• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DiscGolfPark USA

The idea of cleats is a bit ridiculous to me. Can you imagine trying to pivot on your follow through with your plant foot fixed to the ground? Bye bye acl.

The idea of cleats is a bit ridiculous to me. Can you imagine trying to pivot on your follow through with your plant foot fixed to the ground? Bye bye acl.

Yeah, it's silly. If I had to wear cleats to play a certain course I wouldn't play that certain course.

**Disclaimer** Unless it was the ONLY course.

Ive used winter cleats before in the dead of summer for tournaments that I know the TD added temp holes to that are rubber or natural pads. Ive used them before on the turf tees of Anna Paige South before. I usually never play courses where there are not concrete tees because I really do not want to injure myself.

I haven't had a pair of cleats since I played soccer in high school, but I know that it's not unheard of for people to play in them. For temp courses or ones without cement tees, some prefer to wear cleats, especially if its wet out. I know there have been plenty of times when I've been throwing in dewy or muddy conditions when the tread on my shoes or boots left a lot to be desired and cleats would have come in handy. True, you want to be cognizant of lifting your foot properly, but I don't think it'd be that big an issue. Football (both egg shaped and round) players use cleats all the time, and they are twisting and turning more than disc golfers do.

I wouldn't be averse to having a pair of cleats for discing, but one factor that would concern me would be the environmental impact. Courses already get pretty heavily beat up with normal traffic (erosion, compacted soil, exposed roots, etc.), if everyone was wearing cleats, I can only imagine it would make the effects that much more dramatic.

Yeah, it's silly. If I had to wear cleats to play a certain course I wouldn't play that certain course.

**Disclaimer** Unless it was the ONLY course.

No one is saying you have to wear cleats to play on turf. Just that it might be an option for those who care to experiment with it.

No one is saying you have to wear cleats to play on turf. Just that it might be an option for those who care to experiment with it.

(Private) Course owners might say "No Cleats" however, depending on how bad they could potentially tear up tee boxes, fairways, and around baskets and erosion concern areas.

I have family in the area and your DG scene is downright terrible. Saying easy striking distance is pretty laughable.

Entirely agree - the quality of the few best courses is barely "above average". I think of the bay area as a disc golf wasteland of sorts :|

A real question that should be asked is about maintenance. Once a course is installed, as many club members around the country could tell you, there is a never ending punchlist of maintenance and marketing needed. In addition to the actual course, the local park system, government, municipality, and local community itself, often need reassurance that the course is needed. Is DGP going to be the ones to send a rep to the city council to address concerns? Is DGP leaving an infastructure to course maintenance in place? Will DGP be providing positive marketing to the public to both introduce the game and course, and following up with any potential negative push back? I am not a big club member and might not be asking the right questions. Perhaps some of the folks here, who spend time supporting and maintaining a course, could put some of the ongoing challenges down. I am not suggesting DGP is dropping in courses and running, but I am just curious to the question of ongoing support for the courses.

Wow...we have really taken off on this in depth cleats discussion. I am positive the, more than resouceful, disc golf population will discover the best footwear and add them to their personal arsenal.

I was hoping to get some responses to the above questions. I think this is a great concept and I am pretty excited about the idea of getting more courses in the ground. Sadly, I cannot get around the firewall at work to really make use of the DGP site. If the above is addressed in detail, I would gladly wait for the opportunity to read it at a later date.

Wow...we have really taken off on this in depth cleats discussion. I am positive the, more than resouceful, disc golf population will discover the best footwear and add them to their personal arsenal.

I was hoping to get some responses to the above questions. I think this is a great concept and I am pretty excited about the idea of getting more courses in the ground. Sadly, I cannot get around the firewall at work to really make use of the DGP site. If the above is addressed in detail, I would gladly wait for the opportunity to read it at a later date.

I would love to read about this as well. I've not done the research to determine the tree species in Finland... But the courses here that are wooded get a ton of leaves during the fall. I would love to see them cleared off.

Last edited:
It was pretty sad coming from the twin cities area.

#FirstWorldDGProblems lol.

Yeah, it's really sad when we have 70 degree january days, and I'm playing at Emerald Hills. I FEEL for you in the Twin Cities area...

Yeah, it's really sad when we have 70 degree january days, and I'm playing at Emerald Hills. I FEEL for you in the Twin Cities area...

You mean, Twin Cities Area: home of the Disc Golf Pro Tour stop.

But I'd rather have Quality over Quantity anyway. Oh yeah, we have both!

Like I said, I hope to see DGP courses build to create the highest caliber DGWT stops, that show well on TV, no need for silly basket modifications. Just great courses with grandstands.

I know, I should have worded that differently. Wanted to go back and edit but I was too late.

I mentioned in an earlier post i've thrown off these DGP turf pads, and I thought they were great to throw from, so I don't think the pads are as big an issue as some may think. That's as long as the maintenance issue with the need for tons of sand was not accurate.

Orange disc, same type of rolling hills format, minus a lake. They one up'd your design! haha, just playin.

I do like the clouds... I should add some to the DGCR header.

Latest posts