• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discmania to partner with Yikun and Latitude 64

I think my favorite thing so far from reading the website is that they say that they are going to be adding higher end products to the market via lat64 and that quality matters. Im not sure if they did their research ahead of time but lat64's plastic has been know to not hold up as well as innova. They might be able to produce a more consistent flight pattern in discs but overall they are a lower quality. I dont see this going well for Discmania unless they get Simon and Eagle to throw the crap out of the new stuff.

My thoughts exactly. Maybe they want the cult to be forced to repurchase discs more frequently?

Otherwise I definitely dont think of Lat64 plastic as anything but a devolution

this is the "game changer" for "growing the sport"

lolololol

How isnt it though? Im not a Yikun or trilogy fan. But to have cheap baseline targeted at growing the sport through new players? Look at the sport in China. I would say this is a pretty good deal for discmania. The latitude partnership, i dont really get. But Yikun is a no brainer.

Very interesting news. I feel like there's going to be A LOT more details coming out about this in the upcoming weeks/months. I'm really curious what this does to the DD/Triology brand and if they are dropping Lat64.

This announcement might explain why Lat64 dropped so many of their sponsored pro's at the end of the season.

Based on what I overhear on the course, disc golfers are already pretty confused about the behind the scenes aspects of the sport.

omg this is too funny. Just as I saw your post I got a Facebook PM on this topic from a fellow dg'er: "Discmania already confuses me."

Prodigy is too much a competitor in Europe and afaik Kastaplast doesn't have anywhere near the capacity to meet Discmania's needs.

Discmania is still with Innova so the production needs will not be as great and Kastaplast just built a new facility. I think they can handle it. Could you imagine K3 MD4s #drool

I think this is pretty huge news, maybe not as huge as the conspiracy theory of DM splitting with Innova and producing in Colorado, but this is pretty big. I've always associated Discmania and Innova, so having them also partner with Lat is pretty interesting from Innova's side.

The Yikun baseline stuff I doubt would get pushed as much in North America, it makes sense to try to make base discs cheaply and near the market they want to try out.

Is Lat still molding 100% of Trilogy's line? This will put even more onto them.

Discmania doesn't release new molds every other week, so I think it'll be pretty interesting to see what style of flights/discs they start aiming their Lat molded products at. If it'll try to be its own thing with a full line as soon as possible, or targeted more toward average players at first. Because in general when I think of Discmania as a category I think of stable/trustworthy stuff, not as beginner friendly necessarily. Sure they have the FD, but I always think P2/MD3/FD3/PD/PD2 as well.

I think my favorite thing so far from reading the website is that they say that they are going to be adding higher end products to the market via lat64 and that quality matters. Im not sure if they did their research ahead of time but lat64's plastic has been know to not hold up as well as innova. They might be able to produce a more consistent flight pattern in discs but overall they are a lower quality. I dont see this going well for Discmania unless they get Simon and Eagle to throw the crap out of the new stuff.

Really? The two premium trilogy plastics that I've thrown seemed just as durable or maybe slightly even more durable than Innova premium plastics. I haven't thrown a lot of trilogy, and I'm not that big of a fan (most of my bag is Innova) but the premium trilogy seems to really be able to take a beating. I guess you have had more exposure to all of the different brand plastics so you a probably better positioned to comment than I, but I'm still surprised.
Now overall quality when it comes to disc flight, Innova is much better IMO, with the caveat that you know what run you are looking for.

I just figured people got smart and learned that Lat64 has inferior plastic compared to its competitors.

Really, you think Trilogy has inferior plastic? Shocking. If only you said that even more frequently then maybe everyone would know you think Trilogy has inferior plastic. Just to clarify...do you think Trilogy has inferior plastic?

I think this is pretty huge news, maybe not as huge as the conspiracy theory of DM splitting with Innova and producing in Colorado, but this is pretty big. I've always associated Discmania and Innova, so having them also partner with Lat is pretty interesting from Innova's side.

I know I am arguing somantics here, but I have seen this term a couple times this morning and it is being used incorrectly. Just FYI

Really, you think Trilogy has inferior plastic? Shocking. If only you said that even more frequently then maybe everyone would know you think Trilogy has inferior plastic. Just to clarify...do you think Trilogy has inferior plastic?

Correct. Its an opinion based on customer feedback and personal experience.

Does anybody know who owns the patents for the existing discmania discs? Could discmania even have another manufacturer make p2's?

Discmania doesn't release new molds every other week, so I think it'll be pretty interesting to see what style of flights/discs they start aiming their Lat molded products at. If it'll try to be its own thing with a full line as soon as possible, or targeted more toward average players at first. Because in general when I think of Discmania as a category I think of stable/trustworthy stuff, not as beginner friendly necessarily. Sure they have the FD, but I always think P2/MD3/FD3/PD/PD2 as well.

It's a pretty common marketing tactic. When you want to expand but don't want to risk losing your company's identity, the easy answer is to craft a new line. I agree that Discmania's discs have typically been aimed at experienced players. They also have a very clean, professional image that they've cultivated. It makes sense to open up a brand new line that is completely separate as they explore more discs for the Average Joe. While the news is kind of fun and exciting (especially since it's the offseason still), this really isn't groundbreaking. It's a tactic that's been done by hundreds of companies in various industries.

Latest posts