• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

discing up?

Hyzer_Soze

After taking about 8 years off from serious play, I've come back this year with a ton of enthusiasm. I had to rebuild my bag from the start, so I bought some discs and started playing. I went through a lot of molds, picking and choosing what worked best for me.

I was reading about discing down and thought, "gee, that sounds like a good idea." I was playing really well, better than I ever have, but I wanted to take the next step.

When I looked at my bag, I realized that the fastest thing I threw was a River at speed 6. So apparently, I already was discing down.

Here are my approximate distances:

GL River - 315 - 335 (169g-174g)
GL Core - 275 - 300 (176g)
Z Buzz - 250 - 275 (170g)
Pure Putter - 200 - 270 (170g) (big gap here, i'm sure my form errors have something to do with that)

I've been trying to incorporate some faster discs into the bag, to gain some distance. I do this while doing field work. Nearly every time I go to collect the discs, the longest and straightest discs are always my Rivers. Occasionally, I'll get a Striker or Havok out there past the Rivers, but it's so inconsistent that it's not worth the accuracy I give up. Other discs I've tried, Flow, Valk, Vision.

I've recently gotten a 163g Roadrunner and it has some promise, but it feels like it's a few tree shots away from fipping on me.

I guess I have a couple of questions:
- Do you guys have any recommendations for discs I should try to gain a little distance?
- Am I even ready to introduce faster discs or should I continue to try and up the distances with the discs I'm throwing?
- Also, I'm open to any other suggestions for improvements you might have for an old school/noobie like myself.

I'm playing really well and beating players that throw it much further than me by being consistent, but, like everyone else, I could use the extra distance.

if that roadrunner is almost flipping on you, maybe try a valk and a sidewinder? theyll each give you that sweeping turn. i like my glow champ valk a lot because its pretty darn stable for a valk.

another thing you can do is try some lighter versions of those discs that you do like, its a quick way to sneak another 30 feet out.

hope something in there was useful!

I would keep working with what you got, and the RR is good for hyzer flips and turnovers although 163g is pretty light for a RR. I don't think high speed discs(over speed 9) will benefit you much. If you are stuck with your distances, record yourself for critique.

another thing you can do is try some lighter versions of those discs that you do like, its a quick way to sneak another 30 feet out.

I just picked up a 164 River with that in mind. I'll let you know how that works out.

I would keep working with what you got, and the RR is good for hyzer flips and turnovers although 163g is pretty light for a RR. I don't think high speed discs(over speed 9) will benefit you much. If you are stuck with your distances, record yourself for critique.

If you post a video, is it best to post a side view, a behind view or both?

Thanks for the help guys.

I think sidewinder22 has a point about sticking with what you have for the most part

I won't comment on the particular discs and weights other than to say you probably don't need to get any faster with the discs until you can really get that Buzzz up and over 300

some say you should get your putters to 300

anyway Buzzzes are pretty long and should get you quite a bit further than 250

Both if you can, rear if only doing one view.

Latest posts