• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf World Tour

There is also going to be edited full round coverage after the tournament from homes and ccdg, so that's great too.

Maybe we should wait to see what kind of quality they bring to the coverage, even if it is just 9 holes of a round, before we bitch too much.

If the choice is a full 18 hole round of just the lead card being followed by just one or two cameras or the back 9 of the round that includes multiple groups using more than just two cameras and there's very little lull in the action, which is preferable?

I prefer a 90 minute TV worthy production over a 4.5 hour live stream where we get the privelege of watching guys stand around during backups.
I will only miss the entertaining chatter in the com boxes of the youtube feeds.

I prefer a 90 minute TV worthy production over a 4.5 hour live stream where we get the privelege of watching guys stand around during backups.
I will only miss the entertaining chatter in the com boxes of the youtube feeds.

I agree. The live stream can be pretty boring at times. As much as I love watching disc golf the memorial round at fiesta was one of the most boring things I have ever tried to slog thru.

Now, it's not Smashboxx's fault there are delays, and they did some great things like showing the FPO coverage.
There are ways to fill some gaps, but as we go more towards expecting this to be viewed live, TDs will need to do things like go to 15 minute tee times instead of 10, leave a gap before starting tee times for the TV cards, etc.
The film crews will need to continue to add filler material beyond the ads - which are more than fine, it's great that commercials can help pay for this - but other things to fill 4 hours.

Now, it's not Smashboxx's fault there are delays, and they did some great things like showing the FPO coverage.
There are ways to fill some gaps, but as we go more towards expecting this to be viewed live, TDs will need to do things like go to 15 minute tee times instead of 10, leave a gap before starting tee times for the TV cards, etc.
The film crews will need to continue to add filler material beyond the ads - which are more than fine, it's great that commercials can help pay for this - but other things to fill 4 hours.

Oh yeah for sure. I didn't mean that as a jab at smashboxx. 4 hours of coverage on 1 foursome with like a 4 man crew is very challenging. In just saying I can see the appeal of a more focused live coverage crew with the ability to cover more ground and not have to try and fill hours of dead air time.

I'd like to see someone take this route:

mofYBre.jpg

Looking forward to seeing this event coverage. I've been saying for a while that disc golf needs more livestreams. I know it costs a lot to have extra people working and equipment but I think it's worth it. Even if just for those of us in the community who go find disc golf footage to watch.

Yeah, we understand that we need more assets and segments to fill time. That last Memorial round was one of the quickest that we ever filmed at just under 3 hours. But we were actually prepared for downtime with the Women's footage. But some of the other rounds push that 4 hour time with a lot of downtime. And we do try to show additional holes when they are nearby and play commercials. We did have some of the new ProTour assets, and they are going to produce a lot more for the upcoming tour. We have always known that filling time is the most difficult part of our broadcast.

ESPN and the PGA have trailers of upwards of 60 editors to help get them stuff in a timely manner. What I wouldn't give for that kind of man power! The hardest part is getting footage from that day and finding a way to send it back to me 2000 miles away. Each clip we record is hundreds of megabytes. I can only hope that technology can catch up to what we want in the next few years to make this more enjoyable for the average viewer.

I am really looking forward to seeing what the DGWT can produce for assets and commercials. And even though we would never do it, I am a bit envious that they are limiting their broadcast to 90 min. That is a lot less time they will have to fill.

Yeah, we understand that we need more assets and segments to fill time. That last Memorial round was one of the quickest that we ever filmed at just under 3 hours. But we were actually prepared for downtime with the Women's footage. But some of the other rounds push that 4 hour time with a lot of downtime. And we do try to show additional holes when they are nearby and play commercials. We did have some of the new ProTour assets, and they are going to produce a lot more for the upcoming tour. We have always known that filling time is the most difficult part of our broadcast.

ESPN and the PGA have trailers of upwards of 60 editors to help get them stuff in a timely manner. What I wouldn't give for that kind of man power! The hardest part is getting footage from that day and finding a way to send it back to me 2000 miles away. Each clip we record is hundreds of megabytes. I can only hope that technology can catch up to what we want in the next few years to make this more enjoyable for the average viewer.

I am really looking forward to seeing what the DGWT can produce for assets and commercials. And even though we would never do it, I am a bit envious that they are limiting their broadcast to 90 min. That is a lot less time they will have to fill.

it's obvious to me anyway that the smashboxx broadcasts have only gotten better and better. like i mentioned - part of this 'transition' to live event coverage will have to come down to the TD. up to recently, they just scheduled things to help players complete their rounds in a timely manner, with the lead card last. Things will have to change like i mentioned, where schedules are more purposefully planned for coverage and audience, and less about the players' schedule.

I could tell that the players were realizing this a bit - that their new world of being professional athletes is going to change where they are the product to be marketed. good interviews, it's a brave new world out there

Metrix Scoring is live

Attachments

• MetrixScoring.jpg
    MetrixScoring.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 56
Looks like the emerging sports livestream is not up for another 28.5 hours...

So ways to follow today:
Follow on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram
Live Scoring - http://www.discgolfworldtour.com/live/ (Updated after holes 4, 9, 14 and 18)
Recap Vid Late tonight of Round 1 http://www.discgolfworldtour.com/videos/

Round 2 Friday http://www.discgolfworldtour.com/la-mirada-open-r2-live/
Round 3 Saturday http://www.discgolfworldtour.com/la-mirada-open-r3-live/

Any big things I'm missing? Looks like it'll be a boring afternoon at work with no stream on...
Hoping someone opens up a live Facebook Video at least - that could be fun. Let us know if you find one...

If the choice is a full 18 hole round of just the lead card being followed by just one or two cameras or the back 9 of the round that includes multiple groups using more than just two cameras and there's very little lull in the action, which is preferable?

as well as play-by-play coverage of the lead card's play on the back nine

Excited to see if Bobby musick can make it into the live coverage on his home course. Pretty sure the guy lives across the street from LaMi.

Metrix Scoring is live

this is a cool feature.

I've always been curious as to greens/fairways hit in regulation for disc golf. Also putting percentages...I think that's going to be pretty amazing to see when it shows that the top pros are putting 18-20 times a round.

this is a cool feature.

I've always been curious as to greens/fairways hit in regulation for disc golf. Also putting percentages...I think that's going to be pretty amazing to see when it shows that the top pros are putting 18-20 times a round.

I'm wondering how far out the Outside the Circle putt is. If they find themselves in that no man's land of 70-80 feet... they have the strength to jump putt, but it's not really a putt. I'm going to make a boring upshot - do you call those lobs an outside the circle miss? I guess that's up to the player to say if it's an upshot or a putt?

I'm wondering how far out the Outside the Circle putt is. If they find themselves in that no man's land of 70-80 feet... they have the strength to jump putt, but it's not really a putt. I'm going to make a boring upshot - do you call those lobs an outside the circle miss? I guess that's up to the player to say if it's an upshot or a putt?

I think that they are just marking if they hit a putt outside the circle. They don't appear to be keeping statistics if you miss one. So, if you miss fifteen 35 foot putts, no one will know. But if you hit the other 3, that is what counts on the cards

Latest posts