• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Valley

Finally cracked 900 after a -32 pro tour (no choke rounds, though no impressive ones). Gonna be a tough haul to 950, though 925 doesn't seem very hard.

I've recently been trying to keep my "good rounds" and drop bad ones for the ratings updates. I was sad about the previous update cuz I had two 1000-rated pro tour rounds (which count for twice as much) but it didn't update! This time I managed to jump a bit because I managed to keep a decent number of multiplayer 1000-rated rounds. Of course, you also want to bump any disaster rounds if possible.

I found myself starting to care about by DGV rating, then promptly told my ego to shut the hell up. That said, it's fun to try and raise rating because that shows I'm getting better. However if I have to end the odd multiplayer round because my son is peeing his pants or something I'm not bothered by it. Same reason I have always been a F2P player on mobile games. I don't care enough to drop money. Just in it for fun.

Finally got a light/glide Ballista a few days ago, so I got that going for me. Got my first ever albatross on the condor hole yesterday. I've been playing around with the fairway driver slot. Was throwing a acc/wind River for a while, then switched to an acc/wind Musket for those shots, but with this new no putter thing maybe I'll bring back the River.

Finally cracked 900 after a -32 pro tour (no choke rounds, though no impressive ones). Gonna be a tough haul to 950, though 925 doesn't seem very hard.

This is basically where I'm at. I am shooting -32 to -36, although I actually play worse usually in MP since I don't focus as much. So my overall ratings are hovering in the 900-930 range, even though I get a bunch of rounds in the 960+ range and a small handful that are 1000+.

I feel like to hit 950, I'd need to change my playing habits. I could either focus hard on tournaments and not play MP rounds, since those drop my scores. Or I'd need to devote a bunch of time to getting more consistent. Neither sounds appealing. At the end of the day it's a game, and one that I don't take overly seriously.

Same. I hit 915 and am happy about it. I know I can bump it a bit higher, but until I'm consistently acing the Sunshine holes I'm not going to average 950. First round out of the update I hit an eagle and an ace in a -11 round for a 930 because it was such an easy layout. Other times I've thrown over 1000 with a -9. The two don't seem to even each other out though. I seem to get way more easy layouts than tough ones. Especially if I'm on a good run aiming at 950!

Haha looking back that definitely was me bragging. I just had a few humbling rounds. Rating will definitely be dropping a bit unless I can turn things around!

Same. I hit 915 and am happy about it. I know I can bump it a bit higher, but until I'm consistently acing the Sunshine holes I'm not going to average 950. First round out of the update I hit an eagle and an ace in a -11 round for a 930 because it was such an easy layout. Other times I've thrown over 1000 with a -9. The two don't seem to even each other out though. I seem to get way more easy layouts than tough ones. Especially if I'm on a good run aiming at 950!

I've been on a streak lately where it seems all my rounds are low-difficulty. Sunshine or Blueberry holes or both seemingly every layout. I just had the condor hole for the first time in I can't remember how long. I'm due for a run of good scoring layouts - hopefully you are too!

Is Condor the hole with the long curving fairway on the right that leaves you a 300-400 ft approach for an easy eagle?

If so, do you have to reach it with a flex from a L/G Ballista, and what wind is required? I've had a heck of a time with this one.

Also on the island hole, I've been aiming for the tiny middle patch, almost always going in the water, but getting a drop for an easy ~350 footer to a birdie. Is there any strategy for sticking that little island?

Is Condor the hole with the long curving fairway on the right that leaves you a 300-400 ft approach for an easy eagle?

If so, do you have to reach it with a flex from a L/G Ballista, and what wind is required? I've had a heck of a time with this one.

Also on the island hole, I've been aiming for the tiny middle patch, almost always going in the water, but getting a drop for an easy ~350 footer to a birdie. Is there any strategy for sticking that little island?

The "condor hole" is the par 5 that you can throw straight over water and get to (~500'). The L/G Ballista gets there pretty easy even in cross winds. Aim lower if you're having problems; it doesn't require a ton of flex.

The way to eagle the island hole is to throw to the island on the right, then try for the ~490-510' shot with a good Ballista. But most of the time it's safer to settle for the birdie but island hopping. I think the middle island is just to tempt you.

I mixed up my bag a bit lately, based on some of the feedback in this thread.

1. I dropped the acc/sticky Pure in exchange for another driver (roll/skip Ballista)
2. I dropped the acc/wind Pioneer for an acc/fade Musket to cover my Firebird slot.

I think I can adjust to not bagging a putter anymore. While I'm missing more 50-70 footers, I instantly became more accurate on 100-150 footers. Just need some reps to dial the Fuse in as a putter.

I wanted to try putting a roller disc in the bag, and one that can be a max distance disc that also has extra finish. The roll/skip combo on the Ballista accomplishes both of these things. Much like putting with the Fuse, early returns are mixed but I probably just need some practice.

What I am not at all sold on is the Musket. I know that none of the top players use a Pioneer, but it really does a great job for me on windy approaches and short hard fades. I think I will go back to the Pioneer.

One thing is for certain though -- my rating is going to drop like a rock. Between all the bag tinkering and getting dropped from an MP game to take a 100 rated round, I'm sure not on an upward trajectory!

I mixed up my bag a bit lately, based on some of the feedback in this thread.

1. I dropped the acc/sticky Pure in exchange for another driver (roll/skip Ballista)
2. I dropped the acc/wind Pioneer for an acc/fade Musket to cover my Firebird slot.

I think I can adjust to not bagging a putter anymore. While I'm missing more 50-70 footers, I instantly became more accurate on 100-150 footers. Just need some reps to dial the Fuse in as a putter.

I wanted to try putting a roller disc in the bag, and one that can be a max distance disc that also has extra finish. The roll/skip combo on the Ballista accomplishes both of these things. Much like putting with the Fuse, early returns are mixed but I probably just need some practice.

What I am not at all sold on is the Musket. I know that none of the top players use a Pioneer, but it really does a great job for me on windy approaches and short hard fades. I think I will go back to the Pioneer.

One thing is for certain though -- my rating is going to drop like a rock. Between all the bag tinkering and getting dropped from an MP game to take a 100 rated round, I'm sure not on an upward trajectory!

Turn/roll Ballista is the best roller disc I believe

Turn/roll Ballista is the best roller disc I believe

I've had some bad luck with trying to get the "best" discs. I'm level 50 and still waiting on both the turn/roll Ballista and the light/glide Ballista. I make do OK with a turn/glide Ballista, but it is a tad unwieldy. wind/glide Ballista is my bread 'n' butter for accurate shots longer than my Explorer can handle.

In my opinion, the Musket isn't designed to cover a Firebird slot, even with extra fade. If you can get an Accurate/Glide or Accurate/wind (my personal preference), it is great but mainly as a straight fairway for distances where a Recoil is too long.

In my opinion, the Musket isn't designed to cover a Firebird slot, even with extra fade. If you can get an Accurate/Glide or Accurate/wind (my personal preference), it is great but mainly as a straight fairway for distances where a Recoil is too long.

I bag a Glide/Accurate Musket
I use it a ton, including for ace runs on a few of the banana shaped 265-300' holes.
It has significant fade, although I definitely wouldn't call it beefy
It has plenty of beef for any shot the Recoil can't cover. No need to waste a precious bag slot for the three or four very rare shots where the Pioneer might be marginally better

I've never understood why people try to fill in the distance gap between their Explorer and their controllable distance driver (wind break/glide Ballista for me). Does carrying a straight Musket give you more ace runs? I just can't think of any holes that I blow past with my 'control' Ballista but are too long for my Explorer. On tweener shots I just aim my Ballista higher so that it stalls out a little bit. That works great for 350'ish shots.

Now granted, I'm not ace running any holes that are too long for my Explorer. So if carrying a dedicated tweener disc allows someone to attack the pin off the tee then I think I'd change my mind. But I can consistently birdie all the holes in that distance range already, so I don't need a dedicated disc just to pick up birdies.

I think it's fine to use Explorer/Ballista like that. I'm just saying I don't expect your Musket to make a good OS disc. I'd definitely stick with the Acc/Wind Pioneer if that's what you're going for.

Incidentally, congrats Woj on the Top 100 rating

I've got you in my spreadsheet already and you'll be in the next update when I do it Saturday or Sunday

What's the cutoff for top 100 these days?

960 as of this minute. It will be higher than that, after Saturday's update, I presume

My current rating (by my own ratings spreadsheet) is 957 - and I'm playing like crap lately

I've heard a rumor that the next update will make the game more difficult again so get those high ratings while you can. I personally will be grinding as much as I can before Saturday and hope I can improve on the 982 I posted when .912 first came out. Need better layouts than I've been getting lately though!!

Last edited:
960 as of this minute. It will be higher than that, after Saturday's update, I presume

My current rating (by my own ratings spreadsheet) is 957 - and I'm playing like crap lately

I've heard a rumor that the next update will make the game more difficult again so get those high ratings while you can. I personally will be grinding as much as I can before Saturday and hope I can improve on the 982 I posted when .912 first came out. Need better layouts than I've been getting lately though!!

One thing I've noticed is that the number of players in Pro division has more than doubled. I assume that's because of ratings bumps, rather than simply an increase in players.

By the way, ETdef, are you connected to the developers somehow? Or are you just "in the know" through Reddit?

I look forward to an update. I feel like I was better with 903 than 912. I have gotten better with this one, but am still really bad at throw-ins