• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Discraft XL: I just don't understand this disc

RoundWounds

Eagle Member
I have a FLX XL that I got in a prize pack and I was super excited to see it there because I had been wanting to try one.

What I like:

- Small rim
- 1.5 rating
- Nice grippy plastic

So I figure this will be my goto fairway/control driver.

WRONG

Why is this thing so understable? I know Discraft's 1.5 rating will be paired with it's speed rating, but my Comet and Buzzz are more stable than this thing.

What's with the 1.5 rating?

I just don't get this disc, I expect a stable control driver and I end up with something more flippy than my Comets.

That's a weird XL if its more flippy than a Comet. I would more liken them to being slightly more stable than a Leopard in equivalent plastic, maybe between a Leo and a Teebird. Then again,that doesn't explain FLX plastic.

It's very odd. I know I don't have solid form, but I can get much, much more out of my Comet/Buzzz than this XL. On the upside, it's a very reliable turnover disc.

Every XL I have thrown has fit the 1.5 rating pretty accurately and has broken into a 1 or .5 eventually. Could be the FLX plastic, I have never tried one.

apparently flx xls are not very popular amongst the masses just what ive heard very inconsistent and undesirable flight patterns.
but on the whole this goes for most drivers in flx. people seem to prefer flx drones and flx putters compared to other discs manufactured in the plastic

I have a Z/FLX/X XL the FLX I have is the way more understable then the X and Z. I don't know if it is this way with all FLX XL.

That's a weird XL if its more flippy than a Comet. I would more liken them to being slightly more stable than a Leopard in equivalent plastic, maybe between a Leo and a Teebird. Then again,that doesn't explain FLX plastic.

This is my experience as well. I had a FLX several years ago, but it was too overstable for me. I would love to have a flippy XL. Hint, Hint...

the xl i used to have would just stand up then fall strait it hardly ever faded. but i got rid of it when i got my xxx and my nebulas i have no need for the xl anymore and i got rid of it.

The only XL that I have that I would call 'flippy' is my beat Pro-D, and that's exactly the reason I carry it, for turnover shots. I have never tried one in FLX, however, so that may be why.

FWIW I have to push my Zs out past 300' before I get some turn out of them. How far were you throwing it?

Thinking same thing, and can really agree with the underlined part.

I have an new ESP XL - throws pretty straight,not quite as prone to turn as a new Star lep.
My Z-Comet always wants to turnover - did so right out the box.

As for FLX: my FLX Sure gets pretty beat (including plenty of tommies & thumbers) and is still overstable.

I get my Buzzz/Comet to about 300 ft. The Buzzz is very straight with some fade at the end, the Comet is more of an S surve or dead straight when my form is on key. The XL will get to 300 ft. but I either have to manipulate my throw a LOT of throw it nose up to add more stability.

Weights:

ESP Buzzz 165
Z Comet 177
FLX XL 173

Edit: For reference, I throw an Avenger SS 350.

I wouldn't sweat it much... everyone's a bit different, and maybe the XL just doesn't take to your release the way you'd like. Sounds like your form can't be all that bad or that Comet would be telling you all about it. To me, it seems a bit longer and bit and a half more stable than a Buzz.

What I don't know is how it will beat in relative to a leo... out of the box its a bit more stable. Just dunno how it'll wear.

less torque, more snap. XL's are very easy to turn over with torque. it should do what he said

the xl i used to have would just stand up then fall strait it hardly ever faded.

weight is a big factor on these. i have a couple low 160's that turn pretty easy, 170+ will sometimes flex out for me.

less torque, more snap. XL's are very easy to turn over with torque. it should do what he said

weight is a big factor on these. i have a couple low 160's that turn pretty easy, 170+ will sometimes flex out for me.
I don't think my form is perfect, but if I get straighter shots of my Comet/Buzzz doesn't that say something?

Just today my dad was showing off his new 160g X XL. He asked me to rip it so he could see what it would do and how it behaved with some power. I put it on a steep hyzer flip caught a really good distance line, it ended up going about 460' slowly turning the whole way. I had a little tailwind, but that sucker was cruising. Definately more flip than a Comet but I've never really felt the Comet (especially Z) to be flippy discs. I'd never think to throw the Comet as hard as I threw the XL.

If I was forced to compare the XL I threw to another disc I would say it flies like an easier to throw River.

You probably just got a lemon.

I don't have any experience, but I've heard rumors of XL's having quite a bit of variance in ESP and FLX plastics. It might just be a particularly understable XL.

Yeah, i will say I only had one ESP and it was OK. Had a Z before and thought it sucked balls. Had 2 in X plastic and they both were great. If Innova ever screwed up Leopards somehow by changing the mold or cutting out Pro Plastic, I would switch to X XLs in a heartbeat.

Latest posts