• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf/USDG on TV??

NothinButChing

* Ace Member *
Amongst the millions of channels out there, is there anywhere to watch USDG tournaments?

I've worked with TV sports for couple years now, I would be interested in helping a video crew get together to start filming some of the major tournaments around the country.

Just seems that if people sit there n watch hunting, billiards, darts, ping pong, fishing and ball golf on TV... there sould be some disc golf on TV. It would def help the sport out a TON!

here's an ARTICLE I found on the subject

I agree with Torque completely...until the money is there it is impossible.

Enjoy the web coverage though, it should be good.

I saw like a intro to disc golf show once on some crappy local station at like 3 in the morning once.
They had some good basic advice and tips. If they broadcasted a fundementals DVD on like Comcast Sports Net when there was some down time I bet it would bring at least some popularity

torn between

this is where i find myself in my own dilemnna. on one end disc is an amazingly difficult sport. anyone who plays knows there is more mental in the game than physical. it would be great to see how the pros actually play. and to see pros actually get paid a legitimate income. now, on the other side, this is the only sport we have that literally can be free. i have a couple friends who have never bought a disc in their life. they have found every disc in their collection. so minus gas money, it's free. i'm afraid that with publicity would come use fees. i don't mind paying to go into a park, that is paying to keep the park alive not paying for disc. im worried that if one course starts to charge, then others will start to see that a profit can be made from this sport and the soul of it would be ruined. i love the free and wild aspect. i love seeing people out for their first time, flinging discs into trees and water hazards. i also love seeing someone who really knows what they're doing throw beautiful throws. now a lot of courses would never be able to charge because of being way out of the way, but wouldn't it be a drag to drive say, 150 miles to play this course you've always heard of, get there and find out this highly rated course costs $5 to play? i say commend the volunteers who create the courses, what they do, cannot be properly compensated financially. they make all of our lives better, who can price that? but it is that much more commendable that people are doing this all over the world, without financial compensation, it is a rarety.

It would def help the sport out a TON!
No it wouldn't. It would be a waste of time and money. The grass roots efforts we've been doing for 30 years now of planting pole holes in parks have done far more to grow the sport than any television coverage could. At the recreational level, we're growing at around 15% per year. Pretty healthy growth IMO.

I think people who keep dreaming up this ridiculous "we'd be huge if we were on TV" fantasy really haven't thought how that scenario would play out. These other alternative sports you see in the wee hours on ESPN are not being given money for the rights to broadcast their sport. In fact, the opposite is going on. As that article states, to buy an hour (and probably at a wee awful hour of the nite) on a second tier sports channel like FSN costs $60K. The PDGA only has 12,000 active members paying $50-75 each for membership.

Even if you count non-PDGA people in local clubs, we are simply too small as a organized sport to afford that. Besides, why pay money when fewer folks are watching TV, and more people are watching the Internet. Youtube is where its at. And its free.

Amongst the millions of channels out there, is there anywhere to watch USDG tournaments?

I've worked with TV sports for couple years now, I would be interested in helping a video crew get together to start filming some of the major tournaments around the country.

Just seems that if people sit there n watch hunting, billiards, darts, ping pong, fishing and ball golf on TV... there sould be some disc golf on TV. It would def help the sport out a TON!

here's an ARTICLE I found on the subject
on DVD

They are broadcasting the USDGC on the internet this year - see www.usdgc.com for prominent links for it.

Also Disc Golf Live sends community access TV channels a program monthly - www.discgolflive.com

They are broadcasting the USDGC on the internet this year - see www.usdgc.com for prominent links for it.

Also Disc Golf Live sends community access TV channels a program monthly - www.discgolflive.com
Disc golf live will probally show clips of it but because the people that shoot the video want to sell dvds they wont show the whole thing.

I think the best way to see more Dg on T.V. is to find out ways we can get more funding for Disc Golf live , so they can either pay for the footage or afford to shoot it themselves.

I think espn is more of a lossed cause and Disc golf live is the best platform we have .

Signed up this morning and I cant wait!!!!!

so if you wanna sign up to watch online, and cant afford a donation (there is option for $0) why do you need to enter your credit card info?? is there any way to watch without entering that info? it is not a secure site!

I didnt have to enter mine. I just created an acount and it said come back tomorrow at 1015

If you sign up and do not donate you are telling the DG world that you do not think it is worth the while of people doing the work to continue pursuing producing live video of DG events.
(It is indeed a secure site. It uses "TLS 1.0, RC4 with 128 bit encryption (High); RSA with 1024 bit exchange")

I will retract that statement if we are innundated with commercials during the live broadcasts.

Last edited:
I didnt donate and I dint say anything like that, but thanks for putting words in my mouth

Don't sweat it. I think they already have a strong inkling that that is the way the DG audience feels. :)

If you sign up and do not donate you are telling the DG world that you do not think it is worth the while of people doing the work to continue pursuing producing live video of DG events.
(It is indeed a secure site. It uses "TLS 1.0, RC4 with 128 bit encryption (High); RSA with 1024 bit exchange")

I will retract that statement if we are innundated with commercials during the live broadcasts.

I think that, in addition to Scarpfish's words sum up the reason why DG isnt covered on TV. There isnt enough money in DG to put it on tv... I think we may see Worlds or USDGC on tv in the next couple of years though, mainly because the sponsors have enough money to put it up.

I do believe that TV could help DG a little... especially with coverage of the sports' top athletes.

Thanks for the kind words, Omega and Dave.

Missed this thread while I was down in SC taping at the Championship.

I did about 70 minutes of material across several episodes for last year's USDGC and will do something along those lines this year as well, maybe less since I'll also be getting something from the PDGA using their broadcast stuff. Don't want to overwhelm viewers with one event when there are so many other stories to cover as well. It would be great to travel to more events and gather more footage myself, but blending what I create with what folks submit from across the country helps cover things more broadly without the travel.

I can always use more support, so feel free to let folks at the PDGA, Innova, and Discraft know you appreciate their underwriting of DGL.

Best regards,

Joe

Joe Wander
Producer and Editor
Disc Golf Live video magazine
Bringing DG to TV one community at a time

Latest posts