• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discraft needs to step their game back up'

You could make the arguement Discraft has the best mid selection in the industry, period.
Their entire mid line up is solid:
Stratus
Meteor
Buzzz SS
Comet
Buzzz
Wasp
Hornet
Drone
... and don't forget the Nebula (alias Buzzz OS).

Whereas Gateway's bread and butter is the putter, I think DC's is the mid. As for the rest of their line...

Their putters are quite good too - Challengers and Magnets are pretty popular (even if they don't sell as well as Aviars or Wizards), and the Focus and Banger have their fans as well.

Some people like their distance drivers, some don't, but they do OK with their the Nuke (+SS & OS), Surges (+SS), Avengers (+SS), Force, only time will tell about the Crank.

Despite having some good molds like the XL, XS, Predator, Stalker... fairway drivers has to be where they lose the greatest marketshare.

Id throw a Zone in the mix, but I dont think it is even debatable... Innova has the best full lineup of fairways, Leopard, TL, Teebird, Firebird, Eagle, Viking, Whippet, Viper but that isnt what I read as the point... Discraft has the best mids but how are they promoting that. Its tough Innova got promotion with their drivers and blizzard plastic with the world record... mids arent flashy..like putters or drivers...

You could make the arguement Discraft has the best mid selection in the industry, period.
Their entire mid line up is solid:
Stratus
Meteor
Buzzz SS
Comet
Buzzz
Wasp
Hornet
Drone
... and don't forget the Nebula (alias Buzzz OS).

Despite having some good molds like the XL, XS, Predator, Stalker... fairway drivers has to be where they lose the greatest marketshare.

I agree about the mids. If I had to go with only one company for mids it would be Discraft as the Comet is not replaceable in my bag, and the Buzzz is close to irreplaceable.

I think the XS and XL might be candidates for the "Innova Treatment". OOP the mold and re-release it (or a VERY similar mold) a year later under a new and better name.

The Zone is not really a putter, but is definitely a superb OS approach disc/midrange/short driver.

Yeah I think drivers (both fairways and distance) would be the only problem if I were to switch to all Discraft (not that I would.)

I do see a lot of Nukes, Avengers and their variants thereof on the course. Even though I think the Surge, Force, Stalker and X are their best drivers, I don't see much of them.

But I see tons of Buzzzes. Who needs to appeal to Johnny come latelys when you have a classic?

Yeah I think drivers (both fairways and distance) would be the only problem if I were to switch to all Discraft (not that I would.)

I do see a lot of Nukes, Avengers and their variants thereof on the course. Even though I think the Surge, Force, Stalker and X are their best drivers, I don't see much of them.

But I see tons of Buzzzes. Who needs to appeal to Johnny come latelys when you have a classic?

Most folks like me who throw an all Discraft bag carry surges and forces. And usually a predator.

I carry Discraft mids, but I can't even list what fairways or drivers I would use.
Other than a Stalker, I don't know anything about them.

I think Discraft is doing fine not great but fine.

They solved the TI color problem perhaps a little late.

They made Z Nebulas good, which unfortunately didn't fly like Nebulas bad.

They need more beginner friendly understable drivers. Perhaps a FlashSS and a MantisSS.

They already have the X XL, Glide, Express, Impact, Stratus, Avenger SS, and the Mantis is now more understable than it was at the Ace Race. All of those are suitable for a beginner.

I carry Discraft mids, but I can't even list what fairways or drivers I would use.
Other than a Stalker, I don't know anything about them.

Well they have the XL, which reminds me of a disc halfway between Eagle X and Eagle L in terms of flight, can forehand, backhand, overhand, or roll and at one time was a world distance holder, arguably the best beginner driver ever made and is still in several pros bags. Your Avengers are in the speed 9-10 range (same rim as speed 9 but bigger disc so I think they glide a bit farther), the regular is a nice stable to overstable flyer similar to a Starfire or PD, and the SS version is flies like a Sidewinder and for arms under 350-375 probably the best choice for max distance. The Predator flies like a broke in Firebird, though I've heard many are going to DGA Tsunami's instead, and the Flick is a super beefy Monster/Spirit type flyer that has quite a following do to the fact that it's at that speed 10 cutoff for lightweight and you can get the Z's all the way down to 150 which many players keep to have something they can use to learn forehand or overhand. The Nuke and it's variants are the top of the line for distance, the regular Z one reminds me of having a champ Boss or Destroyer that flies like the Pro Plastic stability. These are only the ones I've messed with, the Surges, Mantis and Crank all seem well received, the problem with Discrafts drivers is that people have seen flight charts for years with 3 different categories while the fairway/distance classification other companies have is easier for most players to understand. I was glad to see them revise this recently. It's much like Gateway, driver wise for years all they had was one or two versatile molds and overstable stuff, but now they are coming along nicely with the molds they have added in the last 2-3 years.

I think Discraft is doing fine not great but fine.

They solved the TI color problem perhaps a little late.

They made Z Nebulas good, which unfortunately didn't fly like Nebulas bad.

They need more beginner friendly understable drivers. Perhaps a FlashSS and a MantisSS.

MantisSS, compared to the ace race disc, the z mantis is a SS. I for one can't stand what they turned the mantis in to.

They already have the X XL, Glide, Express, Impact, Stratus, Avenger SS, and the Mantis is now more understable than it was at the Ace Race. All of those are suitable for a beginner.

I should have said they need new beginner friendly distance drivers. The contradiction that might be. All those discs are good in their own ways, but the new player wants something new and fast. I sell a decent amount of fundraiser Discraft plastic out of the trunk; I can talk a new player into buying a Crank instead of a NukeOS, but they will not touch an AvengerSS.

Little do they know they could probably throw a Comet farther than a Nuke.

I do agree that from a pure sales perspective, a flashy new US distance driver would be a good thing to release.

Latest posts