• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discraft Magnet Plastics

mattw

Double Eagle Member
I noticed on Ebay that they have Magnets in Z and ESP. The Firm Magnet has become my primary putter and I was curious about the other plastics. Usual questions about flight and glide between the Pro D, ESP and Z. Any help is appreciated or links. With the search function down its hard to find things.

I had a ghost stamped Z magnet last year and sold it off...very domey and felt very strange?

Its things like that that make me think I am better off keeping my cash. I would hate to spend $18 on something that just doesnt feel good in the hand. I do like the Pro D Firm Magnets for feel and glide. I just get curious about other plastics when I find a new disc I like.

i've heard the Z mags have a lot less glide. I beleive the phrase was 'flies like a brick tied to another brick.'

Z magnets are really over stable, more so then any other putter I've thrown (but I haven't thrown a vp).

With any putter the feel of the plastic is important but individual preferences vary a lot.

Some things are risky to order online unless you don't mind the hassle of returning them if they are not what you want. I don't order shoes or gloves or hats or pants online because I am too picky about how they fit. I would not order a putter online either. I am too particular about the feel of the plastic for a putter.

I have noticed a general trend in putters that the harder plastics tend to be more domey. The Z Magnets and Titanics I have seen fit this trend. Since I don't like domey putters these have never gained a spot in my bag.

The most common versions of Magnets are the hard and soft D plastics. But there are variances in how hard or how soft any particular disc or run or color within a run turn out. I don't care for the hardest of the Hard Magnets or the softest of the Soft Magnets. I like the medium of both and those are what I use.

Putters last a long time so I am patient and willing to wait until I find something which feels perfect. Of course, I also visit the Discraft factory regularly and check out every new run of every disc I throw and every disc I might want to test out. A similar thing could be accomplished by regularly visiting a major retailer and checking out the new stuff.

With a putter the feel is more important to me than the flight characteristics. Putters tend to fly pretty similarly and within 30 feet of the basket it doesn't really matter. I can adapt to whatever small differences there are. Outside the putting circle (so short upshots) I usually walk up to the shot holding a Soft Magnet and a Rattler and decide which disc to use based on the conditions and how risky I want to be. But still, for short upshots it not hard to learn how a putter flies and adapt to it. I would rather start with a putter which feels good in the hand than try to adapt to a putter which doesn't feel good, no matter how it flies.

The one flight characteristic I need in a putter for a controlled upshot is soft and dead nuts straight. In order to run a shot but not glide far past if it misses I want it to fly straight (without having to release it on a slight anhyzer line to force it straight and without having to throw it hard to get it to fly straight), then hover and drop straight down (no hyzer, no skip). This flight comes naturally from a Rattler or from a really, really broken in putter.

Mark Ellis said:
The one flight characteristic I need in a putter for a controlled upshot is soft and dead nuts straight. In order to run a shot but not glide far past if it misses I want it to fly straight (without having to release it on a slight anhyzer line to force it straight and without having to throw it hard to get it to fly straight), then hover and drop straight down (no hyzer, no skip). This flight comes naturally from a Rattler or from a really, really broken in putter.

This is what I am looking for. I picked out some Rattlers for FrankD and I must say I realy liked them. They felt nice. I am looking for that upshot disc that I can just run at the basket. Every time you talk about the Rattler it makes me want to realy try it. The first time I used a Rattler was before I started posting here. I didnt understand what the disc was designed for so I was trying to crank it off the tee and use it as my only putter even on windy days. Thank you everyone for the input.

mattw said:
Mark Ellis said:

This is what I am looking for. I picked out some Rattlers for FrankD and I must say I realy liked them. They felt nice. I am looking for that upshot disc that I can just run at the basket. Every time you talk about the Rattler it makes me want to realy try it. The first time I used a Rattler was before I started posting here. I didnt understand what the disc was designed for so I was trying to crank it off the tee and use it as my only putter even on windy days. Thank you everyone for the input.

Lightweight QMS is what I use for that shot. It doesn't take much to get it to go and it stays true. Assuming you don't overpower it, it won't rip past on a bad shot.

I have the Titanic. It's not 'dead nuts straight'. By any means. It is a decent putter though. I think I prefer the XD though.

Latest posts