• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Pro Tour

We are excited to introduce our dual Putt Truss. On shorter, aceable holes on the Pro Tour, we will be incorporating the Paragon Truss elements to define ideal landing spots on the green as well as provide attractive sponsor placement.

In Paragon We Truss.

Let us know if you like adding some difficulty and green placement definition on shorter, aceable holes.
What is the actual ruling on these? I'm not getting how they affect play and/or add difficulty. Are they like double mandos you have to shoot between?

What is the actual ruling on these? I'm not getting how they affect play and/or add difficulty. Are they like double mandos you have to shoot between?

they are movable obstacles. basically putting is boring on an open flat green. these are movable "trees" that also have ads. from a marketing and a interesting green perspective, it hits the nail on the head. if you're a purest, it is bad i guess

Looks like the trusses could also be used near some tees to shape the throwing direction options on open holes.

they are movable obstacles. basically putting is boring on an open flat green. these are movable "trees" that also have ads. from a marketing and a interesting green perspective, it hits the nail on the head. if you're a purest, it is bad i guess
Eh...how big are they depthwise? So far as an obstacle goes, it's not at all like a tree. One tree could close down a hyzer route. These things don't look tall enough or deep enough to do that, so hitting one would be more random/gimmicky than anything. I'm no pro obviously, but looking at the provided picture the hyzer route is still my best route. I'm not really against them; they would be good for advertising. I don't see them making a course any harder for a pro-level player, though. Of course that would be better determined by the opinion a pro-level player, which I am not.

Seems like you're adding more of the luck element IMO....two shots land 30ft away from the basket...one has a direct line of sight to the basket...the other lands directing in line with a truss. Both equally good shots, but one guy is screwed on a fluke. You might as well throw a spinning windmill in there.

Seems like you're adding more of the luck element IMO....two shots land 30ft away from the basket...one has a direct line of sight to the basket...the other lands directing in line with a truss. Both equally good shots, but one guy is screwed on a fluke. You might as well throw a spinning windmill in there.

And if it was a tree or a bush instead of a truss, would it still be luck? How is it a fluke to land behind a pre-existing obstacle?

Whether it's a tree or a bush or a boulder or a fence or a truss, the obstacle is there for everyone and it is there before the player makes his throw. If one lands behind it and has an obstructed putt, it wasn't as good of a shot as the guy who lands equally far away from the target but not behind the truss.

Sometimes I think some people get way too hung up on the aesthetics of things. And I feel like that's all any argument against this truss idea is going to come down to.

Presuming you can see the trusses, the players did not throw equally good shots if one has the truss in his way, yes? Just like throwing to avoid tree(s) in a landing area. Again, presuming you can see them to avoid them with your throw.

And if it was a tree or a bush instead of a truss, would it still be luck? How is it a fluke to land behind a pre-existing obstacle?

Whether it's a tree or a bush or a boulder or a fence or a truss, the obstacle is there for everyone and it is there before the player makes his throw. If one lands behind it and has an obstructed putt, it wasn't as good of a shot as the guy who lands equally far away from the target but not behind the truss.

Sometimes I think some people get way too hung up on the aesthetics of things. And I feel like that's all any argument against this truss idea is going to come down to.

Ding ding ding! As the sport grows, I predict nature takes a bit more of a backseat. Finding more places to play the game in a media-accessible arena will end up being more important.

In some regards, it's already there. Look at the Fountain Hills course, for example. You've got some scenery, no doubt. But the fountain isn't a natural geyser, there are concrete-lined lakes, and streets with houses in the background. No one seems to be complaining there.

Presuming you can see the trusses, the players did not throw equally good shots if one has the truss in his way, yes? Just like throwing to avoid tree(s) in a landing area. Again, presuming you can see them to avoid them with your throw.

So how far should the trusses be away from the basket? How large should the landing area be? How high should the ceiling be in the fairway? How wide should a fairway be?

It seems that the answers to these questions are still heavily debatable in the world of design/competition. Is there a way to completely take luck out of the equation...no...but from a competitive standpoint it should be limited as much as possible IMO.

Ding ding ding! As the sport grows, I predict nature takes a bit more of a backseat. Finding more places to play the game in a media-accessible arena will end up being more important.

In some regards, it's already there. Look at the Fountain Hills course, for example. You've got some scenery, no doubt. But the fountain isn't a natural geyser, there are concrete-lined lakes, and streets with houses in the background. No one seems to be complaining there.

Some complain about the elevated baskets.:rolleyes:

Fountain Hills is a great example to point to. There's a hole on the back nine in which the basket is set between two (or three) trees...basically if you land north/south of the basket, you're obstructed, but east/west you're relatively clean (directions not actual, just trying to draw a picture with words ;)). I don't see how that's different than than the idea of a couple trusses on a green...except for the not so natural aesthetic of it. Functionally, it's the same.

I'm not arguing aesthetics... How far should the tree, bush, truss or whatever be away from the basket....there are guidelines for this, but no concrete rules, that is my biggest issue.

I'm only in support of trussing when there is a turkey involved. Well, okay, sometimes it's medically necessary, and that's okay too.

Given that one of our messages is the visual aspect of the game, frankly, these things take a cool dangerous hole and make it look like, what did Troy say, oh yeah, like a billboard.

Anyone ever watch the move Brazil? Where the protagonist is driving down a freeway where every square inch is billboard. We should do that. Line the fairway end to end with ads. Even if you shanked it, you'd bounce in.

The first time a Pro bounces a disc off one back into the pond, tis going to be an interesting discussion.

You can accomplish the same thing in a more tasteful way, USDGC does it with the clown mouth. Oh well.

I'm only in support of trussing when there is a turkey involved. Well, okay, sometimes it's medically necessary, and that's okay too.

Given that one of our messages is the visual aspect of the game, frankly, these things take a cool dangerous hole and make it look like, what did Troy say, oh yeah, like a billboard.

Anyone ever watch the move Brazil? Where the protagonist is driving down a freeway where every square inch is billboard. We should do that. Line the fairway end to end with ads. Even if you shanked it, you'd bounce in.

The first time a Pro bounces a disc off one back into the pond, tis going to be an interesting discussion.

You can accomplish the same thing in a more tasteful way, USDGC does it with the clown mouth. Oh well.

Just for the sake of argument, look at EVERY OTHER PROFESSIONAL SPORT. An entire soccer pitch is lined with ads. Hell, the uniforms are giant billboards. Behind home plate in a baseball game? Ads. Might as well steer into the skid.

If you have a couple minutes, head over and enjoy our latest blog:

Ken Climo is disc golf royalty.

---

We are digesting the very good conversations about the PuttTruss. I suspect our response will be our next blog post in a few days.

---

We had a good few days in Scottsdale leading up to the Memorial. We interviewed the vast majority of players at the tourney that are playing the Pro Tour and are putting together some tremendous set pieces. We got so much footage that we were able to put together a couple quick pieces for the Smashboxx broadcast.

Our first set piece: How the pros prepared for the Memorial

Our second set piece: LA Times article interviews with McBeth, Schusterick, Wysocki

---

Here is to a great 2016!

I'm playing the Pro Tour! Enjoy. Now let's go watch the final round of the Memorial!

Can you post the video link to the Mcbeth LA times article, with Ricky and Will.

The first time a pro hits a puttress and rolls in the water, the conversation will not be interesting, it will be non existent.

Places with minimal tree cover is good for cameras, bad for interesting shots. I wouldn't want DG to look like an arcade game American Gladiator Paintball field, but I think this looks awesome. So a professional looking balance is good.
2015eo-locastro.jpg

Latest posts