build new courses or upgrade current ones.

Yes, the dictionary.com definition seems general enough, and this seems to fit. #401 Addresses it:

"We will agree that it could be viewed as a step onto a slippery slope. However, we have no intention of going any further than defining the ideal shot that should be executed on a hole. For a course full of righty friendly hyzer shots, the PuttTruss can be setup in a way to encourage a different shot, balancing out the course."

If they hauled around 600 lb logs to stand up for events we would have nothing to discuss (except for the empty circle purists) so this is really about the color they're painted. And if we should build new courses or upgrade current ones.

The problem is how does the putt-truss shape shots if its near the basket?

It states that the top 20 pros on the easy par 3s nearly every one of them got 2s. But why is it bad for a pro to have a good performance on a par 3? I bet every pro that missed the 2 on the 3 par 3s felt like they got a bogie. Realistically in a tournament par is infinite. Its about how many strokes are taken for the duration of the tournament.

lol do you even disc golf bro? I joke, but if you protect certain sides of a basket, you encourage higher percentage approaches from other sides (hyzer or straight or flick) and encourages landing areas and discourages other landing areas.

lol do you even disc golf bro? I joke, but if you protect certain sides of a basket, you encourage higher percentage approaches from other sides (hyzer or straight or flick) and encourages landing areas and discourages other landing areas.

So... instead of a 315' hyzer a golfer needs to throw a 300' hyzer or a 320' hyzer. Its 6' tall by 1' . A mandatory shapes shots a post near the basket with advertising on it wont.

Like i said the putt-truss even with advertising plastered all over it would make a excellent mandatory. But as a way to divert shots by being near the basket that is easy otherwise for the top pros in the game to reach sounds ridiculous at least to me.

It states that the top 20 pros on the easy par 3s nearly every one of them got 2s. But why is it bad for a pro to have a good performance on a par 3? I bet every pro that missed the 2 on the 3 par 3s felt like they got a bogie. Realistically in a tournament par is infinite. Its about how many strokes are taken for the duration of the tournament.

The problem with a hole like that isn't that it is too easy, it's that there isn't any separation. Imagine 2 different par 4's with a scoring breakdown as follows:

Hole A [2] 1% [3] 85% [4] 11% [5] 3%
Hole B [2] 35% [3] 30% [4] 19% [5] 16%

Both of these holes are "easy" based on avg score relative to par, but A is a bad hole and B is a great hole because of scoring variance, or separation. Any hole where the scoring is static across a large sample is a waste of time for the players, and boring for spectators.

and boring for spectators.

I think this is the crux of the matter. DGPT's whole vision from the start has been more spectators and more spectator-friendly. So if you can add at least something to make a hole more interesting for spectators - even if it is unconventional - then that's a plus.

I mean, we're all talking about it here, right? Mission accomplished.

Latest posts