• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Pro Tour

Yeah the whole "pro" disc golfer definition gets cloudy...

It's just a hunch but I have a feeling a select few work much harder at disc golf like a true job vs a travelling good time to pocket some coin and throw around the country.

So it's hard to say really how paying some ofnthose aspsiring to be great but are not yet helps. Maybe it keeps them moving along but also takes away from others doing a lot more.

I would agree with some of that. If the end goal is to create an actual tour then players have to cover travel and living expenses. Maybe if you have a better chance of making a living at touring those talented players would compete more and weed out the contingent that is content with just traveling and having a good time. Instead its a field of competitors that each feel they have a shot at winning each week.

now following thread -

Excited for the tour stop at Blue Ribbon Pines, hoping some big names come out, I definitely plan to go out and spectate. There's a great DG crowd here, I hope we can get a big group out to watch.

never spotted before, but i'm sure a brush up on the spotter book would be quick. could be fun.

Just signed up on the e-mail list. I can't imagine you will be hurting for spotters Steve for the BRP event with the community here - responsible ones, well idk... but if there's a need I'm sure just my small group could fill a few spotter spots

I think the compromise is to pay out less of the field but do things like "win your card win a disc" on the final day that some bigger tournaments do. This makes so those who win will win more substantial cash (relatively) and the dead money who have no shot at placing high enough to cash at least have a shot at winning something. I think this really would be the best of both worlds. I'm really only thinking about AM levels here, if you're playing Open it should be a steep payout to a small percentage of the field because, you know, supposed to be professionals and what not.

I'm really only thinking about AM levels here, if you're playing Open it should be a steep payout to a small percentage of the field because, you know, supposed to be professionals and what not.

What is a small percentage of the field? If you have 100 competitors how deep should they pay out?

This thread has drifted a little bit. Some of the discussion regarding entry fees and payouts isn't even applicable to the pro tour. Don't get me wrong, it's good discussion; but the pro tour is being built on already established tournaments that have proven to be successful in the past.

The package deal is obviously aimed at a specific demographic or two... not your everyday player. We can debate the advantages/disadvantages all day, but the points are moot. This tour will happen. The events will be full. The majority of the people reading this will be watching coverage of it. The package provides a convenient way for the elite players to ensure they are in on the action. What's more interesting IMO is that it also provides a way for less-than-elite players to join in on the action if they have the $ to burn and a strong desire to be part of something bigger. How big is that demographic? Although I'm curious ... it's completely irrelevant. This tour is about making something bigger and better.

It will make disc golf as fun to watch as it is to play. This may seem like an impossible dream, but I'm starting to buy into it and I think that this tour might make it happen.

Just my .02

Anyone sign up for it yet?

I know it's a little off topic, but just to give another opinion...

I seem to be in the minority, but I can play in more tournaments if I cash, so yes, I would avoid a large tournament that only paid out 20% of the field. If only touring pros are going to cash, then I am not going to pay a few hundred dollars entry fee when I could play 5 other tournaments for that same amount of money, and win it all back.

This thread has drifted a little bit. Some of the discussion regarding entry fees and payouts isn't even applicable to the pro tour...

The package provides a convenient way for the elite players to ensure they are in on the action. What's more interesting IMO is that it also provides a way for less-than-elite players to join in on the action if they have the $ to burn and a strong desire to be part of something bigger. How big is that demographic? Although I'm curious ... it's completely irrelevant. This tour is about making something bigger and better.

Just my .02

If disc golf was a bigger deal these spots would get eaten up by the average Joe just for the experience. People pay 1k to watch big sporting events they definitely would pay to compete with the top level atheletes even for a butt kicking. Luckily not that big of a deal in 2015.

If disc golf was a bigger deal these spots would get eaten up by the average Joe just for the experience. People pay 1k to watch big sporting events they definitely would pay to compete with the top level atheletes even for a butt kicking. Luckily not that big of a deal in 2015.

I agree with you.

Not sure why you deleted specific lines of my text when you quoted me though:

Deleted ?:
Don't get me wrong, it's good discussion; but the pro tour is being built on already established tournaments that have proven to be successful in the past.
The package deal is obviously aimed at a specific demographic or two... not your everyday player. We can debate the advantages/disadvantages all day, but the points are moot. This tour will happen. The events will be full. The majority of the people reading this will be watching coverage of it.
It will make disc golf as fun to watch as it is to play. This may seem like an impossible dream, but I'm starting to buy into it and I think that this tour might make it happen.

Disc golfers tend to be a bit entitled. Even ams bitch about payouts. I've gotten paid out 3x in 2 tournaments and 2 weeklies and I was shocked to get anything in the two tournaments. 5th of 9 in Int and 6th of 17 in Int didn't really strike me as worthy of any particular prizes. If you want a payout, get better and play pro.

I want a participation prize worth at least my signup. And if I get 3rd an extra $100, 2nd $500 and if I win it should be a new car.

Also $50 to play a C-tier is low enough to me Id like to see that doubled but thats just me. I also dont like the model of a flat payout or paying out 50%. 25% would be a lot better.

I know it's a little off topic, but just to give another opinion...

I seem to be in the minority, but I can play in more tournaments if I cash, so yes, I would avoid a large tournament that only paid out 20% of the field. If only touring pros are going to cash, then I am not going to pay a few hundred dollars entry fee when I could play 5 other tournaments for that same amount of money, and win it all back.

When it comes to pros, particularly at the highest levels, where a fair number of participants have aspirations of it being more than a hobby but a career, deeper payouts help make that possible. This is one of the philosophies that the DGPT espouses (and Steve Dodge has been on about for years). Top heavy payouts at top events only allow the very best players to sustain themselves on tour. Spreading the wealth a bit, by paying flatter and deeper, keeps more players in a position to make enough to keep themselves on tour.

This is a really interesting point and one that I have been wrestling with since the 2004 MSDGC. (you can read a great write up by Jason Southwick, co-TD, here: http://www.maplehillopen.com/2004-msdgc.html

A couple times the top payout was really high - in an attempt to increase media coverage - and all it seemed to do was decrease the payout for everyone else. Payout is a difficult topic and the first thing to figure out is what the goals of the payout are.

For the Pro Tour in 2016, there are no rules for how each event needs to do their payout. We are going to use 2016 as a way of testing various models and, over the years, coalesce on the current ideal solution. Note: I use the words current ideal solution because, over the years, the goals of the payout will change and the payout structure should change too.

For now, my goal is to allow as many players as possible to tour and I therefore opt to make a flat payout structure. It could easily be argued that this undervalues the top few spots in the event. I counter argue that it is more important, for the time being, for us to get more players that can stay on tour so that we all have more players to watch and get emotionally connected to. If we pay a steep payout curve and limit the payout to a small (25%) percentage in these early days, we would find a small group (four or five) of players that would be able to afford to tour and make playing dg their livelihood and well behind them would be the pro/hobbyist who needs another job and cannot dedicate the time to the game that the touring pros do.

For the time being, everyone - even Paul, Ricky and Will - benefits from having a dozen or more other players on tour with them. As the spectator base grows, and the sponsors grow, and the payouts grow, the payout can be steeper over time. I actually think it would be valid to setup a transition model now so that we know where we are headed. When the money gets there, we can payout deep and steep, like traditional golf and tennis do now.

Deep and steep is the goal.

This thread has drifted a little bit. Some of the discussion regarding entry fees and payouts isn't even applicable to the pro tour. Don't get me wrong, it's good discussion; but the pro tour is being built on already established tournaments that have proven to be successful in the past.

The package deal is obviously aimed at a specific demographic or two... not your everyday player. We can debate the advantages/disadvantages all day, but the points are moot. This tour will happen. The events will be full. The majority of the people reading this will be watching coverage of it. The package provides a convenient way for the elite players to ensure they are in on the action. What's more interesting IMO is that it also provides a way for less-than-elite players to join in on the action if they have the $ to burn and a strong desire to be part of something bigger. How big is that demographic? Although I'm curious ... it's completely irrelevant.

Thank you for pulling the conversation back to the Pro Tour discussion. You are correct, all of our events are well established, well run, on amazing courses. When we overlay them with the Pro Tour infrastructure, festival, live coverage, statistics and points series with a huge Tour Championship, it makes the whole thing that much more compelling.

Our goal for the package deal was to let the 970-1010 rated type of regional players that have always wondered how they stack up to give the Pro Tour a chance. My guess is that, because of this program, we see a few players have break out seasons. I've had a few of the folks that have signed up for the Pro Tour Player Pass (http://www.discgolfprotour.com/venues.html) tell me that this has pushed them over the edge and they are now practicing their games like they never have before.

We are going to see some exciting golf and not all of it is going to be from the players that we expect. I cannot wait for this Summer! :clap:

now following thread -

Excited for the tour stop at Blue Ribbon Pines, hoping some big names come out, I definitely plan to go out and spectate. There's a great DG crowd here, I hope we can get a big group out to watch.

This tour is about making something bigger and better. It will make disc golf as fun to watch as it is to play. This may seem like an impossible dream, but I'm starting to buy into it and I think that this tour might make it happen.

Just my .02

Thank you both for the encouraging words. It is beginning to feel like the train has left the station. We will continue to build up steam and (slowly) gain momentum until the June launch of the Pro Tour.

I am thankful to have you all on board as early adopters helping to make this whole thing happen. Here we go!

Disc golfers tend to be a bit entitled. Even ams bitch about payouts. I've gotten paid out 3x in 2 tournaments and 2 weeklies and I was shocked to get anything in the two tournaments. 5th of 9 in Int and 6th of 17 in Int didn't really strike me as worthy of any particular prizes. If you want a payout, get better and play pro.

My only complaint with payouts is they are always so deep imo and I play open. I do not care how large the tourney is, paying out 40 or 50 percent is way too many. If I played a tournament with 100 people and I took 40th, there is no reason to get paid. Imy 963 rated also so I don't expect to get paid out in NTs or large A tiers. I go for the experience and to learn.

What is a small percentage of the field? If you have 100 competitors how deep should they pay out?

I'd like to see 35 max paid out at 100 people.
10 people-3/4
20 people-5/6/7
30 people- 10
40 people- 12/13
50 people- 15/16/17
100 people- 30/35
200 people- 60/70/ maybe 80
I disagree with a flat model but something between maybe 25-35 percent is good. And as the numbers increase, you can add a few more people to be paid. See bottom 100 people vs. 200 payout

If playing as an Open pro is truly going to be a profession, players could be paid who shoot scores that average at or above a some minimum performance level that could be defined by rating. Dodge has angled toward this concept with his "make the cut, make some cash" approach. Imagine at your real production job if you only got paid if you produced more items than half of your co-workers and the top producer earned 10 times what this mid-point worker earned? Not exactly a great job, even for many in the top half. Of course, everyone gets paid in production jobs. And as long as they maintain some minimum performance, they keep their jobs. In theory, those below that performance level are either fired or not hired in the first place.

We haven't seen our pros in this light before, i.e. getting paid if they meet some minimum performance level. We also haven't defined some minimum performance level to become an "Open Pro" like past performance or Q school. However, these new tours could make that determination for their tours. For example, every player who averages better than a specified score or above some unofficial rating (1005?) could get paid. Sometimes 1/4 of the field might cash and other times 1/2 the field might cash depending on the strength of the field entered and the minimum cashing performance value set. The total purse would be the same but just be paid out following our usual declining payout table values from top to bottom paid place.

Thank you for pulling the conversation back to the Pro Tour discussion. You are correct, all of our events are well established, well run, on amazing courses. When we overlay them with the Pro Tour infrastructure, festival, live coverage, statistics and points series with a huge Tour Championship, it makes the whole thing that much more compelling.

Our goal for the package deal was to let the 970-1010 rated type of regional players that have always wondered how they stack up to give the Pro Tour a chance. My guess is that, because of this program, we see a few players have break out seasons. I've had a few of the folks that have signed up for the Pro Tour Player Pass (http://www.discgolfprotour.com/venues.html) tell me that this has pushed them over the edge and they are now practicing their games like they never have b4

Compelling for who? Exciting a little bit I guess. What is pro tour infrastructure even?

970 players better REALLY practice to win any events this year IMO...

Long time reader, first time poster.

I think Steve has the right idea about payouts for the DGPT. What convinces me is remembering Philo's appearance on Final Round Radio. Basically, he said that part of the reason McBeth is so successful is that he is 100% devoted to tournament disc golf. He shows up early, practices the courses, sleeps in a bed, etc. Meanwhile, other pros have to roll in the day before, might get to cram in one practice session, and sleep on someone's floor. McBeth is great, but his Innova support really helps.

Whatever payout structure and tournament schedule are chosen, those need to make it possible for some number of people to tour full-time and devote themselves only to disc golf while touring. (I'd put the number between 20-50). If there aren't enough pros touring full time, it devalues the competition. The conditions under which the top pros play have to be relatively similar. It sucks to think that any part of the Grand Slam wasn't due to skill at disc golf. How stupid would it be if people were saying that the Warriors were only winning NBA games because they got hotels while the rest of the league stayed in tents? (Which does matter.)

Look at the massive improvement in Sexton's game now that he is getting more Innova support. And Paul went from #1 to winning literally almost every tournament. So either sponsors have to ensure that more people can stay out and tour right, or something like the DGPT has to have payouts that make it possible. Otherwise, we're not seeing fair competition.

... every player who averages better than a specified score or above some unofficial rating (1005?) could get paid. Sometimes 1/4 of the field might cash and other times 1/2 the field might cash depending on the strength of the field entered and the minimum cashing performance value set. The total purse would be the same but just be paid out following our usual declining payout table values from top to bottom paid place.

The way Steve sets par, that would be just about the same as paying everyone who scores under par. Which leads to another thought: to make it more "job-like", pay per throw under, rather than rank. I think the top players would win about as much, but fewer would get anything.

Imagine the fun of "Doink, there goes another $145."