• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Selection for a Friend

I have an old school friend who plays at our league night. He consistently shoots near par every week. He basically only throws two discs; a roc thats 30+ years old and a stingray. Both are DX. He is constantly talking about trying to find a driver that he can throw well but he hasn't found one that he can throw like the stingray. He can throw his Stingray around 250 dead straight. Can anyone suggest a distance driver that would be comparable to the stingray? Monarch? Sidewinder? Roadrunner? Vulcan? I'd like to buy one and suprise him with it.

Let me suggest you get him a putter first. A Magnet for sure. If he is throwing that Stingray straight, and not turning it over, which is what it should do, the only driver I can suggest would be a Leopard. I would also get him a Buzz for midrange shots.

He actually has a putter that he uses interchangeably with the roc. I believe it's a super puppy. He really doesn't need a putter, he just wants a driver that he can throw longer than he throws his stingray. And I'm not sure that a leopard would gain him as much distance as he is looking for...

And I'm not sure that a leopard would gain him as much distance as he is looking for...

if he is only accustomed to throwing a roc and stingray, I doubt he has the snap/arm speed to throw anything faster than a leopard. plus im sure that the stingray is pretty worn at this point, so if he's hyzer flipping it for 250' then a leopard would be perfect. it should give him 30-50' on his drives.

if there's any way to find out the weights on what he is throwing, do so and let us know. otherwise, you can't go wrong with a 150 dx leopard. it should fit his game well.

I'm guessing both his discs are mad understable, so maybe he should get a new roc. For drivers, he probably couldn't go wrong with any of innova's fairways, the Eagle (X or L) Teebird, TL, Gazelle, or leopard. If he likes understable discs, a light GL river would probably give him great D do to their slight understablilty and massive glide. Also he should look at putters too, pick whatever feels best.

Josh, We play at Steele Creek Park in Bristol, TN.

Chicken - I don't think he would ever replace his Roc. It was the first disc he ever bought.

Don't you guys think he is going to need a super understable driver? I mean I am sure the stingray is beat to hell and it's understable to begin with....

I have been leaning towards the Archangel.