• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discmania CD similar to the teebird?

disc-o maniac

Birdie Member
I recently bought a Discmania CD Craze and its a great disc, flies straight and goes far. The problem im having now is does it fly further than the teebird? i plan on getting a teebird for fairway shots but i wouldnt want these two discs to overlap if they travel the same distance. If anyone has tried both the CD and the Teebird, could you give me some comparison help? thanks

if the PD is related to the teebird, they better get a teebird-esqe model out there

Yeah the CD is more understable than a Teebird, like Rol said the PD has a more teebird-like flight pattern.

The Teebird, however is slower than the CD IIRC, so take that for what it's worth.

@KC - the PD is a little more overstable, but to me it flies pretty close to a Teebird+, how far are you throwing yours, maybe that's the issue because the PD's are speed 10 rated whereas I believe a Teebird is a 7.

Last edited:
would it be wise to grab a teebird, if i already have a CD? the CD works well for distance accuracy and i can hit fairways with it but is there a distance gap between the CD and the teebird?

would it be wise to grab a teebird, if i already have a CD? the CD works well for distance accuracy and i can hit fairways with it but is there a distance gap between the CD and the teebird?

I answered this in my last post but here goes again:

1. Teebird is slower than CD

2. If your CD (understable) flies like a Teebird (moderately overstable) then you may not have the arm to get a teebird's full potential anyway.

Whether or not there is a distance gap is dependent on you, you might want to post more about your ability level and playing style if you want more specific advice.

Well i throw the CD about 300-325 and i max out with a 168g champ wraith at about 360. I just started trying to play backhand, i throw about 400-420' FH but i want to eliminate FH and just use it on specific shots. My backhand isn't where it should be yet, it might be a mechanical problem

I'd say the CD-S is understable. I get a really long, sweeping turn out of mine with a little fade at the end.
I've been throwing it (occasionally) for two seasons now.
I do like it but with all theses Rivers and Leopards about its hard to get it in the bag sometimes.

Well i throw the CD about 300-325 and i max out with a 168g champ wraith at about 360. I just started trying to play backhand, i throw about 400-420' FH but i want to eliminate FH and just use it on specific shots. My backhand isn't where it should be yet, it might be a mechanical problem

Ok now I get where you're coming from better -

If you're looking for slower accurate shots (CD-like flight) I'd recommend a DGA Squall. I think the Teebird at your power level will distance overlap but also not be that same kind of flight you're looking for.

also, are you basing the understable-ness of the CD on personal experience or flight chart numbers? just curious

A combination of both - I haven't thrown it extensively, but I have PD's which I find to be very Teebird-like. I also throw about 380-400' so there's that to consider as well.

Awesome thanks for the advice, when I start over powering the CD ill swith the the teebird or the PD ill definatly try out the squall too. Thanks again

PD has Firebird wing and anhyzer top
it will fly "like a longer TB"
i.e. straight with fade at the end

the CD is actually more like a Viking...it should have a flight rating of -1, 2
it is also a speed 9 disc like the PD

I don't know what wing it uses but it also has the anhyzer top

those distances should work ok with both discs

if you want something more stable than the CD add a PD

if you want something to go shorter than the CD but work the same lines then you might want an Eagle

Awesome thanks for the advice, when I start over powering the CD ill swith the the teebird or the PD ill definatly try out the squall too. Thanks again

No problem - glad to spread squall love, one of my favorite discs and a very underrated mold.

PD is more like an Avenger

Lol, I agree, and also because I think the Avenger is Discraft's Teebird, though not many people I talk to seem to agree :\

if you want something to go shorter than the CD but work the same lines then you might want an Eagle

I'm assuming you mean E-L not E-X right?

My buddy has been a long time tee-bird thrower and he says the closest thing is a CD. He also likes a tad more understablish teebirds tho so who knows.

No problem - glad to spread squall love, one of my favorite discs and a very underrated mold.

Lol, I agree, and also because I think the Avenger is Discraft's Teebird, though not many people I talk to seem to agree :\

I'm assuming you mean E-L not E-X right?

This is how I see Avenger vs Teebird, I carry both so here it is.

The two I keep in my bag are great compliments to each other, kinda like teebird vs eagle.
Elite Z Avenger = put it on a line and for the most part, it will hold it. The low speed stability will pull it out of anhyzers to flex. Straight when thrown hard and lots of glide.
Champion Teebird = Starts off kinda like an avenger, and some teebirds will remain that way. The majority of the good teebirds have slightly less HSS, as well as LSS.

Both discs thrown on a slight hyzer will flip up flat, and glide for days. The Avenger will fade sooner than the teebird. Thrown on a steeper hyzer, the avenger won't flip to flat, but the teebird will attempt to (depending on the degree of hyzer)

Here are two hyzer shots, one of each. The degree of hyzer is roughly the same, but the shot line is different. The Avenger holds it the entire time while the teebird flips up flat and just goes straight. The Avenger is a little harder to see but you can see it as it's fading.

first = teebird, second = destroyer, third = avenger

Avenger
TeebirdvsAvenger-av.png

Teebird
TeebirdvsAvenger-tb.png

Now the few times I've thrown the PD, it seems like it's a mix between the two. It doesn't quite flip up as fast as a teebird, but it has more of the flight characteristics of an avenger. More stability, better in the wind, and faster.

anyone thrown the D-Line CD? been thinking bout picking one of these up to test out.. i love my dx teebirds and have been thinking bout disc'n back up a lil bit and this seemed like a good mold to test.. sorry thought this was in equipment section didnt mean to bump it up in here

My two cents as Discmaniac: The First Run CDs that had a different top and a blunter nose indeed were very much like faster TeeBirds. Depending on the one you got they might have had a bit more turn than the average TeeBird (but frankly the TeeBird isn't all that consistent itself...) but had a very similar amount of fade and mostly they were just very straight control drivers.

Then they changed the top to fit the lineup better (all Discmania drivers now have the same anhyzer top), and the disc changed. Even the most overstable high PLH specimens I've found have more turn than the old ones, and while the fade is pretty much the same on most they like to fly on an S-curve much more than the old straight line I was used to. I've also thrown several that could have replaced the DX Sidewinders I had in my bag around that time. And those are the S-Lines, the P-Lines are less stable than your average S-Line even out of the box, and the beat in period isn't long. Nowadays it is definitely a finesse driver and not a control driver. Much more Valk than TeeBird.

I do like the new Craze however. It's easy to throw since it doesn't need a lot of power to get going, can be sneaky long (I've thrown it over 400' by accident a couple of times when I was trying to hit 350') and when used properly and not really powered you can use them to shape lines quite nicely. It's definitely the most beginner friendly driver Discmania has, especially in P-Line.

That said the First Runs were definitely better and for higher power players the PD and TD are simply better options.
anyone thrown the D-Line CD? been thinking bout picking one of these up to test out.. i love my dx teebirds and have been thinking bout disc'n back up a lil bit and this seemed like a good mold to test.. sorry thought this was in equipment section didnt mean to bump it up in here
I have two and they've been a mixed bag. My first one flew like a First Run CD should and after a little seasoning it flew exactly like a speed 9 DX TeeBird would fly. The other one was considerably less stable from the start and flew more like a modern Craze, despite all D-CDs being of the First Run variety.

I don't know how the colors and weights correlate in the D-CDs if they indeed do, but for what it's worth my good one is a max weight red one, while the flippy one is a 172 yellow one.

Latest posts